PDA

View Full Version : The Howard Adjusters for LN block planes

Derek Cohen
06-15-2017, 10:23 AM
I recently purchased a second Howard Adjuster, this time for my LN #103, and I thought it would be helpful to post a few pictures. These are available from David Eckert at The ToolWorks (http://www.thetoolworks.com.au/).

The LN #103 was the first new plane I ever purchased, about 20 years ago. It is a fabulous little block plane - although I must confess that I thought I was purchasing the #102 at the time. I should have taken along my reading glasses! :) The #103 is a standard angle plane (20 degree bed), which creates a 45 degree cutting angle with a blade that has a 25 degree bevel. I suspect (not sure) that the one I have has the original W1 steel. This plane is ideal for breaking edges and chamfers, where the higher cutting angle reduces the vulnerability for tearout.

A few years went by and I purchased the LN #60 1/2 low angle block plane (12 degree bed) especially for trimming end grain. I have always liked using this plane. I think the blade is A2, but I have nothing but praise for its edge holding. More than anything, this is a very comfortable plane in the hand. It is a perfect size for my hand, and I like the heft - as with the #103, the #60 1/2 creates a sense of authority for its size.

It was only when I began using the Veritas DX/NX60 block planes that I became conscious that the adjustments on the LN block planes lagged behind their ergonomics and performance. The mouth adjuster on the #60 1/2 is stiff and jerky, even when lubricated. This is Stanley's fault (they designed it). And then there was the blade adjusters .. even with the lever cap screw really loosened off, the adjuster was stiff .. very stiff. The lever cap screw needed to be slackened off completely to adjust the blade projection.

Enter Bob Howard. Bob is a fellow Aussie, a furniture maker, teacher and frequent writer for woodworking magazines of tool review and furniture builds. He designed and developed a bearing-based adjuster to replace the solid steel adjuster used on the LN block planes. I purchased one for the #60 1/2 a few years ago. More recently, I received one for the #103 (the one with the brass rear).

The Howard version has slightly larger diameter than the original. More grip is better grip ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/Lie%20Nielsen/Howard%20Adjuster/4_zpsdkxotaww.jpg

Here is a #60 1/2 and #103 alongside a Rabbet block plane, which has the original LN adjuster ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/Lie%20Nielsen/Howard%20Adjuster/1_zpsmsxk6yc4.jpg

Close ups ...

#60 1/2:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/Lie%20Nielsen/Howard%20Adjuster/2_zpsycdixr4v.jpg

#103:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/Lie%20Nielsen/Howard%20Adjuster/3_zpseltdika4.jpg

So how do they work?

Firstly, they are a direct replacement. Just screw off the original, and screw on the Howard. One word of warning - important ... If you have an early version of the #102/103, then it is likely that the screw section is a different thickness to more recent versions. The current version of the screw section is the same thickness at the #60 1/2. When I received the #103 Howard adjuster, it did not fit. As a result, there are now adjusters available for the early versions of the #102/103. There has only ever been one screw size for the #60 1/2, so no issues there. Note also, that the Howard #60 1/2 adjuster also fits the Rabbet block plane, and Skew block planes (possibly also the #62 and the #164). The smaller adjuster also fits the shoulder planes.

Is it worth the cost and effort? This is difficult to answer. The planes work pretty well with the original adjusters. Add a little silicon grease, and it is a touch better still. On the other hand, the Howard adjusters are inexpensive, beautifully made, I find they are more attractive, and they do work better still. I find that blades can be adjusted with secure clamping ("secure clamping" means that the lever cap is firm enough not to move), which is what it is all about. It is not possible to turn the original adjuster with the same downforce (and I must warn you never to try that - you will damage the screw!). So, for me these accessories are well worth their cost.

Regards from Perth

Derek

lowell holmes
06-15-2017, 11:42 AM
I have the 140 and the Rabbet block plane. I never have to really honk down on them. The brass adjusters are attractive. I would like the 103, but I have an apron plane already.
I really don't need another plane. :(

Jim Koepke
06-15-2017, 11:46 AM
I really don't need another plane.

