PDA

View Full Version : Went to see the US Marine Museum in Quantico, VA today

Paul McGaha
06-17-2017, 8:42 PM
It's just incredible. Just my opinion but I think it's of Smithsonian quality.

It's very large and full of exhibits. Takes at least a half day to cover it all.

Highly recommend it.

PHM

Bert Kemp
06-18-2017, 11:15 AM
Oh Lucky you. I want to go so bad. Its on my bucket list. I hope to make it.

John K Jordan
06-18-2017, 2:15 PM
It's just incredible. Just my opinion but I think it's of Smithsonian quality.
It's very large and full of exhibits. Takes at least a half day to cover it all.
Highly recommend it.

I'll bet that was great. I want to see it when I'm next in the area.

Ahh, are you sure it was a museum? :) I just read this the other day: https://xkcd.com/1850/

JKJ

Chet R Parks
06-18-2017, 4:29 PM
I've been following it's progress, for what is it 12-15 years now? Even donated a few times. It would be a good trip can also visit "The Wall" again.
Chet

Paul McGaha
06-18-2017, 7:29 PM
I should have included a link to the museum in the 1st post:

http://www.usmcmuseum.com/

The attention to detail in the exhibits is just wonderful.

Several large pieces on display, Planes and Helicopters and Tanks.

PHM

Dave Anderson NH
06-19-2017, 12:37 PM
I highly recommend it Bert. I have been several times. As a point of interest, each of the faces on each of the full sized mannequins in the displays and dioramas is a live face mask from a living active duty Marine. A warning for Marine grunt veterans though, the trip through the fuselage of the CH-46 can bring back some not so nice memories. As soon as I got into the fuselage with the vibration, rotor noise, and increased air temperature, the hair on my arms and the back of my next stood up, I started to sweat, and the memories of hot LZs came rushing back. Some of the other exhibits are equally evocative to combat vets so be prepared.

Bert Kemp
06-19-2017, 8:55 PM
Thanks Dave I really hope to get there.

I highly recommend it Bert. I have been several times. As a point of interest, each of the faces on each of the full sized mannequins in the displays and dioramas is a live face mask from a living active duty Marine. A warning for Marine grunt veterans though, the trip through the fuselage of the CH-46 can bring back some not so nice memories. As soon as I got into the fuselage with the vibration, rotor noise, and increased air temperature, the hair on my arms and the back of my next stood up, I started to sweat, and the memories of hot LZs came rushing back. Some of the other exhibits are equally evocative to combat vets so be prepared.

Mark Patoka
06-23-2017, 12:44 PM
I live just a couple miles from there and finally went a couple years ago. It's definitely a must see on any visitors list.