PDA

View Full Version : VA Question: Gravestones:

Clarence Martin
06-21-2017, 12:13 AM
This question probably has never been asked before, because I have never heard of anyone walking out on it, but it has to do with VA Headstones.

Veteran died and after the Funeral , the person that was supposed to fill out the VA Headstone forms , along with the reimbursement for the Plot and whatever Burial/ funeral expenses that the VA will reimburse; NEVER FILLED OUT THE FORMS !! Apparently, they are either too busy, or don't know how the heck to fill out the forms! :rolleyes:

Now, my questions:

1. If they decide not to fill out that form, the Veteran is going to be left with just a temporary marker. That WILL NOT DO !!:mad: Can someone else go ahead and fill out those forms to get a VA Headstone on that Grave ?

2. What happens to the reimbursement from the VA for the Plot and the Burial expenses if the receipts are in the name of the person that decided NOT to fill out that paperwork, and someone else fills out the paperwork and sends it in to the VA ?

Mac McQuinn
06-21-2017, 1:34 AM
Are you sure the VA will reimburse for plot & burial expenses? I was of the understanding they only supplied the bronze plate attached to the stone with the correct military markings such as rank and branch of service. From what I understand, this is done at the request of a relative who contacts the VA with death information.

Clarence Martin
06-21-2017, 8:41 AM
He served in the Korean War. They supply the flat Marble or Granite marker or the Upright tombstone . Choice of either one. They don't cover all funeral and Plot expenses $300 for the Burial and $749 for for the plot.

Mac McQuinn
06-21-2017, 1:08 PM
He served in the Korean War. They supply the flat Marble or Granite marker or the Upright tombstone . Choice of either one. They don't cover all funeral and Plot expenses $300 for the Burial and $749 for for the plot.

Was he a combat veteran or buried in a Military Cemetery by chance or is this something which was just recently implemented for veterans?
Mac

Lee Schierer
06-21-2017, 1:09 PM
It appears only the next of kin or a person specifically designated by the veteran may request a headstone from the VA. A copy the veterans DD 214 or retirement eligibility paper work must be provided. Here is a link. VA Headstone (https://www.cem.va.gov/hmm/). You can certainly obtain the forms and help the next of kin. All VA regional offices can help with the forms as can many veterans organizations. If the next of kin is opposed or not interested you could have a problem getting a headstone for free. You could call Applicant VA Assistance Unit toll free at: 1-800-697-6947.

However, if there is no next of kin, it may be possible for a Congressman or Senator to get the work done. There is nothing to prevent you from paying for a similar stone out of your own pocket, but the next of kin could object to having it placed on the grave.

Captain USN (RET)

Mac McQuinn
06-21-2017, 1:20 PM
It appears only the next of kin or a person specifically designated by the veteran may request a headstone from the VA. A copy the veterans DD 214 or retirement eligibility paper work must be provided. Here is a link. VA Headstone (https://www.cem.va.gov/hmm/). You can certainly obtain the forms and help the next of kin. All VA regional offices can help with the forms as can many veterans organizations. If the next of kin is opposed or not interested you could have a problem getting a headstone for free. You could call Applicant VA Assistance Unit toll free at: 1-800-697-6947.

However, if there is no next of kin, it may be possible for a Congressman or Senator to get the work done. There is nothing to prevent you from paying for a similar stone out of your own pocket, but the next of kin could object to having it placed on the grave.

Captain USN (RET)

Lee,

Does this mean the veteran has to be retired from the military to be eligible?
Mac

Jim Mackell
06-21-2017, 1:30 PM
Mac, the short answer is No. Any veteran qualifies for the marker. Least we can do for those who served. Clarence, Thanks for taking care of this, whether it's for a stranger or a friend.

Nicholas Lawrence
06-21-2017, 2:20 PM
Lee,

Mac

As Jim said, no. We just went through this for a relative who was not retired, but served honorably (WWII). There is a choice of markers I believe, so as others have mentioned it is important to have the next of kin involved. The link has more information.

https://www.cem.va.gov/hmm/

Ed Labadie
06-21-2017, 2:55 PM
FWIW....Dad was an undertaker for 40+ years.

Most common was the flat bronze marker that was then affixed to the back of the private headstone, if no headstone, the flat granite one was used, placed on a cement base. Never saw dad use on of the upright ones, didn't know they were still offered until now.

Some cemeteries only allow flat markers, so the bronze has to be used there.

Biggest problem was the shipping companies, they most always dropped something on the granite markers, chipping them.

Ed

Yonak Hawkins
06-21-2017, 3:47 PM
..Just my opinion, but I believe the military ought to handle all of this, as well as medical needs, not the civilian sector. It's their province.

Lee Schierer
06-21-2017, 6:58 PM
Lee,

Mac

Here is the exact wording from the VA form.

Bruce Wrenn
06-21-2017, 8:28 PM
Totally different, but in NC there is a program run by NC Woodworker that GIVES urns for cremated remains of NC vets. Recently we received one for my nephew's remains. Some other states have a similar program, all run by woodworkers.

Yonak Hawkins
06-21-2017, 10:04 PM
I guess that doesn't really answer the immediate question : If the NOK is not willing or able or otherwise fails to fill out the form, can the next in line make the request ?

Lee Schierer
06-22-2017, 7:56 AM
If the NOK is not willing or able or otherwise fails to fill out the form, can the next in line make the request ?

You would have to ask the VA. I've had other dealings with the VA in the past and I know that a congressional inquiry can have different results that an individual can get.