PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
10-24-2005, 8:45 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. I had to work from midnight Saturday night until 2PM Sunday....so I'm glad this weekend is over.

I delivered the churches cabinets Friday night. Mark, Samuel and I went in my neighbors panel truck and took all the cabs at one time and at least put them in the area where they are going to be installed when the church gets everything ready for the install. They said that the metal stud wall will not support cabinet weight and would need to put up 3/4" plywood over the walls so the cabinets can be mounted to them. To me? Sounds like one disadvantage for using metal studs. :rolleyes:

Anyway, you can see the cabs before they left my shop <a href="http://www.beautifulwood.net/current-projects.html">here.</a>
Now all I need to do is get them installed so I can get the "real" measurements for making the counter tops for them since the two halves will meet at a funky angle.

This week, I'm in the process of making 5 Beanbag Toss Games for a guy at church. I didn't realize that there is so much work to making a simple beanbag game like the advertised "Baggo" game. This is the last "have to" project and the rest of what I have for this year is stuff to get done for Christmas gifts....and a commissioned computer desk that I can work a little a long on since the customer is in no real hurry. :D

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
10-24-2005, 8:57 AM
The cabs look great, Dennis!

Weekend? We had a weekend? Oh, yea, that brief respite between "work" and "work". Mine was short. Late start of Saturday due to getting home late Friday night from a week in Las Vegas (business, unfortunately) and the associated time differences...didn't do much at all that day. Sunday, another late start, but in the afternoon I abused my body by cutting up a couple trees that had expired in the last year and split them for firewood...by hand. (Oh, ok...I didn't make it to the health club all week for my workouts, so I guess this was the substitute activity) I guess it's just shy of a half cord or so. It wasn't enough to bribe Fred into bringing over the splitter... ;)

Ed Lang
10-24-2005, 8:59 AM
I was able to turn this computer desk
http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/40580392-M.jpg

Into this computer desk
http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/41029284-M.jpg

And on Sunday afternoon I found these deer in my shop
http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/41245635-M.jpg

I also got some material ready for turning bowls and bottle stoppers in the evenings this week.

Great Weekend!

Jeff Sudmeier
10-24-2005, 9:03 AM
I worked on Christmas presents some more. Worked on a cheese knife, bread knife, two cutting boards, a stopper and a desk set. Tonight I will hopefully finish up the bread knife and cutting boards.

Dick Parr
10-24-2005, 9:03 AM
Dennis, those are some fine looking cabinets. I bet your glad to get them out of your shop.

Made 9 wands and couple bowls.

Today it looks like I work on winterizing the shop and the motor home, it was down to 38 this morning.:eek:

Matt Meiser
10-24-2005, 9:21 AM
I spent the whole weekend staining our new windows and sliding door, putting on the first coat of poly, and painting drywall around the door. The only woodworking I got in was making an oak threshold to fill the space between the door and carpet.

Jim Hager
10-24-2005, 9:37 AM
I didn't get much done this weekend. I did get 19 drawers built and installed in the cabinets I'm building. I also got the lazy susan corner cabinet built and the spinny thing installed. I spent quite a bit of time resting this weekend and trying to catch up on some other things.

I did go get an air conditioner/heat pump that was given to me. I worked on where to put it in my shop. I am limited in that the original engineering of the unit cannot be changed easily so I have to match the original use.

JayStPeter
10-24-2005, 9:47 AM
I was able to do some work on the kids beds. One of my stopping points was dull tools. So, with my new MkII in hand, I did all my chisels and my rabbet block plane. Now I can get on with final fitting of my joinery.
I also processed a bunch of rough lumber and started gluing up some large panels. Wow, 5 hrs. in the shop in one weekend is a recent record.

Jay

John Miliunas
10-24-2005, 9:49 AM
Dennis, very, very nice job on the cabs! They look wonderful!:)

I spent the bulk of the weekend schlepping around those heavy Ash stair treads, getting the voids filled, sanded, wiped down and then start squirting the bottoms for both, protection and looks, as it's going to be an open staircase. Ended up going to a friend's house Sat. w/LOML and sorting through a whole bunch of granite slabs and then picking out several pieces to take home for a future kitchen upgrade/remodel. That stint alone was a real clear indicator of how out of shape I truly am!!! Ouch!:o Spent some family time w/LOML & LOML Jr. and been on a constant hurrican watch throughout the weekend, as our older daughter is located in Ft. Myers, FL!:( Hope everyone has a great week!:) :cool:

Larry Fox
10-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Finished a new router table fence (based on Pat Warner's design) and think it turned out great. I really needed a new one. Also stickered a bunch of maple to be used as drawers for the kitch cabinets I plan on building this winter. Will be interesting to see if I survive the winter. :)

Michael Gabbay
10-24-2005, 10:49 AM
I got a lot done on the bathroom remodel. Starting last Monday, I had a plumber come in and help me install the whirlpool tub. From the get go, this project has been fighting me every step of the way. Monday was no exception. We had issues with where the manufacturer said the faucets should be mounted along with some other minor but time consuming issues. On Saturday and Sunday I finished getting the tub installed and finished the grout for the shower and tub front.

