PDA

View Full Version : Shelix head cutter

paul dyar
06-23-2017, 9:49 PM
Ordered shelix head fronWoodcutters.com. They say it will take 10 weeks to get it, does this seem like a long time. I am in no hurry just wondering.

Darcy Warner
06-23-2017, 9:58 PM
Last I heard it was longer.
There are better options out there

paul dyar
06-23-2017, 10:45 PM
What other options. Thanks

David Eisenhauer
06-23-2017, 10:59 PM
I don't know what Byrd's wait is now, but later last year they had a 3-4 month wait in place.

Ryan J Carpenter
06-24-2017, 10:07 AM
Not sure what machine you are putting it on, but grizzly seems to stock a few standardized Byrd heads. I just upgraded my jointer and planer and both were delivered in two days.

Darcy Warner
06-24-2017, 10:16 AM
Hermance would be my choice. Not a fan of the perched cutters

glenn bradley
06-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Knowing what you are trying to put the head in would help you get better answers. Holbren keeps some items on hand. That industry being what it is, anything not very mainstream would probably be made when ordered.

paul dyar
06-24-2017, 11:06 AM
I am putting it on Dwalt 735

Victor Robinson
06-24-2017, 12:10 PM
There have been sellers on Amazon.com and Ebay the last few weeks (including holbren) that appear to have stock.

Darcy Warner
06-24-2017, 12:10 PM
Well, nevermind then

Randy Heinemann
06-25-2017, 1:47 PM
Ordered shelix head fronWoodcutters.com. They say it will take 10 weeks to get it, does this seem like a long time. I am in no hurry just wondering.

The wait seems to usually be from 2 - 4 months. I hope you are a mechanic minded woodworker. From the videos I've seen online, it's quite a job to install the head in your 735. I looked at it, decided I couldn't do it (not good enough of a machine mechanic and maybe didn't want to either), it was too expensive to have installed, and made a price comparison over a longer period of time comparing available steel knives with the helical head costs based on my usage and found it really wasn't worth it. I get great results with my steel knives, can usually find them on sale online when I need them, and my planer is already more than 5 years old. Not sure how long these planers last, but I wouldn't want to go through the expense and trouble of the upgrade only to find out the planer dies in a couple of years. Anyway the timeframe seems to be right.

Ronald Blue
06-25-2017, 10:11 PM
It's in stock at Grizzly. You are getting it for less probably because they don't carry any inventory.

grizzly.com/products/Shelix-Cutterhead-for-DeWalt-DW735X/T25670?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Steve Demuth
06-26-2017, 8:12 AM
I hope you are a mechanic minded woodworker. From the videos I've seen online, it's quite a job to install the head in your 735. I looked at it, decided I couldn't do it.

Different folks will have differing experiences, but I wouldn't want to discourage the average woodworker from converting their planer. The heads come with excellent instructions. Anyone capable of tuning and maintaining power woodworking machinery should have no trouble installing the head.

And the results are excellent. I haven't had to change knives in 3 years. No chips, stays sharp, less noise.

John Adank
06-26-2017, 8:43 PM
This is a pretty good video on YouTube of how to install a Byrd head. It's a 3 part video with good instructions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1XucCQYbhLM

Brian Gumpper
06-27-2017, 7:50 PM
Holbren has in stock and lower cost than Grizzly, free shipping too.

https://www.holbren.com/Byrd_Tool_B4725

That guy at the other dealer is probably trying to collect orders because he has no inventory.

Victor Robinson
06-27-2017, 8:19 PM
Holbren has in stock and lower cost than Grizzly, free shipping too.

https://www.holbren.com/Byrd_Tool_B4725

That guy at the other dealer is probably trying to collect orders because he has no inventory.

Holbren no longer does a discount code for SMC?

Adam Merritt
06-27-2017, 9:19 PM
I sent an e-mail a week ago to Holbren looking to order a head for my 6'' jointer. He still hasn't responded. I ordered 70 inserts and screws from Holbren on 3/27/17. I followed up on 4/5 and got the first shipment on 4/8. It was short 30 screws, so they had to drop ship more, which ended up coming in 4/12/17. He did finally take care of the order, soI was willing to give it another shot. After a week of no response, I finally placed my order from Grizzly. I've heard lots of great reviews from others on this board dealing with Holbren; I just wish my experience was similar.

chase standifer
06-27-2017, 10:25 PM
I ordered a head for my 6" jointer and was told 6-8 weeks for delivery. It just happened to ship today, one day past 7 weeks.