PDA

View Full Version : Drill press am I nuts for thinking this is a good deal

Greg Scott
10-24-2005, 12:22 PM
The Grizzly G7946 radial drill press is only $252.20 delivered. This gives you much more working capacity than any standard floor model drill press and you only sacrifice the number a speeds and 1/4 hp. But for a home woodworking shop how can I go wrong by upgrading to this from my current benchtop model?

# Motor: 1/2-HP, 110V
# Overall Height: 64-1/2"
# Spindle travel: 3-1/4"
# Number of speeds: 5
# Drill chuck: 1/8"-5/8"
# Range of speeds: 550, 880, 1520, 2490, 3470 RPM
# Swing: 34" maximum
# Table: Precision ground cast iron
# Table size: 12-1/4" Dia.
# Table swing: 360°
# Table tilts: 90° in both directions

Maurice Ungaro
10-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Greg,
That is a great price. As you are aware of the hp rating, also, be advised of the short spindle travel. It may be just what you need, and only you can answer that. I've always been interested in radial arm DPs.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-24-2005, 1:27 PM
Greg, that sure does look like a great price! I wish I had the cash now, I really wish I could upgrade from my benchtop. To drill for the tubes of pens, I have to move the table as the stroke isn't long enough!!

Byron Trantham
10-24-2005, 1:38 PM
Greg, great price and I am sure it will do everything you want to do with a drill press. Griz has a pretty good reputation.

JayStPeter
10-24-2005, 1:47 PM
Back when I was looking for a drill press I was considering that one. I recall reading some not so positive reviews of it. I can't remember where the reviews came from. It was either magazines or Badger Pond. Either way, I ruled out the radial DP for some reason. I wish I remembered the details or where to look for the reviews, but I don't.
The 14" DP from Grizzly was getting glowing reviews from magazines at the time. So, I had decided to go with that one. It's not too much more expensive. Unfortunately, I listened to some old iron lovers who convinced me I'd be happier with an old Delta 14" that was for sale locally.
One thing that would have made me unhappy with any of these choices is 3.25" spindle travel. It is one of the things keeping me from making any attempt at fixing up my current DP.

Jay

Jim Becker
10-24-2005, 1:47 PM
My big concern is that the slowest speed per the specs you copied is 550 rpm...much, much too fast for safe use of a fly cutter or large forstner bit, etc...and that picture is not of the radial; rather, the pic is of a regular fixed head DP.

Lars Thomas
10-24-2005, 1:51 PM
Jim, Looks like a radial to me (maybe the post was edited). Lars

Jim Becker
10-24-2005, 1:54 PM
Jim, Looks like a radial to me (maybe the post was edited). Lars

I stand corrected. I didn't click on the picture...this "thumbnail" thing is not my favorite feature of the new vBulletin software... :( But I also stand by my concern for the very limited speed ranges...

Michael Ballent
10-24-2005, 1:55 PM
The only other thing to keep in mind that you need the space behind the DP as well, like a SCMS... I would also be concerned about the potential deflection... and I would want the minimum speed to be slower... If memory serves me right there are quite a few drill press accessories that require about 200-300 RPM max speed, so that is a concern at least for me.

Dev Emch
10-24-2005, 4:10 PM
Speeds are bit to fast on the low end and not high enough on the high end.

Do they have a third pulley speed adjustment kit available? This third pulley sits atop the post and adds quite few more speeds esp. at the low end where you get about 150 or so RPM.

Richard Wolf
10-24-2005, 5:33 PM
Dev, I can't believe you would even comment on a Grizzly.

Richard

Randy Meijer
10-25-2005, 12:35 AM
I agree with the others who have commented on the lack of "LOWER" speeds.