PDA

View Full Version : Another kind of Trio, medium gloat!

Gene Collison
10-24-2005, 1:46 PM
I have numerous wood planes and metal planes. I guess I just like and enjoy planes. These are woodies made by Steve Knight, the small pocket plane and the Razee jack are my most recent additions. I know many of you guys and gals already have them but for those that don't Steve is really doing a great job in his plane building. The Razee jack is made from padouk with an ipe sole. The small pocket plane is bubinga, the coffin smoother is purpleheart. Steve to my knowledge is making the only wooden jack planes with an adjustable mouth. In fact I think all of his planes now have an adjustable mouth. I ordered this and the small pocket plane with his new screw cap instead of the wedge. It makes them a bit easier to adjust but also stays tight between uses as compared to a wedge which is often loosened by mother nature. The planes work beautifully, I did have a momentary problem with the jack sniping at the end of the board. I checked it with a straightedge and found that it was sitting proud at the toe and heel, probably caused by the change in environment. A few careful strokes toe to heel with LV jointer flattened it perfectly, the sniping stopped. Highly recommended.

Gene

Jeff Sudmeier
10-24-2005, 2:08 PM
Those sure are some PURTY planes! Congrats on receiving them.

Jerry Palmer
10-24-2005, 3:28 PM
I got a padouk coffin smoother from him when he had the 1/2 price sale a few months back over at Woodnet. Spent the extra and got the screw cap. I must say that after using it a while, I am a convert. The screw cap makes it much easier to adjust than the other woodies I have, and the thick blade makes all the difference in the world.

Gene Collison
10-24-2005, 6:27 PM
Jerry,

I agree, any woodies from Steve will be ordered with the screwcap from now on. Jeff, thanks for the comments.

gene

John Miliunas
10-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Super nice planes, Gene! One of these years, when funds free up a bit and I'm all done with the hand surgeries, those are still on my "want" list.:) (Well, those and a couple dozen other things!:D ) Anyhow, congrats! As you and Jerry have said, I think the screw cap would really be helpful in adjustments. I seem to have a heckuva' time using the wedge.:rolleyes: :) :cool: