PDA

View Full Version : Lock Miter Master Patented- finally!!

Alan Schaffter
06-24-2017, 10:34 AM
For the last couple of years I have been lurking more than posting, but I thought this was newsworthy. Some may remember that in addition to hobby woodworking, I also do a bit of tinkering- adding VFD's and tricking out my woodworking machines, designing and building a stow-away hoist for my second story shop, building my own cyclone and designing and building autogates for and automating my dust collection system. A few years ago I came up with an idea for a revolutionary box joint jig that actually worked. Though I had never done anything like that before, a friend suggested I try to sell or licensed it. I was lucky to do so- INCRA turned my idea into the I-BOX which continues to sell.

A few years after that, after a few unsuccessful attempts to sell/license other misc. ideas and designs. . . that were evidently considered less marketable by potential licensees :confused: (I came really close a couple of times!), I had another "light bulb moment." I came up with a design for a little jig that made it easy to set up the notoriously finicky lock miter router bit. It worked so well that I called it the Lock Miter Master. In short order I was also able to license it to Infinity Cutting Tools. Since the design was so simple it took less than 6 months from proposal, to licensing, to production, to market!!! Over four years ago, just before the jig hit the market, I drafted and submitted a Provisional Patent Application to the USPTO. Then, after almost a year of successful sales and before the protections provided by the provisional application, which are only good for a year, expired, Infinity decided we should apply for a full Utility Patent which we did in April 2014- over 3 years ago!

We just learned that a patent has issued!! It sure took a long time! I know, I know, many say a patent is only as good as the money you have to pay lawyers to defend it, but Yippee, anyway! Below is a partial image of the first page of the patent followed by a photo of a retail item. The patent has 17 pages worth of drawings and patent gobbledegook, all for something barely the size of a book of matches, but if you want to read it follow this link to the USPTO webpage (http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&docid=09682492&IDKey=B6E8B6BB55C7%0D%0A&HomeUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fpatft.uspto.gov%2Fnetacgi%2Fn ph-Parser%3FSect1%3DPTO1%2526Sect2%3DHITOFF%2526d%3DP ALL%2526p%3D1%2526u%3D%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25 252Fsrchnum.htm%2526r%3D1%2526f%3DG%2526l%3D50%252 6s1%3D9682492.PN.%2526OS%3DPN%2F9682492%2526RS%3DP N%2F9682492). If you are not familiar with the Lock Miter Master and how it works, check it out on the Infinity website.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/LMM_Patent.jpg

https://smhttp-ssl-55170.nexcesscdn.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/0/00-lmm_base_4.jpg

Malcolm McLeod
06-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Congratulations!!

As an engineer, I've always thought that a patent is a bit like winning an Oscar (Noble Prize maybe? Or, is that too snooty?). I've helped someone 'smooth out' their idea and so jointly applied for one that never issued, so can imagine your pride. Enjoy! And I wish you much success with it.:cool:

Dave Sabo
06-24-2017, 12:00 PM
Congrats.

Does your jig work with any lock miter bit , or only the one sold by infinity ?

Andy Giddings
06-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Congrats Alan from a happy user of your device. Dave, the jig works on any bit I've tried it on so far (Whiteside, Amana router bits and Felder Shaper cutter)

Alan Schaffter
06-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Congrats.

Does your jig work with any lock miter bit , or only the one sold by infinity ?

So far it has worked with every router bit we have tried- certainly all those available from US retailers. It uses a different principle than setup blocks which must match the cutter profile exactly and are limited to one specific stock thickness.

It will also work with shaper bits whose carbide cutting edge is generally a radius. While it can be used to set the height of shaper bits that have a carbide that is offset- a chord, not a radius- it is extremely difficult to set the fence position due to the geometry. Believe it or not the Infinity shaper bit is one of those with an offset carbide.

Unlike all other setup jigs, the Lock Miter Master can be used to set up and cut lock miters in stock of different thickness, which the instructions provided by some lock miter bit sellers say is impossible! It can also be used to make special (offset) lock miter joints. Infinity has a (my) fully illustrated manual on line for viewing and download.

Carbide is a radius:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/2580/medium/Shaper_New.jpg

Carbide is a chord:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/2580/medium/ShaperB-1.jpg

Frederick Skelly
06-24-2017, 12:40 PM
Good for you Alan! Congratulations!
Fred

John TenEyck
06-24-2017, 2:33 PM
Congratulations Alan, and welcome to the club!

John

David Powell
06-24-2017, 9:05 PM
Great invention, Alan. I've been using it for the past couple of years with excellent results. Really easy to dial in the correct bit height, saving having to cut sample after sample trying to get the correct setting.