I keep telling myself that. Then a lonely plane at a yard sale or antique shop pleads with me to take it home...

jtk

Mike Henderson
06-15-2017, 11:52 AM
I didn't see the price in Derek's posting above so I went to the Toolworks site. The adjusters are about $22 USD ($29 AUD) plus shipping. I couldn't get shipping cost without going through checkout but I would guess somewhere between $5 and $7 from Australia to the US based on shipping I have done to Australia.

Mike

allen long
06-15-2017, 12:14 PM
I received both adjusters a few weeks ago. The total cost to the US was about $51 =/- a dollar or two.

I must have the older style 60 1/2 since I had to remove some stock from the adjuster and the back of the iron to get the adjuster from touching the blade in the section behind the bearing. Prior to fettling blade and adjuster it dragged and was not an improvement. With the adjustments, it works very nicely.

That said, prior to receiving the adjusters, I polished the slot of the blade and the part of the knurled nut that rides in the blade slot. I then waxed the slot and the knurled nut with renaissance wax. I have to say, it actually came pretty close to the action of the howard adjusters.

While I suspected this would be the case, I knew I would not be satisfied until I acquired the adjusters (more money than sense - I guess) So if you want to save money, a half hour of polishing and waxing the business portions of the iron slot and original knurled nut, you can get pretty close to the Howard adjuster - not quite, but significantly better than as-received from LN.

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen

David Eisenhauer
06-15-2017, 1:09 PM
Allen, how did you polish the slot on the blade?

Mike Brady
06-15-2017, 2:01 PM
I really like the engineering of the Howard adjusters. I bought both sizes and now that a re-read this, I think I received the wrong adjuster for my LN 102. The barrel of the adjuster does rub on the bottom of the iron. I think it will wear in eventually, but it looks like they need to find tolerances that fit any of the narrow blade LN planes. How would one know what is "early or late" production differences?

allen long
06-15-2017, 2:35 PM
Allen, how did you polish the slot on the blade?

I used sand paper starting with about 220 up to about 600. Was a bit tedious, but it did make quite a difference.

To address Mike's comments, I also used a fine auger bit file to remove the extra material on the adjuster diameter right behind the bearing. I then ground a little bit of the back end of the blade. I also ground little bit in thickness from the back end of the blade up to the slot that the adjuster rides in.

allen long
06-16-2017, 9:49 PM
David Eckert the maker of the Howard adjuster was kind enough to reach out to Mike and me via email. It is a pleasure buying from a maker / seller who is so attentive.

Acording to David, if you have the same issue that Mike and I had, you can exert a little downward pressure on the plane screw stem to bend end it every so lightly. I had already modified my Howard Adjuster so that it worked as smooth as glass and didn't need to adjust the action any further.

Mike gave David's method a try and said it worked extremely well. I am sure David's method was much faster than mine.

I highly recommend these adjusters. I can also say I find David Eckert's service after the sale to be even more stellar.

If you have a plane that can use one of the adjusters supporting someone like David will alone be worth it. And you will have a very attractive smooth movement to boot!

Thank you David!

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen

David Eisenhauer
06-16-2017, 10:30 PM
Thanks Allen and Derek for all the info.

Mike Brady
06-17-2017, 8:28 AM
I have the 140 and the Rabbet block plane. I never have to really honk down on them. The brass adjusters are attractive. I would like the 103, but I have an apron plane already.
I really don't need another plane. :(

You won't have that dilemma any longer. The LN 103 was discontinued awhile ago.

Mike Brady
06-17-2017, 8:38 AM
David Eckert did indeed respond directly after reading this thread, and his suggestion for a quick fix was done by me in just a few minutes. He should be commended for reaching out to his customers; something that another maker, Rob Lee, is well-known for. Why don't American tool makers do this?

Jack Lemley
06-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Do these adjusters work on LN planes only?

