PDA

View Full Version : Drawknife?

Marc Langille
10-24-2005, 7:10 PM
Hi,

I am in the midst of finalizing my cherry hall table, and I would like to underbevel the top. In keeping with making the table with hand tools, it would be easiest to use a nice, sharp drawknife to quickly remove the stock.

Problem is that I don't own a drawknife - yet.

Anyone happen to have another suggestion as to what tool to use? I watched the instructor remove the "waste" stock quickly with a drawknife and then hand plane it smooth. Very impressive on how nice it looked. No power tool needed... :)

Thoughts? :confused:

Thanks,
Marc

Alan Turner
10-24-2005, 7:14 PM
Rust places are where my drawknives are from. $20 - $30 should net you a very fine one by a good maker, and you could spend a bunch less if you get lucky. A good, sharp drawknife is a pleasure. The other day I had to fit a 2x3 into an uneven space for a bit of floor repair, and the bandsaw was not yet wired, so out comes the trusty drawknife, and about 5 min. later it fits. No dust or noise.

Steve Wargo
10-24-2005, 7:21 PM
If there's a lot of stock to remove then just set your jack plane for a deep cut. Mark where you want your chamfers to be on both edges of the board and plane away. finish up with a few light passes with a smoother. A draw knife will work too, but I often lack the control needed to use a draw knife effectively.

Rick Schubert
10-24-2005, 7:50 PM
Lee Valley has several different styles, including these two. I have the 13" model and like it so far.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=44502&cat=1,130,43332

Rick

Steve Schoene
10-24-2005, 8:01 PM
Using a draw knife is a skill requiring lots of practice--I've got a couple, but usually find it a lot easier to just use plane. Let me repeat---at LOT easier.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-25-2005, 8:24 AM
I have used a draw knife for making my log furniture. I will agree with Steve, it is a tool that takes SOME (a lot) of practice to master :)

Jerry Palmer
10-25-2005, 9:54 AM
With a lot of material to remove, a drawknife is a good choice. Pay real close attention to the grain direction and go slowly and it is not real difficult to use, in my opinion.

I've also used a spoke shave for taking off a decent bit working toward a bevel where significant material needed to be removed. Again, attention to the grain helps master the problem.

Marc Langille
10-25-2005, 7:15 PM
Thanks for all of your suggestions... I also could use the drawknife for other work too, so the jack plane may be the tool to do the job - more control...

I have 2 acres of oak trees, so it may come in handy... ;)

Ernie Hobbs
10-25-2005, 9:45 PM
You might want to check out the "Austrian Drawknife" from Lee Valley. I've had it a couple of years and am very satisfied. It's one of my favorite tools. Not sure what they sell for now but I paid about $35.