PDA

View Full Version : Robert Sorby Pro Edge

Joe Cowan
06-14-2017, 10:49 AM
I am venturing into turning and my plane sharpening has not been good. I was looking at the Sorby Pro Edge for a sharpening method for my turning tools. Anyone have an opinion on this machine? I have a Jet slow speed grinder that I could hook up the Wolverine system to, but want the best tool for the job.

Prashun Patel
06-14-2017, 11:24 AM
Around these parts, Wolverine and Vari-grind is the most popular choice. If you can afford it, adding a CBN wheel makes the system (IMHO) perfect.
This is not to say other methods are inferior, just that the above combo is my personal 'best tool for the job'.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-14-2017, 12:43 PM
Since you already have the Jet slow speed grinder, I'd invest in the Tormek jigs. The drawback is slow to shape and change your grinds, the benefit is you grind away a minimum of your precious tool steel when you sharpen. The argument of which edge is "better" the smooth slow speed edge or the high speed serrated type edge rages on. There is no clear winner. Personally I like my Tormek. The oldest gouge I have and a brand new gouge are still almost the same length. The amount of steel that you lose per sharpening, is very very little. I recently added the 600 grit CBN to the Tormek and really loving that.
The Pro Edge, I personally do not have experience, but a friend of mine has one and uses it primarily for his skews, since it has a flat grind and is a bit more forgiving when using the skew.
Good luck in your search for the best. I think best is relative to your opinion. Slow speed grinder is just that. SLOW.

John K Jordan
06-14-2017, 1:54 PM
I am venturing into turning and my plane sharpening has not been good. I was looking at the Sorby Pro Edge for a sharpening method for my turning tools. Anyone have an opinion on this machine? I have a Jet slow speed grinder that I could hook up the Wolverine system to, but want the best tool for the job.

Joe,

I looked at the Pro Edge and for the price I couldn't see an advantage. This is from the guy who has been accused of buying at least one of every tool out there. [NOT TRUE! well, mostly...]

I have sharpened on a belt and it works. Woodturning author Mike Darlow prefers that, calling it a "linisher." I prefer a belt for axes and hatchets and use a specialized belt-based knife sharpening machine.

However, I prefer the slightly hollow ground edge from an 8" or 10" wheel for my skews, spindle gouges, and other turning tools. Among other things, the hollow grind lets you easily use a diamond hone to quickly and controllably restore a dull edge several times before resharpening. (I use the little EZE-Lap paddle hones, extra fine)

As mentioned, the CBN wheels along with either the Wolverine/VariGrind or Tormek are wonderful. (BTW, I do not like the VariGrind2 - I like the original better.) I put CBN wheels on all my turning grinders as well as a Tormek. I buy them from Ken Rizza at Woodturners Wonders: https://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/cbn-wheels I prefer those that do NOT have the radised edges. I also buy the version that has grit down 1" of flat on each side. Ken will order these wheels any way you want. The price of the wheels has come down a lot in the last few years.

I like the CBN far better than the stone wheels since they are always balanced, never need dressed, and maintain the same diameter over time.

Most people seem to buy a 180 grit wheels as a compromise. I prefer a finer edge so I've gone to 600 and 1200 grit, but use a coarser wheel for shaping tools. Reshaping a big Thompson scraper can take a long time on a fine wheel!

Here is some info by Reed Grey (robohippy) if you are interested: http://www.robohippy.net/featured-article/

JKJ

Joe Cowan
06-14-2017, 2:56 PM
Thanks John, it makes my head spin getting used to the terms you are throwing around, but that is the learning curve.

carl mesaros
06-14-2017, 3:50 PM
Hi. Joe I know you will probably hear more folks preferring a slow speed grinder with CBN wheels but I happen to own the Sorby Pro edge and love it.
What I like is the 10 second set up time going from different angles. I used the 60 grit to set the profile on all my gouges then switched to a 120. That produces a very nice edge. I use the ceramic belt and have replaced it about once a year. I turn almost everyday and if the CBN set ups are better then they must be something.
I also have the Jet Tormek knockoff with all the attachments. Glad I bought the Jet instead of the Tormek, saved me about $300! The jet is now sitting under the bench gathering dust. I just didn't like the slow water wheel system. You mentioned your just venturing in to turning and tool sharpening takes time to master. The Sorby system is about as easy as it gets.
We all have opinions of whats best, for me it's the Sorby Pro edge system.