Jack

george wilson
06-17-2017, 10:48 AM
I have a few small drawers full of sealed ball bearings, many in quite small sizes. I'm sure I can find one that will fit the plane's groove. I'll have to make a fancy adjustment knob for my LN block plane. The adjuster it has always looks like an electrical connecter post to me! I'll use a rope knurl on it.and turn some nice little contours. Not the first time I have replaced those flat, diamond knurled parts.

Derek Cohen
06-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Do these adjusters work on LN planes only?

Jack

Jack, I'm afraid that the answer is "yes". What plane were you thinking of - perhaps George can advise.

Regards from Perth

Derek

george wilson
06-17-2017, 1:50 PM
The only LV block plane I currently own is the NX60(?) I doubt any other parts would fit it. But,don't take my word on it.

Derek Cohen
06-17-2017, 8:40 PM
George, I rather doubt that it would be a LV. They have a different system (the way Norris would have liked it to be), and all run smoothly. The LN is the bearer of the Stanley design, which uses a slot and a screw, and so I imagine that the "other" is a Stanley or variation.

Regards from Perth

Derek

david charlesworth
06-18-2017, 6:39 AM
Derek,

The L-N 60 1/2 has a diagonal slot for the mouth adjustment. The early Stanley's had a curved slot which worked quite smoothly.

best wishes,
David

Derek Cohen
06-18-2017, 8:42 AM
Hi David

You are correct about the adjusters for the mouth.

Here is my LN #60 1/2 alongside a Stanley #60 1/2 (I have no idea of the date of it - perhaps someone can say) ..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/Lie%20Nielsen/Howard%20Adjuster/LN-S1_zpsnrat1kke.jpg

And here are the adjusters. As you mentioned, the Stanley has a curved slot ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/Lie%20Nielsen/Howard%20Adjuster/LN-S2_zpsba251x3k.jpg

.. and the LN is diagonal ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/Lie%20Nielsen/Howard%20Adjuster/LN-S3_zps6cthqfmj.jpg

They are adjusted in exactly the same way ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/Lie%20Nielsen/Howard%20Adjuster/LN-S4_zpszpijbfyf.jpg

I agree with you that the LN moves more smoothly than the Stanley. I have no complaints about my LN since I have kept it clean and lubricated. However it will become sticky if not a maintained regularly. The issue is, as I mentioned earlier, that this is a Stanley design, although LN have improved it - which is what they have done with all the Stanley designs.

Regards from Perth

Derek

david charlesworth
06-19-2017, 9:15 AM
Derek,

I was suggesting that the Stanley design was better in this small detail!!

The cost cutting which went on in the later part of the last century, ruined the Stanley tool.

best wishes,
David

Derek Cohen
06-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Hi David

I found that the LN was an improvement over the Stanley. The LN requires less force and is smoother than the Stanley. Your experience is different?

Regards from Perth

Derek

david charlesworth
06-19-2017, 10:54 AM
Interesting, I found the Stanley curved slot to be smoother.

Oi Veh!

David

Graham Haydon
06-19-2017, 4:06 PM
I went over to our assembly area and took down the recently made Stanley block plane. The adjuster for the mouth is still made in the same way as shown in Derek's photo. It adjusted well, although could have been better. It seems the issue was lack of care. However, I was able to make it adjust very smoothly with a simple method. I used the flat of my thumb to push and pull the mouth as required while moving the adjuster with the other hand. Despite Stanley's sad neglect of the Bailey line (although some of their other, current tools are excellent) this block plane works very well.

Mark R Webster
06-19-2017, 5:56 PM
I purchased the Large Howard adjusters for my LN 60 1/2 and LN rabbit block and am very happy with the improvement in action.

Eric Brown
06-24-2017, 11:20 AM
I have found that the large also works on the St James Bay Tool Company large router. It might also work on the Lie-Nielsen large router. Not sure about Veritas as they may have metric threads. It will not work on the Walke-Moore 2500 as it uses a courser thread. Same thing with the Record 778 rabbit plane.