PDA

View Full Version : Bench Dog router table/saw extension

Scott Welty
06-20-2017, 8:52 AM
Thinking of getting this for my new scaled down shop. (http://www.rockler.com/bench-dogreg-promax-cast-router-table-without-plate-40-102#turnto-reviews-content) Anyone have any experience with this? Looks like it will fit my JET pro-shop saw.

Scott

Eric Keller
06-20-2017, 9:43 AM
I have thought about it and seen people report that they have one with generally positive reviews. That page has a rather large amount of information, does it come with a fence? That would change the cost calculation a little. If it's just the plate, seems like I would probably just make a hole for a lift in the existing melamine and build a better support structure underneath..

I have a real problem with space, and there is no room for a router table in my shop, so putting one in the saw is the only way I would get one. OTOH, I don't know where I would put all the junk that's on the tablesaw extension now. OK, just kidding about that, I have managed to get it cleaned off before, I'm sure I could do it again

Jim Becker
06-20-2017, 10:27 AM
I used the Bench Dog product for my "poor man's" shaper addition to my slider. Quality product. Very pleased.

Peter Froh
06-20-2017, 12:17 PM
I've had one for years and I really like it. It currently has a benchdog lift in it but I'm not happy with the mechanics of the locking function. I'm considering getting the Jessem lift that will fit that opening.

Bruce Page
06-20-2017, 1:20 PM
I installed one on my Unisaw several years ago along with the BD lift and a digital height readout. I wouldn’t want to be without it.

Peter Froh
06-20-2017, 4:35 PM
I installed one on my Unisaw several years ago along with the BD lift and a digital height readout. I wouldn’t want to be without it.

Maybe I have an older model of the BD lift but to lock its position there is an under table handle that you turn to push a set screw against one of the lift's posts. I find that no matter how hard I crank that setscrew there is creep in the DOC.

Ben Rivel
06-20-2017, 4:50 PM
I dont have the Benchdog table saw extension router table, but I do have their larger cast iron router table which is the same build quality and all I can say is there isnt a nicer option available on the market today.

Andy Giddings
06-20-2017, 5:37 PM
I've had the Bench Dog router table and lift for about 12 years. The lift still works perfectly and has never been maintained - not sure I understand the comment about locking made earlier as I didn't even know there was one. Once the height is set, it just stays there. Recommended

Bruce Page
06-20-2017, 6:35 PM
Maybe I have an older model of the BD lift but to lock its position there is an under table handle that you turn to push a set screw against one of the lift's posts. I find that no matter how hard I crank that setscrew there is creep in the DOC.
Peter, I installed my BD in 2007. The only time I ever lock the position is if I’m using a large diameter cutter. Normally I just leave the lock snugged. I haven’t noticed any creeping.

I don’t know what DOC stands for.

Peter Aeschliman
06-20-2017, 6:42 PM
I have the Benchdog extension table. It's really well made and adds some weight to your TS to reduce vibration. I also have the incra mast-r-lift II, but the version with the plate sized for rockler tables. It's super well-made device. It's a really great combo!

lawrence munninghoff
06-20-2017, 8:19 PM
I have also had one for many years. Great product. Use with the bench dog router lift and porter cable router.

Peter Froh
06-20-2017, 9:01 PM
Depth of Cut.

Maybe I'll have to have a closer look at it and see if there is some adjustment screw loose.

Mike Mercado
06-21-2017, 4:34 AM
Do you have a picture of how you have it set up with your slider? I am looking into a new slider and "poor man's" shaper might fit the bill.

Keith Pitman
06-21-2017, 7:56 AM
I did this with the cast iron router table extension from Peachtree woodworking. The Peachtree extension has a larger opening for router plates and lifts from Woodpeckers and some others. Pictures here in post #15:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?234797-Sawstop-Pcs-BenchDog-Promax&highlight=

Jim Becker
06-21-2017, 9:08 AM
Do you have a picture of how you have it set up with your slider? I am looking into a new slider and "poor man's" shaper might fit the bill.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?54500-Project-Router-Station-For-Sliding-Table-Saw&highlight=BenchDog

Bernie May
06-21-2017, 9:16 AM
I have the benchdog extension and router lift on my 3hp sawstop. Set it and forget it. No creep up or down.

Scott Welty
06-21-2017, 11:32 AM
Thanks everyone....I'm going to get this within the next few weeks.

Scott

glenn bradley
06-21-2017, 4:38 PM
This one has been a winner ever since it showed up as far as reviewers and owners are concerned. I like a little more table in front of the bit and so went a different way but, when I was looking, these were at the top of the list.

Randal Blair
06-22-2017, 8:22 AM
best money I've invested in my shop - the Bench Dog 40-102 ProMax cast iron router table extension.
And I have my Triton MOF001C mounted to the router table with a Rockler aluminum pro plate
this router can be height adjusted from above the table and is a fantastic set up and use of space for me.
.362533 362534

Andy Giddings
06-22-2017, 9:47 AM
This one has been a winner ever since it showed up as far as reviewers and owners are concerned. I like a little more table in front of the bit and so went a different way but, when I was looking, these were at the top of the list.
There are two BenchDog cast iron tables out there (ProMax and ProMax RT). The RT is designed for a standalone router table and has a lot more room in front of the router than the other. Don't know if the RT can be adapted for a saw's wing

Steve Cowart
06-22-2017, 11:04 AM
I have one on the right side of my Powermatic PM1000. I Love it and would do it again in a heartbeat. I have an Incra lift and could not imagine anything working better.