PDA

View Full Version : Wood and steel wear

Derek Cohen
06-18-2017, 10:45 AM
Warren asked me a question here recently essentially about the silica content of Jarrah, since I had mentioned that Australian timbers can have a high silica content. The context of this is the high wear properties that Oz timbers have on tool steel.

As it happens, Jarrah has low silica content, and therefore its high wear properties are due to something else. My thoughts ran to its hardness (Janka ratings are high) and resin content (it is common to find pitch holes and veins in Jarrah). Jarrah is a eucalyptus, and these are common through Australia (although Jarrah is only found in my neck of the woods, in the south western section of Australia). The other common species are the acacias. These are more common to the Eastern states (other side of the island).

I decided to post the question on the Australian forum. Commonly, we Ozzies tend to bang on about the impact our timbers have on tool steel, whether this is in plane blades, chisels (both lathe and bench), and machine blades. Over the years we have seen the introduction of HSS (M2), A2, recently PM-V11, and even M4 replacing the O1 and high carbon steels commonly used by Stanley and many other manufacturers.

Our timbers do tend to be harder than those in other countries and we assume that this is a central cause for steel wear. The question I ask is "is this really so"?

The Janka rating for many of our timbers is much higher than most other countries. But is this enough to create the extra wear we experience? Other than silica, what else causes extra wear? Jarrah (among other eucalypts) is often quite interlocked. Is this enough to cause wear?

On a Google search I came up with a gem of an article, AUSTRALIAN EUCALYPTUS TIMBERS (http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/featurearticlesbytitle/970F3789D6DC0D6FCA2569DE00267E5E?OpenDocument), which has a chapter on "The Chemical Products of Australian Eucalypts". Editing this to the salient factors, the introduction starts,

1. General. - The important Australian genus, Eucalyptus, is remarkable for the number and diversity of its chemical constituents. It might perhaps appear from a cursory glance that these were distributed throughout the several groups in an irregular manner, but research has shown that this is not so, for a most orderly arrangement is traceable through the various members and groups of the genus, a peculiarity which suggests a predominating influence of evolutionary conditions.

The article then goes on to discussing a number of influences:

Inorganic factors: Understandably, different regions in Oz will influence differently, however "A striking peculiarity in the eucalypts is the relative constancy of the element manganese in the ash of related species." ...."In some eucalypts the calcium oxalate is present in such abundance that at times as much as one-sixth of the entire air-dried bark consists of crystallised calcium oxalate." ...

Another relevant influence is tannin. "All the exudations of the earlier members of the genus, as well as those of the closely related genus Angophora, contain the crystallisable body aromadendrin ... Economically this is of importance because the tannins in those species which contain eudesmin and aromadendrin in their kinos can be utilised for tanning purposes". One of the thoughts I had - lacking any knowledge of chemistry and how these chemicals develop over time in their natural state - is whether this is the same as the resins in the wood, and then whether these hardened resin veins we so frequently see in gums, create an abrasive compound?

A friend of mine, Bob, mills trees as a hobby (he is a retired physics professor). He wrote about his experiences (anecdotal evidence but still ..): "Silica content seems to be dependent on climate stress. This is quite noticeable when milling a yard tree versus a tree that has been in an area of bush where it has not seen much water especially in the last few decades around Perth. Tuart seems to be the most common trees that have this problem. Some deposit enough silica so that occasional sparks can be seen when cutting a clean dry wood on a long dead tree i.e. tree has probably died from lack of water. This is also supposed to happen but to a lesser extent in Jarrah and Marri.

In general timber hardness still dominates chainsawing because it's as much a puncture and tearing action akin to chiselling as it is cutting. The first time I milled an ironbark I could not believe how much extra it demanded of the chainsaw. If ironbark had been the first species I had milled I would have given up and gone home. About the 3rd log I milled was some sort of rock hard desert gum and it was bone dry and I managed to blow up the 50cc 40 year old well used chainsaw I was using at the time. I was not that fussed because that saw owed me nothing and I treated it as a learning exercise.

Another species that has given me grief is Rock Oak, a type of hard sheoak that grows in the WA (West Australia) wheatbelt. This also pulls up a lot of silica and I won't mill these unless they promise to yield a decent bit of timber."

