PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for selling woodworking patterns

Raymond Fries
06-16-2017, 3:59 PM
I closed a an online pattern business about five years ago. I am thinking about selling a few of the better selling ones on ebay and etsy. All of the patterns have my old company name on the top of each page.

Is it OK to sell them like this since the company does not exist anymore?
Should I change or remove the name?

I would like your thoughts or advice please.

Thanks

Matt Day
06-16-2017, 5:30 PM
What do you mean by woodworking pattern?

Pat Barry
06-16-2017, 6:42 PM
Was it your business? Did you own it and the designs? Were they copyrighted? Did you sell the business?

Raymond Fries
06-16-2017, 7:21 PM
Was it your business? Did you own it and the designs? Were they copyrighted? Did you sell the business?

Yes I owned the business and all of the designs. All of the patterns were copyrighted. I did not sell the business although I was made offers. i just closed it down. The patterns were sold on a website that I managed.

Raymond Fries
06-16-2017, 8:01 PM
What do you mean by woodworking pattern?

Matt. They are full size drawings to make projects from wood.

Dave Richards
06-16-2017, 8:39 PM
In what format do you have these patterns?If they are printed on paper, I would be inclinded to print a label indicating that the business name on them is your now defunct company so as to head off any possible complaints that you are selling something that doesn't belong to you. Then list them for sale and clear out your inventory.

Raymond Fries
06-16-2017, 9:54 PM
Good thought Dave. All of the plans are in electronic format so easy to make any necessary change.

Keith Outten
06-17-2017, 7:36 AM
If your plans are in digital format then you don't have inventory that needs to be moved.
Remove your company name and replace it with your name but the risk of personal legal action will be on your shoulders if your design happens to hurt someone. Remember how crazy people can be these days, they will run to a lawyer in a micro second.