PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying this wood

Tim Boger
06-18-2017, 4:15 PM
What type of wood do you folks think this is?

Thanks
Tim362314

William Bachtel
06-18-2017, 4:30 PM
Could be Hickory, looks real close to it.

Tim Boger
06-18-2017, 4:47 PM
Hey William ... that was my first thought, I seldom have Hickory to work with so I'm guessing really.

Thanks for your help.
Tim

Could be Hickory, looks real close to it.

John K Jordan
06-18-2017, 6:30 PM
Hey William ... that was my first thought, I seldom have Hickory to work with so I'm guessing really.

Tim, you might shave and look at the end grain and compare it to hickory photos on the Wood Database. Might tell you if Hickory is possible. That website lists seven varieties.

If it is Hickory, be prepared - Hickory is often pretty hard, much harder than ash, for example, especially when dry. I've heard otherwise gentle people use bad language while turning it. I thought it was no problem with sharp tools.

If you like Hickory, bring a truck - I have big hickory and white oak logs.

JKJ

John Grace
06-18-2017, 6:47 PM
I've just finished turning two dozen hickory blanks and that looks familiar. Yes...it's quite hard when dry but it will also take an excellent sheen. Super sharp tools and turn as fast as you deem safe.

Tim Boger
06-18-2017, 7:33 PM
Hey John,

Thanks for the specific info ... also the generous offer, one of these
days I may take you up on that.

Tim

Tim, you might shave and look at the end grain and compare it to hickory photos on the Wood Database. Might tell you if Hickory is possible. That website lists seven varieties.

If it is Hickory, be prepared - Hickory is often pretty hard, much harder than ash, for example, especially when dry. I've heard otherwise gentle people use bad language while turning it. I thought it was no problem with sharp tools.

If you like Hickory, bring a truck - I have big hickory and white oak logs.

JKJ

Tim Boger
06-18-2017, 7:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback and turning tips John, I appreciate it.
Tim

Thomas Heck
06-19-2017, 8:20 AM
It might be Paulownia. It is a lightweight wood. If it feels pretty light, it's probably Paulownia. Is that hole in the heart of the tree?

Aaron Craven
06-19-2017, 8:54 AM
My first thought was hickory, though I wouldn't take my word on it. If it is hickory, it will be quite hard (especially if dry), and likely will dull tools quickly. With sharp tools, it cuts cleanly and isn't much more difficult than most other woods, but does require more frequent trips to the grinder to freshen the edge. On the other hand, it sands out to a beautiful soft gloss finish and resists dings and scratches better than other softer woods. It's actually one of my favorite woods to turn.

Barry McFadden
06-19-2017, 9:51 AM
Looks like it could be Butternut to me...

Prashun Patel
06-19-2017, 9:56 AM
Where are you located?

Looks like ash to me. If so, and if you are making a bowl, I vote to turn it upside down (bark side out). I love the smoke ring effect this gives in ash.

Tim Boger
06-19-2017, 10:56 AM
Paulownia, interesting thought ... there certainly is a resemblance, although it doesn't feel unusually light weight.

Tim Boger
06-19-2017, 10:59 AM
I'm in South Carolina, the piece I have is 3/4" X 12" X 3' so no bowls from this piece. Great suggestion though. Thanks !

Where are you located?

Looks like ash to me. If so, and if you are making a bowl, I vote to turn it upside down (bark side out). I love the smoke ring effect this gives in ash.

Aaron Craven
06-19-2017, 1:02 PM
I'm in South Carolina, the piece I have is 3/4" X 12" X 3' so no bowls from this piece. Great suggestion though. Thanks !

No kidding! I'm horrible with names, Tim, but are you a member of Palmetto Woodturners?

Doug W Swanson
06-19-2017, 4:14 PM
Looks like it could be Butternut to me...

I'm with Barry on this one. Looks a lot like butternut to me....

John K Jordan
06-19-2017, 5:16 PM
Paulownia, interesting thought ... there certainly is a resemblance, although it doesn't feel unusually light weight.

Paulownia is soft enough to mark with a thumbnail.

To use weight to help with ID, cut a rectangular piece appropriate for your best scale, measure the volume carefully, weigh, and compare with the numbers in tables or on the Wood Database. I have good gram scales so I can use small pieces but for more common household scales you might weigh the entire board. Density is usually given in oven-dry weight so even kiln dried wood will weigh a little more than the tables.

But again, looking at the end grain and comparing it with photos of candidate woods might easily rule out some species. Guessing the species by looking at the board is often just a wild guess since there is wide variation. Just look at the variation in hickory boards here: http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/hickory.htm

Note that hickory often has dark heartwood, white sapwood.

Depending on how important it is to know this species and how quick you need it, you can get positive IDs by sending a small sample to the US Forest Products Laboratory. They will ID up to 5 pieces per year per citizen for no charge. It may take a few weeks to get results back.

JKJ

robert baccus
06-19-2017, 11:58 PM
It appears there is insufficient evidence here to make a decent ID.

Tim Boger
06-20-2017, 7:28 AM
I was for a brief period, great club ... unfortunately my work schedule and the monthly meetings overlapped.

Tim
No kidding! I'm horrible with names, Tim, but are you a member of Palmetto Woodturners?

Tim Boger
06-20-2017, 7:33 AM
Thanks for your feedback Robert, I'm going with Hickory.

It appears there is insufficient evidence here to make a decent ID.

Aaron Craven
06-20-2017, 8:14 AM
I was for a brief period, great club ... unfortunately my work schedule and the monthly meetings overlapped.

Tim

I can understand that. Luckily my weekends are usually free (at least as far as work is concerned). If you get a chance to drop in some time, you'll be welcome.

Leo Van Der Loo
06-20-2017, 11:22 AM
Just a picture of some face grain is not enough to get any idea of what kind of wood it is, and I’m not going to guess on it.

There is no way one can be reasonable sure of what kind of wood it is by just looking at a picture of some face grain IMO, but you can give it a name you would like it to be of course ;)

John K Jordan
06-20-2017, 1:55 PM
There is no way one can be reasonable sure of what kind of wood it is by just looking at a picture of some face grain IMO, but you can give it a name you would like it to be of course ;)

I've seen club turnings from ring porous wood labled "cherry"!

How about this? I might start writing "Tree Wood" on my turnings.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=362427&d=1497981210

JKJ