While I have mainly posted about Jarrah, it is simply an example of trying to understand what properties are responsible for wear in tool steel. That different timbers wear steel differently is clear. What can we learn from American woods?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brian Holcombe
06-18-2017, 11:13 AM
Many Americans work with imported exotic species of wood. It's no longer my preference to do so but at one point I had more exotic wood furniture than anything else. The first piece of furniture I made was in Honduran rosewood, which is akin to granite. Anytime I think to worth with it now I usually chuck it back into the pile in short order. So we're not totally unaware but many would seem to prefer to work with milder species, myself included, but you do have woodworkers who seem to work difficult exotic woods almost exclusively. My local yard stocks many of those difficult timbers and they're often priced within a close margin to walnut. Walnut is so regularly exported that it is actually quite expensive.

When I work something like bubinga I'm typically taking lighter plane passes and chopping with smaller bites and sharpening more often. This makes the process more time consuming.

I work mainly with milder woods, this is purposeful in additional to a simple aesthetic preference. It's often not worth the effort for me to worth with exceptionally difficult woods if they add a great amount of time to a project. This is not always the case of hard vs soft but other properties are also included. I made shoji of western Red Cedar recently and it took multiples the time typically required of when I've made shoji in yellow cedar. It's often a wood chosen for panels with that reasoning in mind. It is difficult to work becuase it is especially soft and exceptionally difficult to plane if you do not choose your boards very wisely.

Given so many choices it makes sense to me to choose based on a combination of time consumption price and aesthetics. I understand Australia imports many species of wood, so does it not turn out that a host of similar choices are available to you at the start of a project. In other words could you not simply choose to use woods easier to work? What draws you to use exceptionally difficult timbers?

Derek Cohen
06-18-2017, 11:40 AM
I understand Australia imports many species of wood, so does it not turn out that a host of similar choices are available to you at the start of a project. In other words could you not simply choose to use woods easier to work? What draws you to use exceptionally difficult timbers?

Brian, thanks for your comments. It is going off on a tangent to answer this, but I will respond, since some background here is relevant.

Western Australia (where I live) is separated from the Eastern states by a greater distance than New York to LA. Much of what lies in between is desert. Anything that comes from the Eastern states is railed in, and expensive. Very little wood is imported into Australia since very expensive. The kitchen cabinet doors and drawer fronts I recently completed cost around $3000 in rough sawn hard maple boards imported from the USA. Over the years I have made a conscious effort to work as much as possible with reclaimed and salvage timber. West Australian woods are beautiful, but they are all hard (

Western Australia:
Jarrah - Janka 1,860 lbf (8,270 N);
Karri - 2,030 lbf (9,030 N);
Sheoak - 2,190 lbf (9,730 N); (I am currently building the table top of the sofa table project in Sheoak)

Honduran Rosewood - 2,200 lbf (9,790 N);

USA:
Black Walnut - 1,010 lbf (4,490 N);
Hard Maple - 1,450 lbf (6,450 N)

There is a good bit of Jarrah to be found this way. It was used for roofing timbers and piers, sleepers in the garden. It does not rot. Now the forests are gone, and it is all precious to me.

The bottom line is that I build with what I have available. I would kill for your hard maple and walnut.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brian Holcombe
06-18-2017, 1:13 PM
Price per board foot is much more relevant but much like Australia it would seem that what you pay us often very dependent upon location. I typically pay $8 bf for hard maple, $10-$15 for walnut and most every other domestic is within that range except ash. Travel to Ohio and walnut is more like $4-5bf, travel to the west coast and softwoods that I pay dearly for are tangibly priced.

Kees Heiden
06-18-2017, 1:46 PM
An article I had saved gives some idea about this wear from Silica and Extractives (whatever they may be).

The summary:

I can send you the article if you want to read it.

Kees Heiden
06-18-2017, 1:59 PM
From the same article: Silica does play a significant role in tool wear. Here two tools steel (HSS and Carbide).

Patrick Chase
06-18-2017, 3:27 PM
...."In some eucalypts the calcium oxalate is present in such abundance that at times as much as one-sixth of the entire air-dried bark consists of crystallised calcium oxalate." ...

