PDA

View Full Version : Malware on FFW DVD?

Jamie Buxton
06-23-2017, 10:42 PM
I bought a copy of Fine Woodworking's Archive 1975 to 2016. When I install it on my Windows 10 machine, at the moment it should open the application, my antivirus software steps in and says there's malware in the installed file. It immediately deletes the folder and everything in it. The antivirus software is AVG Antivirus Free. Anybody else have this problem?

Frederick Skelly
06-23-2017, 11:13 PM
No, but my copy is a year older so that doesnt help you. I'd call Taughton on Monday and ask for a new disk. They need to know if there's really malware.

Chuck Wintle
06-24-2017, 9:40 AM
I bought a copy of Fine Woodworking's Archive 1975 to 2016. When I install it on my Windows 10 machine, at the moment it should open the application, my antivirus software steps in and says there's malware in the installed file. It immediately deletes the folder and everything in it. The antivirus software is AVG Antivirus Free. Anybody else have this problem?

is it possible that avg is giving a false positive to this dvd?

Curt Harms
06-25-2017, 7:53 AM
is it possible that avg is giving a false positive to this dvd?

That would be my suspicion. Does your antivirus tell you which file it thinks contains malware? If so, you could copy that file from the DVD and upload it here:

https://www.virustotal.com/

Jamie Buxton
06-26-2017, 9:29 AM
Yes, it is possible that AVG is mistaken. It is also possible that the DVD is contaminated. I'm hoping that some Creeker has experience which would point to one or the other.

Wade Lippman
06-26-2017, 10:54 PM
Can you scan the DVD?

Jamie Buxton
06-27-2017, 9:41 AM
Can you scan the DVD?

How is that different from what AVG is doing already?