PDA

View Full Version : Double barn doors

Hoang N Nguyen
06-19-2017, 9:57 AM
These were suppose to be a weekend project but ended up being a week long project.

Double sliding barn doors at the request of my wife. These are installed at the office entrance.

I used my domino machine for the joinery instead of traditional M&T. Figured this would save me a lot of time and the domino's should hold up find considering how the doors are mounted. Grooves were done on the router table with 3/4" dado bit.

Bead board panels were only glued on one side, leaving the rest un-glued for wood movement.

Finished with 2 coats of SW Kem Aqua surfacer and 2 coats of Dovetail gray.

These suckers were heavy, 100+ pounds each which was why it took me so long to finish. I had to wait for help flipping the doors over while painting them. For that reason it took me 4 days to spray these doors instead of the usual half day.

I drove (2) 1/4"x6" lag bolts into each end of the doors to rest on my sawhorse while finishing and it managed to bend the lag bolts.

Hoang N Nguyen
06-19-2017, 9:58 AM

Vince Rosypal
06-19-2017, 10:19 AM
Very Nice, great job
This is also on my Huny Do list..... one day

Ted Calver
06-19-2017, 10:35 AM
Very nice!!

Prashun Patel
06-19-2017, 10:38 AM
Really beautiful. I love the last pic most...

Al Launier
06-19-2017, 10:41 AM
Congratulations on a project well done. It sings!

I hope my wife doesn't see this & get ideas.

Malcolm McLeod
06-19-2017, 10:58 AM
Congratulations on a project well done. It sings!...
^+1

Unfortunately, I saw it and my list just got longer..... And, now gotta' learn to paint like that too!

Hoang N Nguyen
06-19-2017, 11:57 AM
It really is a quick project if you have help to move it around. It took me a day to mill, cut and assemble the doors.

Very Nice, great job
This is also on my Huny Do list..... one day

Little man never misses a photo op. I asked him to close the door so I can take the picture and he said "no, papa take picture of Hunter"!

Really beautiful. I love the last pic most...

If she has access to the internet and Pinterest, you are already screwed. Lol

Congratulations on a project well done. It sings!

You should really give the Kem Aqua from SW a try. Painting was always one of my dreaded things to do during a project but this paint has made it so easy to get a nice result. I won't be using anything else now that I've discovered this line.

^+1

Unfortunately, I saw it and my list just got longer..... And, now gotta' learn to paint like that too!

Darin German
06-19-2017, 7:13 PM
Very nice, Hoang! I'm sure the wife is very happy with your work.

Jim Becker
06-19-2017, 8:26 PM
Oh. Wow... Those. Are. Outstanding!

Cary Falk
06-20-2017, 3:50 PM
These were suppose to be a weekend project but ended up being a week long project.

BTDT. "Honey, can you do this for me, it will only take you 5 minutes." Bam!!! Weekend gone.

Nice doors by the way.

Randal Blair
06-20-2017, 4:00 PM
BTDT. "Honey, can you do this for me, it will only take you 5 minutes." Bam!!! Weekend gone.

Nice doors by the way.

So True! great work Mr. Nguyen - like the colors you went with.

Rick Potter
06-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Very nice job. I'll bet Hunter loves pushing those doors open and closed.

andrew whicker
06-21-2017, 5:32 PM
Nice job!

That's some humongous wainscoting. What is the height of the rail and the height of your ceiling?

Adam Herman
06-21-2017, 5:45 PM
did you guide the bottom in any way?

great work as usual.

Patrick McCarthy
06-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Hoang, I always enjoy your posts, and appreciate your craftsmanship. Thank you , Patrick

Hoang N Nguyen
06-22-2017, 9:30 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words, they are always motivation for me to continue honing my skills.

Andrew, The wainscoting were put in by the builders and I would take a guess that they are about 5' tall. They wrap the entire foyer and dining room area. They aren't the best looking in the world but came as a standard package when we built the house.

Ceiling height is 9'. The office opening was suppose to be 8' to match the opening of the dining room across from it but I had them close it in to 6' with the provision of having barn doors put in. At 6' opening, the barn doors are already huge at 42"x95" so I can't image how big they'd be if the opening was left at 8' wide.

Nice job!

That's some humongous wainscoting. What is the height of the rail and the height of your ceiling?

Adam, the bottom does have a guide. I routed a 1/4" groove through the bottom of the door with a slot cutter bit, stopping about 3" from each ends. Squared up the ends with a mortise chisel. There's a T shape guide that's screwed into the hardwood floors which the doors ride on.

did you guide the bottom in any way?

great work as usual.

William Fretwell
06-22-2017, 9:43 AM
I did notice you will need to move the electric sockets on each side of the doors. I would have put the diagonal in the corner but that's just me.

Hoang N Nguyen
06-22-2017, 10:30 AM
The electrical outlets won't need to be moved because they'll never be used. This is right next to the front door and I can't image anyone plugging anything in right there. At least we won't.

What diagonal in the corner are you talking about?

I did notice you will need to move the electric sockets on each side of the doors. I would have put the diagonal in the corner but that's just me.

William Fretwell
06-23-2017, 8:37 AM
The diagonal abuts only one side of the corner. I just prefer the more balanced look where it abuts both sides of the corner.

Hoang N Nguyen
06-23-2017, 12:36 PM
The diagonals are only on one side by design. When the 2 doors come together, they form an X

That's the great thing about building your own furniture, you can design it however you like and this was our preference.

William Fretwell
06-25-2017, 10:42 PM
True, with the diagonal on both sides they only form an X with a square door. This gives your door the illusion of being closer to a square.