Dave

Charles Taylor
06-24-2017, 10:25 PM
Congratulations!

Ben Rivel
06-24-2017, 10:39 PM
Nice! Congrats!

Chris Parks
06-24-2017, 11:46 PM
Congratulations Alan and I hope your optimism on the security of the patent proves positive. We have spoken about that aspect several times if I recall and I for one would no longer bother.

Ed Labadie
06-25-2017, 12:27 AM
Good job, Alan. Followed this & the i-box since the woodworks days.

Ed

Bill McNiel
06-25-2017, 12:10 PM
Nicely done Alan, congratulations.

Julie Moriarty
06-25-2017, 12:25 PM
Congratulations, Alan! I saw that in FWW and it looked pretty impressive. :)

Ole Anderson
06-25-2017, 12:51 PM
Congrats, might just have to get one for my finicky lock miter bit! I got my one and only patent in 1991 (since expired) when I was building barefoot booms in my basement (shipped about 2500 over 15 years). It was a proud moment. Had it engraved on aluminum and it still hangs in my bedroom. Came real close to getting patent 5,000,000. Mine was 5,000,109. It came in handy and paid for itself when a competitor had to pay me royalties for his similar pylon boom clamp.

Peter Froh
06-25-2017, 11:55 PM
Congrats Alan! I bought one a while ago and it works great with my Freud lock miter bits!!

Andrew Gibson
06-26-2017, 10:12 AM
Congratulations Alan! We are as excited her at Infinity as you are. Here is a picture of a couple Lock Miter Master Jigs from the first patented production run.

Mike Henderson
06-26-2017, 10:24 AM
Congratulations on your patent. It's a great feeling to see your patent finally issued.

Mike

Todd Hyman
06-26-2017, 9:58 PM
Congrats Alan.

Mark W Pugh
06-26-2017, 10:27 PM
CONGRATS!!!

I actually use this product. I have watched hours of video on-line on "HOW" to line up the cuts on the lock miter bits. The last time I used the bits, I could not get them to work from the videos. So, I pulled out the Lock Miter Master Jigs, and it aligned everything the first time.

Great product!!!

Charles Lent
06-27-2017, 11:44 AM
So, now you have given us two great inventions for woodworking. the I-Box and the Lock Miter Master jigs. Congratulations on both as they are both great improvements for woodworking. I own both and I am hoping that you will have more soon. Please keep them coming.

Charley

richard poitras
06-27-2017, 1:35 PM
Congratulations..... I love your I-Box

Alan Lightstone
06-30-2017, 12:48 AM
Congratulations, Alan. I've used your lock miter jig a few times, with great, easy results. Like the iBox too. Nice to hear you got the patent. You're a creative guy.

Alan Schaffter
07-04-2017, 5:11 PM
Thanks, Charley and everyone.

My shop time has been scarce lately. Just a few years ago the ideas were really flowing. (FYI, I don't set out to invent stuff. My ideas come from woodworking projects when I run across a problem that needs to be solved). I came close to licensing two designs to Lee Valley/Veritas but they didn't pan out. The designs were probably not mature enough. But then, I did some work for another big company that tried to rip me off which soured me on the whole process- not every company are as good folks as INCRA, Infinity, and Lee Valley.

Chris Parks
07-04-2017, 9:17 PM
I did some work for another big company that tried to rip me off which soured me on the whole process- not every company are as good folks as INCRA, Infinity, and Lee Valley.

Been there and done that, I have another invention that I have prototyped and I can't be bothered taking it any further for that reason. The ripped off design is now sold world wide.

Dennis Mas
07-04-2017, 9:53 PM
Hello Alan. I have an invention (my first and most likely my last) that is patent pending. I'm not sure what to do next. Any general guidline or pitfalls to avoid that you can share?
Congrats on your Patent!
Dennis

Alan Schaffter
07-04-2017, 11:27 PM
Hello Alan. I have an invention (my first and most likely my last) that is patent pending. I'm not sure what to do next. Any general guideline or pitfalls to avoid that you can share?
Congrats on your Patent!
Dennis

Every situation is different. Have you licensed it and are you already working with a manufacturer? Is it truly "Patent Pending" in the legal sense or are you using that term loosely? If it is truly "patent pending" is it because you or a licensee have filed a provisional patent application or applied for a Utility Patent? Will you be manufacturing it or will you license it to someone else. These issues make a big difference. Since I am not in business (retired Navy and DoD), unless I was absolutely certain that I could license it and it would make a lot of money or I had a lot of extra money I could afford to spend and possibly lose, I would never spend my own money to file for a Utility Patent. You never get back any of the money for patent attorneys and application fees, which can be $10K, $20K, and maybe more, if a patent doesn't issue. If it does issue but you haven't assigned it to someone else (manufacturer), there are regular patent maintenance fees you must make to USPTO to keep it in force.

