PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question

Pat Barry
06-27-2017, 3:53 PM
I have about a 20 foot long red pine log that I'd like to harvest for lumber. It fell down during a storm last year. The tree is on an embankment, fairly steep, leaning out over and just to the shoreline of the lake by my cabin. Last winter I cut off the top and managed to drag a 5 foot long (11 inch diameter) piece across the snow / ice. It was all I could manage to move that. Now what I'd like to do is to cut the balance into 6 or maybe 7 foot lengths (easy enough) and move the pieces up off the shoreline and up the property where I can work with them.

I plan to cut the pieces lengthwise with my chainsaw into rough lumber.

This is the 5 foot piece after ripping it in half with my chainsaw

In this picture you can see the tree laying down the hill on the middle right of the picture (before I cut the top off).
How would you guys go about moving the log pieces in a location like this where there is no good access for power equipment?

Chet R Parks
06-27-2017, 4:23 PM
Hi Pat,
A winch on an ATV or a stand alone 12 volt winch (sold at Fleet farm) should be able to handle that hill. Picture may be deceiving to me as to the complexity???
Chet

Chet R Parks
06-27-2017, 4:39 PM
I ment to add that it might be a good application for using a snatch block, if a straight line pull isn't possible???
Chet

Pat Barry
06-27-2017, 8:54 PM
I ment to add that it might be a good application for using a snatch block, if a straight line pull isn't possible???
Chet
I have never heard of a snatch block. Need to read up a bit on that. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, the hill is about 15 to 29 feet tall. Now that everything has greened up there are various bushes, small saplings, weeds, etc in the direct path. Probaby need to pull it sideways about 30 feet and then up the hill.

Pat Barry
06-28-2017, 9:00 AM
Would you suggest dragging it, or is there a better way to skid it somehow? Worried about how much force it's going to take to just drag it.

Chet R Parks
06-28-2017, 10:00 AM
Hi Pat,
After you pull the tree over by using the snatch block to make the turn, then you can use the snatch block to pull the 6-7 foot logs up the hill. Keep in mind that when pulling up the hill anchor the other end of the cable near your pulling device so that the snatch block is in the middle of the cable. You now have a 2:1 mechanical advantage which should be no problem for a 6-7 foot log even up that hill. I'm not sure I'm explaining this vary well, sorry. I'm certainly no expert but have done similar in the past. There are some videos on youtube about using a snatch block.
Chet

Pat Barry
06-28-2017, 11:11 AM
Hi Pat,
After you pull the tree over by using the snatch block to make the turn, then you can use the snatch block to pull the 6-7 foot logs up the hill. Keep in mind that when pulling up the hill anchor the other end of the cable near your pulling device so that the snatch block is in the middle of the cable. You now have a 2:1 mechanical advantage which should be no problem for a 6-7 foot log even up that hill. I'm not sure I'm explaining this vary well, sorry. I'm certainly no expert but have done similar in the past. There are some videos on youtube about using a snatch block.
Chet

Oh, I see now. Thank you - I'll try this weekend weather permitting

Chet R Parks
06-28-2017, 12:15 PM
Pat,
Good luck with the recovery and the weather. Let us know how it turns out when you do it.
Chet

Clint Bach
07-01-2017, 8:08 AM
How about floating the logs to a boat ramp and using a trailer?

Al Launier
07-01-2017, 10:03 AM
How about floating the logs to a boat ramp and using a trailer?

Sounds logical to me if there is a ramp nearby, he has a boat, and can wait until the lake ice is gone. Then again it's handy to take advantage of the ice while the lake is still frozen.

Bill Dufour
07-09-2017, 10:30 AM
No idea what country you are in but many places trees fallen into water courses are considered to be public property. make sure of the legality of harvesting this timber before you invest too much time into it. Many states in the USA the ownership of lakes, rivers etc is not recognized and you can not prevent people from using "your river". That lake looks big enough that I doubt you own it all.
I do not really know what that means for ownership of trees that have fallen into "your lake".
I can tell you if you live in the western USA you do not own any rights to the water on your land unless you have been using it for decades and no one else has rights to it either upstream or down stream. This is because western states inherited Spanish water laws when they became part of the USA. Water rights are much more important in the west then other parts of the USA. I understand that farmers in the east do not even have to water their crops!
Bill
California, USA