PDA

View Full Version : There ought to be a term for...

Charles Wiggins
06-19-2017, 12:26 PM
intentionally assuming an alternate meaning, other than the one intended, for a word or phrase.
Examples:
LOML: Do you mind? [helping me with _____]
Me: Not very well.

Co-worker with handful of 12" rulers: Do you need a ruler?
Me: Usually. I'm pretty unruly.

Does anyone know of a literary term for this?

I know "Malapropism" is choosing an incorrect word that sounds similar.
I know "Alliteration" is using the same consonant sound repeatedly.
I could go on, but you get the idea.

Mel Fulks
06-19-2017, 12:46 PM
We already have "Spoonerisms" ...so I suggest " Forkism". There is a bit of word play on a current lawn mower commercial. Lovers facing each other in rain, woman to man: "it's not how fast you mow,it's how well you mow fast".
"Mow" and "mowing" are old slang for sex.

Pat Barry
06-19-2017, 1:17 PM
Wiseguy...

Prashun Patel
06-19-2017, 1:25 PM
The correct term is 'being pungnatious'

Mel Fulks
06-19-2017, 1:43 PM
The correct term is 'being pungnatious'
Subtle and hard to see ....but a pun review of the tape "the word play is good!"

Doug Garson
06-19-2017, 4:07 PM
I think the term you are looking for is irony. Definition: "the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect." or " a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result."

Charles Taylor
06-19-2017, 5:54 PM
Double entendre.

Roger Nair
06-19-2017, 8:10 PM
Homophonic puns.

Jim Koepke
06-19-2017, 11:01 PM
Depending on how it affects your mood or the conversation, it is either being cute or being a jerk.

jtk

Rich Engelhardt
06-20-2017, 4:29 AM
I'll go with annoying ;).

I was watching some reruns of MASH the other day and I recalled why Alan Alda irritates me so much :D.

Charles Wiggins
06-20-2017, 8:39 AM
I was watching some reruns of MASH the other day and I recalled why Alan Alda irritates me so much :D.

M*A*S*H is my all-time favorite show. Now I think I know why.

Prashun Patel
06-20-2017, 2:53 PM
[meaningless response alert]: I think I'm the only person on the planet who never got MASH. Never got Cheers either. I think I'm from Mars.