PDA

View Full Version : Electric Motor Help

Josh Hulit
06-12-2017, 7:14 PM
Wiring up an old Fairbanks Morse repulsion start motor on my jointer. 3hp single phase. Runs smooth but I need to reverse the rotation and can't figure it out. Says to remove brush holder screws and rotate to the next notch. Tried rotating the brushes a 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn, 3/4 turn, no luck. Any ideas? Thanks.

Don Jarvie
06-12-2017, 7:46 PM
Clean the area where the notch was and look for another one close by and rotate the part so it lines up. It's probably 1/4 away but it's there. It's kind of hard to see but look. That will reverse it.

If you can't find it post a few more pictures so we can check it out.

Josh Hulit
06-13-2017, 8:52 AM
Thanks Don, I got a little better picture of the brush setup. I've been rotating 90 degrees at a time, maybe a 45 degree rotation instead?

Also, should I use some 3 in 1 oil to clean things up?

Josh Hulit
06-13-2017, 1:23 PM
Got it Don. Went 1/8 rotation instead of 1/4 and it reversed. Thanks for getting me thinking along the right line.

Darcy Warner
06-13-2017, 1:33 PM
The rotation to reverse isn't very much like you figured out.

Charlie Plunkett
06-13-2017, 4:05 PM
had to get my books out on this one , it's been a while since I worked on them , it's 15 Degrees either direction from standard neutral, to reverse ,it is necessary to move the brush holder about 30 degrees in the opposite direction to which the armature is rotating.
When correct direction is found, move brush holder slightly toward neutral until point of maximum starting torque is found.Usually the proper settings are marked on the endbells

Josh Hulit
06-13-2017, 8:44 PM
Thanks again for all the help. Charlie, sounds like I could still have some fine tuning to do adjusting the brushes/holder. Where did you get the info from? I'd like to get my hands on a manual or some literature regarding the motor setup. I'll take another look at the endbell, couldn't see any clear markings, but the thing is pretty old and worn.

Charlie Plunkett
06-13-2017, 9:01 PM
These books are called western's motor maintenance , this is in volume 1, this book I got in August 1, 1978.I worked in electric motors shops from 1976-1999

Josh Hulit
06-13-2017, 9:19 PM
Thanks again Charlie, sounds like you know your way around a motor.

Charlie Plunkett
06-13-2017, 9:31 PM
I been around a few motors , some that would fit in the palm of your hand and up to 750 hp, but it has been a long time since I did that kind of work, my last job was in manufaturing plants in machine maintenance .
now i just care of ppl's summer homes when they are not here. I still have my books for referance though.