A good starting point is to go online to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) website and download/read their "Exchanging Value - Negotiating Technology Licensing Agreements: A Training Manual" Also, if you haven't actually filed for a Utility Patent yet get one of David Pressman's books and learn all about it. Also read about Provisional Patent Applications.

Alan Schaffter
07-04-2017, 11:31 PM
Congratulations Alan! We are as excited her at Infinity as you are. Here is a picture of a couple Lock Miter Master Jigs from the first patented production run.

Andrew, thanks for posting! I like the new graphic too. I might just have to make a shadow box (using lock miters of course!) for a copy of the patent and samples of the jig!

Paul K. Johnson
07-05-2017, 8:33 AM
That's a pretty awesome jig and the price is very reasonable. Congratulations!

Mike Wilkins
07-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Congrats Alan. I have this device on my short list of items to order from Infinity. I tried the trial and error method to set up one of these bits not long ago, and gave up in frustration and went to another joinery method.

Ben Abate
07-05-2017, 4:18 PM
Hi Alan,

Congratulations on the patent, I'm sure that has to be a wonderful feeling to know that your work is now a registered patent. I've read this thread from the start and I don't know if I missed it or not but can this set up device be used with shaper cutters? I read where there are two, a small and a larger one. I have a lock miter router bit but I also own a very nice new Garngia Lock Miter shaper cutter that I would like to use this for. I'm assuming as long as I stay within the parameters or the 1 3/16" it will work? I'm also aware of the shaper cutting head is much larger than the router bit so that is why I'm asking. I would most likely buy both device if you think the larger one would work for the shaper head.

Best Regards

Alan Schaffter
07-05-2017, 6:49 PM
Hi Alan,

Congratulations on the patent, I'm sure that has to be a wonderful feeling to know that your work is now a registered patent. I've read this thread from the start and I don't know if I missed it or not but can this set up device be used with shaper cutters? I read where there are two, a small and a larger one. I have a lock miter router bit but I also own a very nice new Garngia Lock Miter shaper cutter that I would like to use this for. I'm assuming as long as I stay within the parameters or the 1 3/16" it will work? I'm also aware of the shaper cutting head is much larger than the router bit so that is why I'm asking. I would most likely buy both device if you think the larger one would work for the shaper head.

Best Regards

Ben, it will work with some shaper bits- see text and diagrams in post #5 of this thread for details. It is a geometry thing. As far as size, you can actually use the small jig to set up large bits, though it is easier to align the bit/jig reference line with the centerline of the boards if you use the large jig.

Dennis Mas
07-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Thanks. I applied for the patent a couple of months ago so it is officially "Patent Pending". I'll be looking to sell the licensing but needed the information you sent to figure out how and where to get started. Thanks again.
Dennis

Alan Schaffter
07-07-2017, 11:27 PM
Thanks. I applied for the patent a couple of months ago so it is officially "Patent Pending". I'll be looking to sell the licensing but needed the information you sent to figure out how and where to get started. Thanks again.
Dennis

Just so you know, most companies will not want to buy your design outright- too much money up front for something that may or may not sell, and if you license it they also may want you to assign the patent to them- means you no longer own the patent. If you license it you can expect typical royalties to range from a fractional percent up to maybe 4-5% tops if you are very lucky. So, unless you have a high dollar/high volume sales item, you ain't getting rich from a license. Also, the company may only offer to pay royalties for the term of the patent. However, as it says in the WIPO manual, everything is negotiable. The other option, of course is to start a company and manufacture it yourself (or have it made in China).

Dennis Mas
07-09-2017, 10:04 PM
Yep. That's the way I understand it to be. Thanks again for your help.
Dennis

Ben Abate
07-10-2017, 6:29 AM
Hello Alan again
i just ordered the Lock Miter Master from Infinity Tools. I ordered the lager one since I want to use it with a shaper cutter. Plus the router bit I own is the lager Freud one. Hopefully it will work with both I'll let you know how it worked out with both

ben

Rich Engelhardt
07-10-2017, 5:18 PM
Just ordered mine from Infinity this afternoon!
Darn it though - I just rabbeted the edges of some boards I'm going to make a cabinet box out of :(.
I could have waited till this came in and gave it a try.

Oh well....I have another project coming up that maybe I can try it out on :).

Ben Abate
07-15-2017, 8:15 PM
Alan
i received the Lock Miter Master. It worked the first time without a hitch on a router bit. As for the shaper cutter with the offset design it did not work out. But that was expected the way this cutter head is designed

thank you, it made setup painless