PDA

View Full Version : Will you be buying your food online now @ Amazon?

Rich Engelhardt
06-19-2017, 10:36 AM
I doubt very much that I will...

Some things, I just don't feel right about buying sight unseen & unsqueezed!

Harold Balzonia
06-19-2017, 5:31 PM
So no mail order bride for you, I guess

��

John McClanahan
06-19-2017, 5:34 PM
Good one, Harold!

George Bokros
06-19-2017, 6:15 PM
I could add something to this but I better not.

Bill Orbine
06-19-2017, 7:33 PM
There are supermarkets in my area that provides an online service for customers who place a grocery order and have it delivered to their cars in the parking lot when they come to pick up order. They never set foot inside store This concept has been picking up speed.

Mike Cutler
06-19-2017, 7:58 PM
I doubt very much that I will...

Some things, I just don't feel right about buying sight unseen & unsqueezed!

Uhmmm,,,,, No.

Roger Nair
06-19-2017, 8:07 PM
I buy some food goods from Amazon, mostly coffee. tea and spices, variety and cost is a clear winner through Amazon. The rest of my purchases come from local stores and will likely stay that way.

Jim Becker
06-19-2017, 8:15 PM
Amazon's proposed acquisition doesn't really change things relative to their online/pickup food offerings or Whole Foods operations, at least initially. You can already buy package goods from them and in some areas, fresh food is available for pickup at special designated locations. The Whole Foods acquisition is more of a move back into "brick and mortar" for Amazon, just as they've done by opening some B&M book stores as of late. Diversification, as it were. Long term, things may come together a bit. Some folks are saying that there's even a chance for "zero check out" setups which is an interesting concept, albeit not great for the labor situation for folks like my older daughter who work in grocery store settings for above minimum wage earnings.

Bert Kemp
06-19-2017, 8:52 PM
I think the online order pick up at store is great. I hate shopping. My knee hurts so bad when I shop. There is no downside. They bring your order out and load it in the car for you. If theres a mix up its on them. If they didn't squeeze your mellon right, its on them.I get fresh fish and meat, deli meats and what ever and its always the way I like it. They have a note section when ordering. I tell them how thick to slice my cheese and meat. Its great!:)

Brian Henderson
06-19-2017, 10:50 PM
Nope, not a chance. There are some things I will only pick out by hand, food is one of them.

Mike Henderson
06-20-2017, 12:35 AM
I think the online order pick up at store is great. I hate shopping. My knee hurts so bad when I shop. There is no downside. They bring your order out and load it in the car for you. If there's a mix up it's on them. If they didn't squeeze your melon right, it's on them. I get fresh fish and meat, deli meats and whatever and it's always the way I like it. They have a note section when ordering. I tell them how thick to slice my cheese and meat. Its great!:)

Bert - are you talking about Whole Foods? Or some other grocery store?

Mike

Curt Harms
06-20-2017, 7:49 AM
Dry goods or 'manufactured' goods like cocoa or coffee, maybe. No B&M store can compete with with variety available on the likes of Amazon. Produce, meat, poultry? Unlikely. There are already lesser known services like Peapod whose trucks I occasionally see.

Larry Frank
06-20-2017, 7:59 AM
I will certainly look at some things and decide if it is worth it. Things like meat, fruits and vegetables will be a now.

Harry Hagan
06-20-2017, 4:30 PM
I remember in the "Old Days" when you had home delivery service from the locally owned groceries, pharmacies and milk delivered from the local dairy. More households these days are single-occupancy and I can see where the home-bound (sick, too old, etc.) might appreciate home delivery.

Paul McGaha
06-20-2017, 5:07 PM
As far as i know most of our groceries are bought at Wegmens (weekly) and Costco (every 2 or 3 weeks),

PHM

Matt Meiser
06-20-2017, 5:27 PM
Kroger here is offering Clicklist where they pick your order and you pick it up curbside. It's apparently wildly successful locally. And Meijer just started delivery. Might as well consider Amazon at that point too. Produce would probably be at least a couple days fresher.

Edwin Santos
06-20-2017, 5:58 PM
Amazon's proposed acquisition doesn't really change things relative to their online/pickup food offerings or Whole Foods operations, at least initially. You can already buy package goods from them and in some areas, fresh food is available for pickup at special designated locations. The Whole Foods acquisition is more of a move back into "brick and mortar" for Amazon, just as they've done by opening some B&M book stores as of late. Diversification, as it were. Long term, things may come together a bit. Some folks are saying that there's even a chance for "zero check out" setups which is an interesting concept, albeit not great for the labor situation for folks like my older daughter who work in grocery store settings for above minimum wage earnings.

You might be right. Then again, maybe Bezos the Oracle has some tricks up his sleeve that nobody sees coming. I don't believe anyone predicted the Whole Foods acquisition, so I say it's equally hard to predict exactly what Amazon has in mind. The only two things I would bet on is (1) they made the acquisition for a purpose not yet publicly disclosed in detail and (2) it will be interesting. Whether it will work is another matter and time will tell.

Brett Luna
06-20-2017, 6:09 PM
I can't 2-day shipping here, much less 2-hour. We have no Whole Foods store and even if we did, at 26 miles from downtown, I'm not too sure we'd be in the delivery area. Besides, I also like to paw my produce before buying it.

Jim Becker
06-20-2017, 8:09 PM
As far as i know most of our groceries are bought at Wegmens (weekly) and Costco (every 2 or 3 weeks),

PHM
Same here.

Bert Kemp
06-20-2017, 9:34 PM
Fry's Cliclist
and now I see Walmart is doing it also but I never would trust Walmart LOL

Bert - are you talking about Whole Foods? Or some other grocery store?

Mike

julian abram
06-20-2017, 10:55 PM
Our city got a new Whole Foods a couple years ago. Went in there one time and was not impressed. Seemed like over price PC yuppie food that was priced 30-50% "regular" grocery stores. I remember seeing their "organic" rotisserie chicks at $9 but we buy them $5-6 at WalMart. Think I'm to old to appreciate the premium for yuppie organic food.

Jason Roehl
06-21-2017, 6:19 AM
As far as I know, we have one of those "magic" pantries--every time I open it up, there's food in there. :D

Jim Becker
06-21-2017, 9:14 AM
Almost every market in this area has Internet-order/pickup service and some also have delivery, too. It's not a new concept. I personally prefer to walk through Wegman's and select things myself, as does Professor Dr. SWMBO, but there are many people who for time constraint or other reasons, like the order ahead and just pick up convenience. Blue Apron and others are also doing a healthy and growing business in the meal-ingredient delivery business, too.

David Helm
06-21-2017, 12:23 PM
No f'ing way. I buy groceries from local producers only. Don't ever buy processed food like products. Meats come from local growers. Veggies come from my own garden or local farmers. I try never to buy from major corporations.