Reed Gray
06-14-2017, 6:06 PM
I looked very closely at the Sorby Pro Edge, and didn't get it. Mostly it seemed very expensive, and just didn't appear to be heavy duty enough for me (I did concrete work for 30 or so years and want things way over built...). You can get a good quality slow speed grinder and 2 CBN wheels for less or the same money (unless you go for a new Baldor Grinder), and the wheels will last most people a life time...

robo hippy

Bob Coates
06-14-2017, 6:45 PM
Don't forget to add Reed's platform to your grinder.

John K Jordan
06-14-2017, 6:55 PM
...I also have the Jet Tormek knockoff with all the attachments. Glad I bought the Jet instead of the Tormek, saved me about $300! The jet is now sitting under the bench gathering dust. I just didn't like the slow water wheel system. ...

If you had a Tormek gathering dust I'd offer to buy it but from what I've seen of the Jet and Grizzly knockoffs I'm not interested. I've had a Tormek for about 15 years now, currently with a 1200 grit CBN wheel and I would love to have a second. The Tormek is expensive but I love the jigs and the edge it gives on my spindle gouges, especially when honed/polished with the Tormek leather wheel. I don't use it for skews (I hand sharpen on 600 grit CBN then hone) or for bowl gouges.

But to each his own. I think it is great that we have so many options for sharpening, all of them excellent. (And incredible tools made from 10V and HSS.) Makes ya wonder how the amazing wood turners of a couple of hundred years ago managed. :)

JKJ

Bill Blasic
06-15-2017, 7:03 AM
I use slow speed grinders with CBN wheels. I do have a grinder with stone wheels for roughing in work. Ever since the Vector Grind System by JoHannes Michelsen came out I have used it 95% of the time over the Wolverine. A big advantage is that as long as you have about a half inch of flute left you can still sharpen the tool with the Vector. I swear I will never wear out a tool with the CBN wheels as it takes so little metal off. I have a Tormek but had never used it until Nick Agar made me take it out and he showed me how to use the leather wheels to strop the tool edges. I agree with John K about the Varigrind 2 but for a beginner or if you teach the Sharp Fast Sharpening System safely keeps the gouge in the center of the wheel and gives a nice profile. The big thing with that is my students can sharpen a tool and I don't have to worry that they will hurt themselves. Myself I would always take a slow speed grinder with CBN wheels over a sandpaper machine.

ALAN HOLLAR
06-15-2017, 9:28 AM
The Pro Edge is an excellent system. Compact, with quick belt changes for going from coarse to fine depending on need, fast and repeatable angles for the platform that don't even require turning the machine off, easier to transport so that it can go along for demonstrations, and adaptable to almost any sharpening profile. As for how beefy the construction is, I have used mine for years, and carried it using the platform rest as a handle to at least 50 demonstrations, and it is still going strong.

John Beaver
06-15-2017, 8:33 PM
I have a ProEdge and a slow speed with one CBN wheel and one standard wheel for other metals. They both work well. CBN wheels didn't exist when I bought my Sorby. I like the flat grind vs hollow grind. I like the ease of changing the belts and angles. I bought it because I found it more consistent then the wheels which require dressing and change in diameter. CBN may change some of that. Oh, and it has held up great.

Larry Copas
06-16-2017, 10:30 PM
I've only seen pictures of the Sorby but it appears to be a nice belt grinder with some appliances for wood turners to facilitate sharpening. I had an old Kalmazoo 2 X 48" belt grinder that I modified for sharpening. Added Wolverine/VariGrind clone jigs of my own making. I think it is great. I can switch from a 36 grit belt to a 2,400 trizack belt, or anything in between in less than 10 seconds. I usually sharpen with a $4 180 grit 3M belt that lasts forever. I have no desire for cbn.

I do sharpen skews, and scrapers on a standard grinder with a platform but use my finger for fine adjustment.