Kidney stones! Woohoo!

If the amount of damage Calcium Oxalate crystals do passing through us is any indication then they can't be good for your plane. Seriously, at least one of the crystalline forms (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weddellite) is fairly hard and would have nontrivial abrasive effects.

Patrick Chase
06-18-2017, 3:31 PM
Brian, thanks for your comments. It is going off on a tangent to answer this, but I will respond, since some background here is relevant.

Western Australia (where I live) is separated from the Eastern states by a greater distance than New York to LA. Much of what lies in between is desert. Anything that comes from the Eastern states is railed in, and expensive. Very little wood is imported into Australia since very expensive. The kitchen cabinet doors and drawer fronts I recently completed cost around $3000 in rough sawn hard maple boards imported from the USA. Over the years I have made a conscious effort to work as much as possible with reclaimed and salvage timber. West Australian woods are beautiful, but they are all hard (

Western Australia:
Jarrah - Janka 1,860 lbf (8,270 N);
Karri - 2,030 lbf (9,030 N);
Sheoak - 2,190 lbf (9,730 N); (I am currently building the table top of the sofa table project in Sheoak)

Honduran Rosewood - 2,200 lbf (9,790 N);

USA:
Black Walnut - 1,010 lbf (4,490 N);
Hard Maple - 1,450 lbf (6,450 N)

There is a good bit of Jarrah to be found this way. It was used for roofing timbers and piers, sleepers in the garden. It does not rot. Now the forests are gone, and it is all precious to me.

The bottom line is that I build with what I have available. I would kill for your hard maple and walnut.

Regards from Perth

Derek

To be fair there are some domestic hardwoods (mostly from the South) that are up there as well. I concede that Oz has more of them and in more abundance though.

Live Oak - 2680 lbf
Mesquite - 2345
Black Locust - 1700

Noah Magnuson
06-18-2017, 4:22 PM
While silica is a common culprit in woods and bamboo as far as a source of wear, I think you have begun to uncover that it is an assortment of minerals that are probably anecdotally attributed to silica. Having once been a plant phys. guy, I would suspect that hardening and mineralization of the xylem tissue in trees is both soil and species dependent. The colors of hardwoods are a factor of mineral storage, so it is likely that there are a handful of major components that are primary in red vs. black vs. other color woods. Again, this is all "educated-speculation". Additionally, both the soil availability and age of tree can have a huge influence.

I remember reading many years ago that it took more than a hundred years for many species to fully "fill" the cells with various secondary chemicals beyond the cellulose base. This paper focused on softwoods respecting insect and rot resistance chemicals (tannins etc.). but it is likely a similar situation. I would not be surprised if heartwood from a 100 year old hardwood was notably harder and denser than identical "looking" heartwood from a 40 year old tree.

Joe A Faulkner
06-18-2017, 10:30 PM
To be fair there are some domestic hardwoods (mostly from the South) that are up there as well. I concede that Oz has more of them and in more abundance though.

Live Oak - 2680 lbf
Mesquite - 2345
Black Locust - 1700

In the midwest we have
Osage Orange 2,620 lbf (11,640 N) - which almost no one harvests or mills for lumber and
Pignut Hickory 2,140 lbf (9,520 N)

Kees Heiden
06-19-2017, 3:59 AM
An idea: Do a test with Jarrah and Teak.

Jarrah is hard and has a low silica content. Teak is much softer but has a high silica content. It would be interesting to see if tool wear progresses at the same rate. Or if the edge wears in a different manner. But it won't be easy to see the difference between the two, I'm afraid!

Graham Haydon
06-19-2017, 5:06 PM
Noah, I would be interested to read more about the durability of wood. I have experience, but no written evidence. One of Europe's most versatile timbers, Pinus Sylvestris, has become a fast growing, juvenile tree. It used to be relied upon for a decent durability, now it is very poor.

On wear, the worst thing I work is Iroko. While relatively low on the Janka scale in relation to Australian Granite, http://www.wood-database.com/iroko/ The calcium carbonate deposits that can be present dull HSS within a moment, luckily they are normally easy to spot as they appear as white streaks.