PDA

View Full Version : Festool Domino width adjustment too loose?

Cary Falk
06-19-2017, 5:37 AM
I bought a used domino about 3 months ago. I have been playing around with. it the last few weeks. It feels to me that the width selector is pretty loose. So much so that it sometimes kicks itself into the next width size when I am cutting a slot. Sometimes i don't know what width i'm on. I am not sure if I am being too aggressive or something is worn. Maybe the pressure spring is broke. I am not near enough to a dealer to take the time to go test another. Before I tear into this to take a look, I wanted to see if I was crazy. What does the braintrust say, worn part or crazy owner (or both)? Anybody else hav this problem?

Jamie Buxton
06-19-2017, 9:11 AM
My Domino has pretty positive detents on that width adjustment. There's no way it would just wander into the next width. I'd say you should do a little exploratory surgery.

Darcy Warner
06-19-2017, 9:14 AM
Call the number on the tool and ask one of the guys in the service department.
That is one tool I wouldn't want to take apart.

Hoang N Nguyen
06-19-2017, 9:32 AM
That doesn't sound right. My domino width selector stays locked in pretty solid, no way for it to switch on it's own.

Cary Falk
06-19-2017, 9:36 AM
I didn't think it was right. I am afraid that if I call the service they will basically tell me that they can't diagnose it over the phone and I should just bring it in. Looks like the workings of the shift know will be fairly easy to get to looking at the parts diagram. If that is all there is to the problem then the parts will be cheaper than the shipping.

Andrew Howe
06-19-2017, 9:41 AM
Try posting to festoolownersgroup forum. Someone may know

Darcy Warner
06-19-2017, 10:58 AM
Service guys are good, they may know what the issue is, the part to buy to fix it and even give a quote to fix it.

Josh Kocher
06-19-2017, 12:05 PM
mine is solid.

remember to only turn the mortise width adjustment knob when the tool is running.

maybe it was worn by the previous owner not reading the manual and turning it haphazardly...

Patrick Kane
06-19-2017, 1:06 PM
mine is solid.

remember to only turn the mortise width adjustment knob when the tool is running.

maybe it was worn by the previous owner not reading the manual and turning it haphazardly...

Yep, this is exactly what i thought when i read the post.

peter gagliardi
06-19-2017, 1:12 PM
One good thing about Festool, though you pay a little more upfront for the tool, their repair costs are among the most, or the most reasonable of any tools I have. And very fast turnaround

Cary Falk
06-19-2017, 4:04 PM
Service guys are good, they may know what the issue is, the part to buy to fix it and even give a quote to fix it.

Service was less than helpful. I will tear into it later this week.

Cary Falk
06-20-2017, 3:08 PM
Here is the ending to the story:
I took the cover off yesterday and played with the wheel, lever, spring and switch below. I didn't see anything obvious and I didn't have a lot of time to do anything else so I put everything back together. Immediately after I got it back together I noticed the switch snapped into the positions like I expected it should. I just got done doing some pretty aggressive plunge cuts and the width is not jumping from one to another. I guess the previous owner took off the cover and got the wheel underneath the switch instead of against it.

Andrew Hughes
06-20-2017, 4:46 PM
Nice save Cary,I was just using mine this morning and thinking about your thread.
Festool makes some nice stuff.

Jim Becker
06-21-2017, 9:41 AM
'Glad you resolved that, Cary...sometimes, it's "something little" that causes the fun.