PDA

View Full Version : Central FL Radar Loop

Jay Knoll
10-24-2005, 10:47 AM
In case you're interested in how I'm spending my morning!

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/mlb_NCR_lp.shtml

Not too bad right now, looks like we got lucky (so far) but it ain't over yet!

Jay

Jeff Sudmeier
10-24-2005, 10:52 AM
WOW! Good luck Jay, I hope you, your family and your friends come out unscathed!!

Keep us updated...

John Miliunas
10-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Hi Jay. I can only pray and wish for continued good luck with it! Last I saw, it's progressing real, real fast cross country there. Depending on if you're on the South or North side of the eye, could make a BIG difference. I've still not been able to reach my daughter this morning. :( She and her baby were riding it out at her friend's house in Ft. Myers. :( :cool:

Rob Bourgeois
10-24-2005, 12:57 PM
John and other trying to reach family or friends.

Use a land line when you call. Cell towers will be downn and your cell might not connect to a land line till the signal gets close to the person you are calling.

When Katrina hit and up to a week after, I could call my parents by land line but not cell. In fact cell to cell is still not quite fixed yet and is still hit and miss.

Also remember if the electricity is out and all the person has is a cordless phone they wont have phone useage.

John Miliunas
10-24-2005, 1:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Rob. I've been trying to call via copper but, I have a hunch it's as you say about the power outages. Our daughter was going to stay at a girl-friend's and, it appears there's power there, because I did get an answering machine. I get ring but, no answer at my daughter's place, though I know we had sent her an "old-fashioned" phone some time ago for emergencies such as this. I'll keep trying. Thanks again!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
10-24-2005, 4:44 PM
Earlier in the day, I got a text message from my friend near Ft. Lauderdale...she and her dog were hunkered down in a closet and she said it was "very bad"...I quote. They really got hammered, but I don't know the extent as I have not been able to get any more messages through.

Andrew Ault
10-24-2005, 5:34 PM
My BIL in Boca Raton said that the back of the eye-wall was strongest as it passed over his house. He said the power of the storm was bad. His house (and roof) survived (luck), but many trees and anything not really substantial are gone. He put up his storm window protection and pulled his mailbox, etc. yesterday.

No power or telephone where he is. Water is on. Cell phone working. He went to backup power and is taking a nap before putting the hurricane armor away later. Utilities are generally underground in his area, so he expects to be on generator for perhaps a week.

Pete Simmons
10-24-2005, 7:50 PM
Jay: Is what we had today the cyclone I keep reading about in the forums? Hope everything is fine with you. We had little damage in this area. Some localized damage shown over and over on TV. I bet by a tornado. Maybe 5 hours of 70 mph of so wind with gusts up to around 100. You must have had stronger winds in Vero. There must be a better way to get the dust out of the shop!

John Miliunas
10-24-2005, 8:44 PM
Pete, sincerely happy you and yours are OK!:) We finally heard from our daughter, late this afternoon. All is fine!:D Some trees down and minor damage to some privacy fences in her townhouse complex. They had local phone service down for a bit, but restored by mid morning and most power in her area back up around Noon or so. I only hope that the rest of our Floridian Creekers faired as well!:) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
10-25-2005, 8:26 AM
John,

I was thinking of your Daughter last night and was going to email you this morning. I am glad to hear her and the new baby are well!

Tom Hamilton
10-25-2005, 8:39 AM
Hi Jay:

Hope everything is OK for you and yours.

Vero has a special place in our memory bank as my FIL was one of the first residents in the Spires in the early 70's. Later he moved to Treasure Cove.

We introduced our then toddler children to the Atlantic on your beaches.:D

So hope all is well. TJH

Jay Knoll
10-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi everyone

Well it was interesting! We lost power around 12 pm and then it came on this morning around 8:30.

Not a lot of major damage, had some water blow into the louvered ends of our roof (the gable is constructed so the entire end is a big louver) This happened last year and I was told "that only happens when it is a really strong storm!" Well, twice in two years in too much, I know what my next project is, I'm going to fill those holes.

Lots of debris in the yard, but nothing we can't handle. Fortunately we are on City power, FPL is saying that it is going to be weeks before they restore the grid in some parts of the county.

Thanks for all your good wishes.

Jay