PDA

View Full Version : Trend air shield

allan kuntz
06-26-2017, 1:31 PM
can you wire these units in direct so I can eliminate the charging. I know you are limited in movement but I really am only wearing it at the lathe. Every thing I need for the lathe is within arms reach
thanks
Al

Roger Chandler
06-26-2017, 2:22 PM
I just got my second Trend Airshield Pro, and I have had my first one for over 5 years. The unit has a circuit board inside it, and likely has electronic circuitry that uses only D/C power from the battery pack. I do not know that for certain, but I think its a pretty good bet. If you follow charging instructions, you likely will not have problems.

Randy Heinemann
06-26-2017, 6:22 PM
I own one also. The best bet is to buy an extra battery or two. Mine usually lasts several hours on a charge. Depending on how long is your longest stretch in the shop, buying an extra 2 batteries should cover it. Don't know what you mean by wiring in "direct so" but would just use them as designed. Connecting the shield to a power source would just limit your movement and make it likely the power line would be pulled from its source when you move too far or catch it with your arm.

John Grace
06-26-2017, 7:07 PM
You'll find that 'tethering' to be cumbersome...I know I did. If your battery won't hold a charge for more than a few hours it needs changing. Recommend getting the Tenergy charger and a new battery. Worked wonders for me and my battery 'beep' has not gone off once even on a six to seven hour run.

Brice Rogers
06-26-2017, 7:40 PM
Is it possible to have the Trend air shield plugged in to the charger while you are wearing and using it?

Thomas Canfield
06-26-2017, 7:48 PM
I changed to a Tenergy charger when I got my new unit (dropped the old unit too many times and battery was also going bad). I will often take it off when at a break point in action and not generating dust, and connect it to the charger. I have yet to have the battery give out before I do. I did add a hanger strap (a loop of string) to hang the unit close to where I am working since the unit does not have a good hanging point (see initial comment about dropping original too many times). I would hate to try to work with a cord attached.

Rich Colvin
06-26-2017, 10:47 PM
I have a second battery and an external charger. So far, as one gets discharged, the other is ready to go. I really like mine. Nice to breathe better.

Bob Vavricka
06-26-2017, 11:05 PM
If the batteries are weak, it might be worthwhile and cheaper to rebuilt. I believe there is an old thread on here about rebuilding them. I rebuilt both of mine and also bought the Tenergy charger. I believe I shortened the life of the first set by overcharging them since I tended to plug it in and forgot about it since I don't turn everyday.

Brian Tymchak
06-28-2017, 7:44 AM
To those that have the Tenergy charger setup, which unit did you buy?

Thanks, Brian

Roger Chandler
06-28-2017, 7:56 AM
http://www.all-battery.com/index.aspx/ImageGallery/Index?productId=4337

Brian Tymchak
06-29-2017, 8:20 PM
Thanks Roger!

Rick Gibson
07-06-2017, 12:57 PM
In order to prevent overcharging I just use a light timer. Mine uses pins to turn on and off so I removed the on pin set it to run for 16 hrs. and it turns off at the end of that time. Timer continues to run but won't turn the charger on again until I turn it on manually.

Randy Heinemann
07-06-2017, 6:41 PM
I assume you get good results charging it for 16 hours, but the guy I talked with when discussing charging indicated that 16 hours would be too long and would likely be over charging. I generally charge mine only about 6 - 8 hours and get a full charge from that.

Chuck Norwood
07-06-2017, 8:11 PM
I have the batteries rebuilt at Batteries Plus for $35/ea about every 18 to 24 months.

Rick Gibson
07-06-2017, 9:38 PM
I assume you get good results charging it for 16 hours, but the guy I talked with when discussing charging indicated that 16 hours would be too long and would likely be over charging. I generally charge mine only about 6 - 8 hours and get a full charge from that.

I thought I got the 16 hr from the manual but that may have been initial charge, if you are getting good results with 8 hrs I'll cut mine back and see how it works. As is the batteries generally last me 3 or 4 sessions as my back gives out long before the batteries do.

Dane Riley
07-07-2017, 12:01 AM
My original (non pro) Airshield is still going strong with an external 3AA battery pack. When the batteries run low charged ones go in and the discharged ones go in a AA smart charger. Having the batteries velcroed to the back reduces neck strain .

Peter Wilcox
07-07-2017, 9:44 AM
I rebuilt mine with NiMh cells and also got a Tenergy smart charger. Been going strong for about 3 years. I usually get 3 or 4 four hour turning sessions from a charge. The rebuild was really easy since the battery pack is a simple snap together unit and I bought cells with tabs already welded on. All I had to do is solder the tabs together using the old cells as a pattern/guide.

Joe Kaufman
07-08-2017, 1:20 PM
I also rebuilt a couple Pro batteries with NiMh cells, with the highest capacity rating that I could locate, 4500 mAh. They only last about half the time in operation, 2.5 hours vs.4.5 hours. They also recharge in half the time with the original charger which does drop the current when batteries are supposedly fully charged. I also purchased two sets of Li-Ion cells and corresponding charger for rebuild, but later decided that cheep Li-Ion cells that are subject to thermal run away may not be the best thing to have on the top of my head.

Peter, Did you reinstall the original current limiting device between two of the cells? I did.