Saturday night I spent honing some chisels. Sunday night I cut some more dovetails. I now have two drawers ready for glue up and one more ready for pins to be cut. Three more drawers waiting to be worked on.

Mike

Scott Coffelt
10-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Flag Football double header this week and man did the temperature drop, it truly felt like football weather... now if I would have only planned for it and wore a warmer coat and gloves. I already have the start of a cold to prove it.

Watched "Kicking and Screaming" with the boy, I think he like it.

Spent a good bit of the weekend getting things ready for winter outside, removed hoses,lawn cusdhins, plants, etc.

I did get a little shop time in yesterday as I was working on putting a new top on the cabinet for the lathe and also traying to get the lathe mounted. Of course, I did not have the right bolts required (realized at 7PM) so I will have to pick up tonight.

Other than that... football, golf and racing on the tube.

That's about it.

Tom Conger
10-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Built a lumber rack in the "woodshop" and an oak frame for an oil painting (36x24). Came out so well that the boss ordered three more. Uhg! I hate picture frames.

Don Baer
10-24-2005, 11:25 AM
Didn't get much shop time in although I did steal a new TS for the shop which I'll be assembling this week after work (See my gloat post for PIX). I worked on the yard getting house ready to go on market sometime after first of the year. OH anbd I did spend some time with the grand daughter....:)

Dennis,
Those cabs look great but I bet your glad to get em out of the shop.

Mark Cothren
10-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Friday night was the cabinet delivery w/ Dennis.

Saturday I took the wife to Branson, MO and we went to the malls (oh boy) and to Silver Dollar City. That was a fun trip. They had quite a few craftsfolks set up with goods and displays. Saw some nice turnings from a guy using a mini-lathe. Watched the old steam-powered duplicator lathe that they always have there. Saw quite a bit of furniture, chests, boxes, etc, etc, too. Also met Buck Taylor who played "Newly" on Gunsmoke. He looks a little bit older now...:-)

Sunday was church and I also finish turned a Persimmon bowl and took it to an old couple at church Sunday night. The tree came from their yard (storm damage). They were pickled tink - er, tickled pink, that is...

Also finished up my first confetti lamp:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/CedarConfetti.jpg

Frank Pellow
10-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Most of my time was spent at family outings.

My only "accomplishment" was to get the pilot light lit on the space heater in my shop :) . Believe it or not, that task took about 3 hours (and during most of that time I was very frustrated :( ).

Chris Lee
10-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Not much shop time this weekend as I was visiting family in NC. Well after sitting around all morning since we were not bar-b-queing until 4 I decided to see if any lumber yards were near by and lo and behold Steve Wall lumver was only 20 minutes away! If you are ever near Mayodan NC stop by. It was a pleasure to visit a clean organized lumber yard with knowledgable staff. I made it out of there with some ash, bloodwood, wenge and a beautiul board of Bird's Eye Maple, covered in eyes! And my wife still hasn't figured out why I insisted we drive my truck instead of her car!:D

Chris

Lee DeRaud
10-24-2005, 12:11 PM
And on Sunday afternoon I found these deer in my shop
http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/41245635-M.jpg

Now you just have to train them to eat sawdust.:p

(Just noticed that lathe in the background: it looks big enough to turn a Scud!!:eek: )

Lee DeRaud
10-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Not much woodworking: my back has been hurting all week.:(

Since I couldn't seem to get off top-dead-center with my latest box project(s), I took a break and made some coasters, using a design from a scrollsaw magazine I picked up...was able to do most of that sitting at the laser. (Pics elsewhere/later when it gets light enough for the camera to work right.)

Zahid Naqvi
10-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. I had to work from midnight Saturday night until 2PM Sunday....so I'm glad this weekend is over.

I delivered the churches cabinets Friday night. Mark, Samuel and I went in my neighbors panel truck and took all the cabs at one time and at least put them in the area where they are going to be installed when the church gets everything ready for the install.

the cabinets look great.

Jim O'Dell
10-24-2005, 12:42 PM
I took a vacation day Friday, we left the house at 5:00 am (I thought I was supposed to get to sleep in on vacations!) drove to Shawnee, OK for 2 days of dogs shows. Spent Friday night with dog show friends in OKC. It was neat getting to see a pup we bred that they are owned by. The litter was 10 years old in June and we know there may not be too many more visits, but he is in great shape and acted like he remembered me. It was a neat feeling. Had lunch with my FIL, SIL and her new husband Sat noon, then drove back to Lake Texoma to spend a few hours with my parents. So we had a good visit trip and it was so beautiful. We brought the colder air home with us, but couldn't drag the lower gas prices for some reason. (saw gas as low as 2.07/9 at several places)
Cleared the dead fall off the roof Sunday mid day, then lounged around the rest of the day. Feel somewhat rejuvinated this am, so it was a good weekend. Jim

Marc Langille
10-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Hi Dennis,

Where in Arkansas are you located? I noticed the flag in the upper left on the main page of your site. I am in the NW corner, near Fayetteville.

