PDA

View Full Version : The Garage Mahal...and a small shop too.

Maurice Ungaro
10-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Well, I moved my shop into it this spring, and as of yet, there are no shop phtos to speak of because 1) it's a mess, and 2) I haven't finished it out, and 3) it's still a mess. Having said that, I submit for you perusal, some construction shots of our detached garage. I designed it to complement our 1890's cottage, even picking up on the same detail treatment of the corners.

The overall footprint is 26' X 42'. It was SUPPOSED to be 25' X 40', but the foundation crew grew it a foot wider and two feet longer. The framing crew framed it up in a day, and went with the limits of the pad, ignoring the stated dimensions. Oh well...it's only money. I spec'd a cross gabled roof for two reasons: 1) I wanted to have more headroom upstairs, and I wanted the center of my shop space to be open to the ridgepole. The shop windows face east by south east, and do a good job of giving natual light (another reason to have the shop open to the rafters). Clading is Hardi-plank (cement board), and should last quite a damn while - at least the paint won't peel off of it. Had it plumbed and installed a shop sink and commode, and it's stubbed out for future expansion should we want to convert a portion to an apartment. well, maybe the NEXT owner would want to do that.

I had a contractor do the work, as I would still be building this thing if I tried to undertake it. I learned a long time ago that an honest man knows his limitations.

Go to our web site to see all of the shots - http://www.MauriceandCarlotta.com/viewalbum.asp?webid=39355&albumid=24910&photocount=22&albumcount=5

Maurice Ungaro
10-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Here are some more .......

Maurice Ungaro
10-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Finished on the outside....moved in on the inside, but far from finished. I did get to paint my shop floor (Rust-o-leum grage floor epoxy), prior to moving the tools in, and my shop is operational. Next, I'll work on insulating the critical spaces, and MAYBE finishing some walls.

The best part of all this was the envy from my brother when he came to visit for a week this spring. That was worth the price of admission.

Michael Gabbay
10-24-2005, 1:10 PM
WOW! That's a really nice shop. Are you using the whole thing for shop space or sharing it with cars?

Mike

Byron Trantham
10-24-2005, 1:11 PM
Soooo nice! Looks like a very nice job.

Bernie Weishapl
10-24-2005, 1:14 PM
Looks good Maurice. Looks like you will have a shop that will fit for a long time. I have a 24 X 40 shop. I insulated rather well to where I have a 7,500 btu A/C and heat it with 30,000 btu Rezner heater. My wife tells her friends it is to nice a place for me to be when I get in the dog house. Looks awesome Maurice. It is a lot of work but you will enjoy it when it is done. I know I do.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-24-2005, 1:22 PM
Wow, it really does look great. It looks like you will be set for years to come!!

Great job on having the foundation crew "accidentally" build it bigger... great way to get a bigger shop by the LOML :)

Dan Oliphant
10-24-2005, 1:31 PM
Good looking structure, now you need to fill it and take more pics.

Jim Becker
10-24-2005, 1:51 PM
Thanks for sharing that! Very attractive building and perfect for the intended non-garage usage!! :)

Maurice Ungaro
10-24-2005, 2:10 PM
Thanks for the nice comments, boys. I have to confess that the building is shared with two cars. The dedicated shop space is 25 X 15.5.....lumber storage is in the car bay area, via two sets of Triton lumber racks. Upstairs, I've got all the bicycles, stationary trainers and a drafting table. I think one of our surround systems and a TV need to find a hme in that building too.

The car bays are big enough for me to spill into over time.

nic obie
10-24-2005, 2:26 PM
Hey Maurice,

That's a very nice looking building and I'll bet it will make a outstanding shop.

Do you have a tablesaw for the shop yet? ;) I just happen to have a 1948 ... :D :D :D

nic

Maurice Ungaro
10-24-2005, 2:51 PM
Nic,
I do have a contractor's saw, but would LOVE to upgrade to a cab style. Too bad you're in CA. Hope your eBay auction goes well. ;)

Andrew Ault
10-24-2005, 2:52 PM
Maurice,

Boy, that is a good looking building. Nice!

I'll bet you'll never regret having the extra sq footage that the concrete guys caused.

- Andy

John Renzetti
10-24-2005, 3:15 PM
hi Maurice, That is a great shop. The size is just about perfect.
take care,
John

Dave Richards
10-24-2005, 4:16 PM
Maurice, very nice shop. It does go well with the house and it is nice of you to share the space with the cars. You also have a very lovely bride.. ;)

Dan Larson
10-24-2005, 5:31 PM
Maurice, thanks for the pics of your new garage/shop building. Very nice! We're currently kicking around ideas for a detached shop/guest house, and seeing your outbuilding has given me some food for thought. Looking forward to seeing shots of the interior when your ready to share them.

Nice job with your house renovation project, by the way. You've done a great job bringing back the original charm and character of the house. Old houses deserve thoughtful owners like you!

Dan

Vaughn McMillan
10-24-2005, 5:59 PM
Very nice, Maurice. I've lived in lesser houses!

- Vaughn

Norman Hitt
10-24-2005, 6:36 PM
Beautiful, Maurice. Just one thing though, Absolutely TOO Much SPACE Allotted for Cars.:D

John Bailey
10-24-2005, 7:37 PM
Maurice,

Great looking building. I appreciate the fact that you made it complement your house. Good temporary housing for the vehichles until you can get the garage done. Can't wait to see that.

John

Corey Hallagan
10-24-2005, 8:47 PM
Maurice, what a great shop! With an upstairs and all! When you get her all finished out she will be wonderfull. Keep us posted!

Corey