PDA

View Full Version : Bandwheel coming off lower wheel on Grizzly G0513X2

Anthony Whitesell
06-19-2017, 2:22 PM
I was using my Grizzly G0513X2 with a 1/2" 3 TPI blade when the lower bandwheel came off. I loosen the blade and put the wheel back on, but after a few minutes it came off again. This is a new phenomenon for me with this saw. Does anyone have any thoughts on the source of this problem?

Geoff Crimmins
06-19-2017, 2:55 PM
Just to be clear, is it the tire or the whole wheel that is coming off?

John Lanciani
06-19-2017, 3:14 PM
The tire has lost its elasticity. Time to either glue it on or replace it before it causes more damage.

Doug Garson
06-19-2017, 4:13 PM
How is the wheel secured? The bottom wheel on my 14" Delta Asian clone is held on by a screw and washer on the end of the shaft. My top wheel is held on by a nut on the end of the shaft. In either case if the wheel came off I would use Loktite on the threads to secure it.

glenn bradley
06-19-2017, 4:53 PM
I believe we'll find he is talking about the tire. Age, environment, type of use and tension-happy woodworkers can all effect tire life. My G0513X has been used several times a week for just shy of 10 years. I use steel blades and the flutter method. I use good DC and resaw to capacity about half the time.

Jim Becker
06-19-2017, 8:29 PM
Band saw tires occasionally need to be replaced...for the reasons that Glenn mentions. It's an easy fix and not all that expensive, either.

Anthony Whitesell
06-21-2017, 7:46 PM
I often get my terms mixed between my upright bandsaw and my horizontal sawmill. On the bandsaw they are called tires, on the the sawmill they are called bandwheels. Don't ask, I don't know. Blades on one are bands on the other, too.

I will call Grizzly and get a new set of "tires". The saw is less than 9 years old. Rarely used, less than once per week (but is a the best to have when I need it; not an ounce of buyers remorse here). It is in my relatively climate stable basement. I also use the flutter method for tensioning.

Jim Becker
06-21-2017, 8:03 PM
Anthony, there are plenty of nice aftermarket band saw tires available, too...you don't have to source them from the saw manufacturer if you don't want to.

Mikail Khan
06-21-2017, 8:04 PM
I am from the Caribbean and have to replace my tires every 2-3 years so you are doing well. Grizzly and aftermarket tires are available from Amazon.