PDA

View Full Version : How long does construction adhesive take to dry?

Wade Lippman
06-18-2017, 9:28 PM
My wife wants to hang some PVC planters on a shed under the windows. I made some wood wedges so it will hand perpendicular to the wall, and glued them on with Titebond construction adhesive. It says not to use on plastic, but I assumed they meant poly. Anyhow, I only need the adhesive to hold until i can bolt it all to the shed.

How long does it take to dry? Instructions don't say. i googled and various sources say 7 days. That seems crazy; how can anything take 7 days?!

Wayne Lomman
06-19-2017, 2:58 AM
7 days is time until full cure/maximum strength. Since you are using it to hold something until it is bolted, you only need to wait until the item won't drop off. That is temperature dependant. You can also use construction adhesive as a contact glue where impervious materials are being bonded. Gun out as normal, press the item into place, pull it off, allow the glue to tack, replace the item and you are done. Just don't expect it to take much load. At best, construction adhesive is good for improving a joint fastened by other means. Cheers

Jim Koepke
06-19-2017, 11:04 PM
Darn, you wanted a real answer and not some wisecrack like, "five minutes longer than you are willing to hold the item in place.'

jtk

Steve Peterson
06-24-2017, 7:47 PM
The adhesive might require air to cure. Gluing plastic to plastic might be similar to the glue that sits inside the tube. It might only cure around the edges. I would spread it on both surfaces and leave it exposed for a few minutes to let it start to cure before pressing them in place.

Steve