Regards,
Marc

Byron Trantham
10-24-2005, 1:10 PM
Didn't do too much. Hung about seven pictures, lit the pilot light for the gas fire place, and started a small project of SWMBO. Headed to Houston on Wednesday to visit daughter and her family.

John Hart
10-24-2005, 1:11 PM
Spent Saturday picking up wood at the sawmill and getting the shop all spic and span. Spent Sunday undoing all my cleaning :rolleyes: and making a bunch of Prayer Clocks for a customer. Now, I'm feeling ill. Don't believe I've ever had this illness before. Sure feels wierd. :(

Steve Clardy
10-24-2005, 1:34 PM
Finally got to start the duplex cabinet install friday.
Been sitting on these cabinets for two weeks. They are off schedule with me. I'm usually the one thats behind schedule.
Got all cabs delivered and started the install on the right side apartment. Stored the cabs for the other side in the garage, as the drywall isn't done on that side. Went back saturday and finished the install on right side. Got them all done except for cabinet pulls. Two vanites set. Forgot to take a finished install pic before I left there.:rolleyes:
Simple basic cabinets, no frills, no detailed stuff. Just basic 30" uppers, 36" lowers, wood faced counter tops. All plywood construction.
My 16' trailer was quite full with both sets of cabs. Sure glad it wasn't raining.:)

Having a dickens of a time uploading pics again today.

I'll post cab pics later. Been trying for an hour and can't get it done.:(

John Renzetti
10-24-2005, 2:58 PM
Let's see. Saturday was mostly work with a four hour flight but in the late afternoon we had our daughter's tenth birthday. Saturday evening and all day Sunday I was able to finish up the first batch of shop cabinets. Got them all cut, edgebanded, bored, sanded and finished plus hung on the wall. Also have enough other cabinet parts to start on the base cabinets which will go on the left side of that shop wall.

Fred Voorhees
10-24-2005, 3:27 PM
I guess it's just shy of a half cord or so. It wasn't enough to bribe Fred into bringing over the splitter... ;)

The splitter hasn't made its seasonal debut as of yet, though it is due to make its face known very soon. As soon as the ground is dry enough to get it out of the shed. I guess I've got about two cords or so of black locust to hack up and split out in the back. Really need to get to that.

As far as stuff that got done this weekend. Well, I did manage to get the new shed doors hung Friday night seeing as Saturday was supposed to be nothing but rain. The doors were a vast improvement over what was there. Saturday morning entailed heading to a sporting goods store with a buddy so that he could pick out a new fishing rod and reel combo for the upcoming salmon fishing weekend. After that, it was a big clean up assignment above the bar room. That storage area looked as if a nuclear bomb had detonated and I just couldn't get up there in the summer with the heat build up up there. Likewise, in the dead of winter it gets mighty chilly, so it was the perfect opportunity to get up there and straighten up and decide what needs to be "chucked" since we have an upcoming township clean-up day soon.

Sunday found the better half and I sleeping in late (if you want to call 8:30 late) in bed and then rustling up some grub for breakfast and really not much of anything else beside taking in the NASCAR race from Martinsville.

Brian Austin
10-24-2005, 3:45 PM
Finished up some shop cabinets on Saturday. That should complete the upper storage for the shop now. I need to work on consolidating the toolcarts I've made, though. The new Unisaw and big extension table take more room than I figured. :(

I managed to get back into the air again, flying my Dad around northern Arizona. I've attached a photo of the Sedona, AZ, canyons, taken by my Dad out of a Cessna 172 on Sunday afternoon.

Andy Hoyt
10-24-2005, 4:20 PM
Spent the whole weekend dealing with this bugger.

Oh yeah. He had 487 bazillion cousins along for the ride

Dennis Peacock
10-24-2005, 5:05 PM
Hi Dennis,

Where in Arkansas are you located? I noticed the flag in the upper left on the main page of your site. I am in the NW corner, near Fayetteville.

Regards,
Marc

Look in the upper right of each of my posts. You'll see I'm in Conway, AR. :D

Jeremy Gibson
10-24-2005, 6:30 PM
I spent all day Saturday contemplating a new job offer. Sunday I accepted and worked on homework (completing my bachelors degree nights and weekends). Monday I called my manager and resigned from Big Blue.

Believe it or not, quiting may get me closer to that dream shop!

Dan Gill
10-25-2005, 11:45 AM
No shop time at all. After Upwards Soccer until 1:00 Saturday, I went to my daughter's Jr. High School and helped set up the stage for their production of The King and I. I got some rough carpentry work done there, making a balcony/ship's rail thing for the play. The kids were awesome! They all pitched in with a vengeance, unstacking and disassembling some flats, cleaning up, and generally showing what kids can do when they want to.

Sunday I planned to cut legs for the remaining flats, but popped a bone spur in my knee (that's what my orthopedist says - I have degenerative arthritis) and hobbled around on crutches the rest of the day and yesterday. Today, after some good cortisone, I'm down to one crutch and I leave that leaning somewhere most of the time. Still lots of putting my feet up.

This comes at a bad time, as I'm supposed to be finishing some hanging bookcases for a neighbor. But they'll have to wait.