PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Burl

Glenn Hodges
10-24-2005, 4:51 PM
This mesquite burl NE bowl is 13.5 inches wide X 6 inches high at the tallest point. It has a lacquer finish. It looks whopsided as they say down here, but that is the way the thing grew so that is the way it came out....kind of natural like. One part has more of the burl in it than the other. As always coments are welcomed, pro and con.

Dick Parr
10-24-2005, 4:54 PM
Great looking NE Glenn.

Michael Stafford
10-24-2005, 7:16 PM
Man, that is nice. I love the rich color of mesquite and you did a nice job of displaying it. Beautiful work!:)

Jim Ketron
10-24-2005, 7:26 PM
Beautiful NE Bowl Glenn!
Nice shape and some awesome figure in it!
Glenn I think if you would use a shorter foot around 1/8"-1/4", It would just lift it up enough to give it a look like it is floating off the table.
Not that there is anything wrong with what you have its an awesome piece.This is just my opinion, and I normally don't do much critiquing of someones work but I know you wont take it the wrong way.
Jim

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-24-2005, 8:00 PM
Super job, Glen. I got to get more of that next time in New Mexico.

Bruce

John Miliunas
10-24-2005, 9:13 PM
Great job on the form, finish and retention of the natural edge, Glen. :) That said, I think I kind of agree with Jim K. on the foot. In this case, I think "less" would add "more" to the overall look. Just MHO and Lord knows I haven't done enough turning as of late to be too critical!:rolleyes: :) :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
10-24-2005, 9:49 PM
A beautiful bowl Glenn.

Ernie

Keith Burns
10-24-2005, 10:29 PM
I like the "sigoggled" look ! I have to agree with the others, shorten the foot. Other than that it is a great turning. Just turned my first mesquite bowl tonight, man is it some great looking wood.

Carole Valentine
10-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Beautiful job! It looks to me like you have it sitting on a disk of the same wood so the foot is really only about half the height it appears to be. Am I seeing things?

Glenn Hodges
10-25-2005, 5:22 AM
Okay, you people are just two keen to slip this one by with out me getting caught. This was one of those bowls I had worked on so much and I went through the bottom when working on the bottom. You can see the dark curve in the bottom on the inside picture. Most of this figure was there when I first turned the bowl. After investing so many hours, I was determined to save this one so I turned a piece of this same wood and glued it to the bottom of the bowl, then pored colored epoxy into the hole from the top, but not quite filling the bottom of the void in the bottom of the hole. I let this cure over night and the next morning I put some coffee grounds and thin CA glue over the epoxy, sanded it with 220, 320, 400, 600, and 800 grit sandpaper, and resprayed it a few times with lacquer, and here we have a halfway looking saved bowl. I was wondering if you all would catch me at it, good observation. BTW I don't like the foot either, but that is why it is there, it's another one of those design changes. And that's the way I kept my sanity over this bowl, and from saying to many bad words in my shop. It is below 60 degrees down here so I think I will go and light my wood heater in my shop this morning.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-25-2005, 8:34 AM
Glenn, great save on that NE!! I would have done the same!

Mark Cothren
10-25-2005, 9:32 AM
Hey Glenn, it was a great save! The foot is a little distracting, but knowing the whole story now gets my eye off of it.

Thanks for the picture and sharing the save!

Jim Ketron
10-25-2005, 6:16 PM
Nice save Glenn! would have been a shame to lose such a nice Bowl!
I would have probably done the same;)

John Miliunas
10-25-2005, 6:50 PM
I would have probably done the same;)

Yeah, me too...Well, maybe. Then again, I may have just marched into the house with it and presented it to the LOML as a real fancy funnel!:D

Nice save, Glenn!:) :cool:

Michael Stafford
10-25-2005, 7:48 PM
Glenn, you are so smart to save it that way. I would have just cried in my iced tea......

Harry Pye
10-27-2005, 9:37 AM
Glenn,

Amazing! I just did nearly exactly the same thing with a small, cherry NE bowl. Got the inside diameter larger than the outside diameter and converted the piece into a funnel. Mine is somewhere down in the trash can. Maybe I can fish it out and try your treatment. Great idea!

Glenn Hodges
10-27-2005, 2:26 PM
Harry, a lot of what we do turning bowls involves problem solving. Going through the bottom has ruined more than a few for me. About the time I think I have it mastered, bam, it happens again. This is one way I figured out how to save a bowl I deemed worth saving. I hope it might help others.

Keith Burns
10-27-2005, 2:56 PM
Nice "sneaky" save.

Harry Pye
10-27-2005, 7:38 PM
Glenn, I took another look at this tonight before taking the trash out. Couldn't figure a way to hold it in the lathe, it is natural edge, so just left it for the trash man.