PDA

View Full Version : For SketchUp users or those interested

Dave Richards
10-24-2005, 8:53 AM
I just thought I'd post a drawing I did yesterday in SketchUp. The cabinet is the one in the latest FWW. I added the bottle just for fun. Then I rendered it with a simple, free application called Kerkythea.
http://hamiltonwoodworks.com/drichards/wallcab1.jpg

Jeff Sudmeier
10-24-2005, 9:02 AM
Dave, now that is just too cool! With all of these sketch up posts, I may just have to break down and get me a copy.

Jim Becker
10-24-2005, 9:25 AM
Kerkythea looks really interesting judging from the results, Dave. Thanks for the reference!

Dave Richards
10-24-2005, 9:48 AM
Jeff, thanks. I know SU isn't cheap but I think of it as just another power tool for my shop. It certainly ends up being a time saver for me.

Jim, FWIW, I made the "lights" for this drawing in SU. They are just rectangles placed as one would place soft boxes when doing a phot shoot. In this case there is a large box placed behind the viewer's left shoulder, a skinny one to the right of the first and one above the cabinet. The intensity and color of the light is adjusted in Kerkythea aka K.

Keith Starosta
10-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Dave, that is just awesome. I had to look at it a couple of times before I realized it was indeed a SU drawing.

Myself, being but a lowly SU hack, bow before you.... :-)

Keith

Mark Singer
10-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Amazing!!!!

Keel McDonald
10-24-2005, 11:16 AM
That is a nice drawing. Are there any other programs out there that any of you use for drawings/sketches/layouts?

Dave Richards
10-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Thank you all for the compliments. My point in posting this is that if I can do this, you all certainly can. I realize this sort of drawing isn't needed for creating shop drawings. The cool thing is, this could be your presentation to a client and you can use the same drawing from SU as your working drawing.

Keith, please get up off your knees. You'll just get them dirty. :D I'm still a hack with SU, too.

Keel, there are some CAD applications out there that would be good for making working drawings but I haven't seen any of them that can do 3D presentation drawings as nicely as SU. Even the raw output of SU is nice for showing others what you're working on.

Bruce Page
10-24-2005, 2:37 PM
Dave, what kind of wood is that!?! :rolleyes:

Awesome rendering!

I wonder if Kerkythea will work with SolidWorks?
I do have the PhotoWorks upgrade for SW, but haven't installed it yet.

Dave Richards
10-24-2005, 2:45 PM
Bruce, the wood is simucherry. You can get it for $0.00/BF with a 25% discount for 100 or more BF. :D

Thanks.

Kerkythea can import OBJ as well as a couple of other formats. I expect SW can export OBJ files.

Vaughn McMillan
10-25-2005, 5:18 AM
Bruce, in addition to the simucherry, I think the drawer bottom is made of shlamaca. I'll be well protected from the UV rays there.

BTW, nice work Dave.

- Vaughn