PDA

View Full Version : New marking gauge

Brent Cutshall
06-12-2017, 5:34 PM
I've been needing a marking gauge for a while now. I've been having to use the old "pencil at the end of a combination square" trick all the way down the edge of boards. I turned the dowel out of oak on the lathe.
It accepts a cutter in one end, and by cutter I mean a grinded down jig saw blade(thank you grinder lathe attachment!).
In the other end, it can use a pencil for grainy, knotty wood.
I made the housing(or whatever it's called) out of oak too. I inset a wooden V-shaped bite block into the top of the mouth so it doesn't leave any marks on the dowel. I don't know if you can see it in the picture but it's there alright. I plated the face with a plate of iron that was leftover from when I made two-man saw handle brackets. The treadle grinder helped with shaping this too
And it marks clean and clear.
It'll do.

Jim Koepke
06-12-2017, 7:44 PM
Nice gauge Brent.

Soon you will find a reason to need a few more.

jtk

David Eisenhauer
06-12-2017, 7:53 PM
Very nice. You took a couple extra steps that I may have not thought of.

Brent Cutshall
06-12-2017, 8:58 PM
My favorite thing to make is tools and jigs. Now that I've made a lathe, marking gauge, and a T-bevel(not shown), my shop made tool collection is almost complete. But now I'm a little bored outside of regular orders, I don't know what to make now.:D Maybe a pencil divider.

bridger berdel
06-12-2017, 11:57 PM
Go ahead. Make a plane.

Bet you cant make just one.....

Derek Cohen
06-13-2017, 6:07 AM
My favorite thing to make is tools and jigs. Now that I've made a lathe, marking gauge, and a T-bevel(not shown), my shop made tool collection is almost complete. But now I'm a little bored outside of regular orders, I don't know what to make now...

Furniture? :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brent Cutshall
06-13-2017, 6:30 AM
Go ahead. Make a plane.

Bet you cant make just one.....
Been there, doing that. You're right, I just can't quit. I keep finding something I don't like about one I've made and have to make a new one. I think we all need a rope on that slope.:rolleyes:

lowell holmes
06-13-2017, 9:28 AM
Derek posted a cutting gauge years ago.I made one and use it as a marking gauge on occasions.
I made one and use it as a marking gauge on occasions.
Maybe Derek will post it again you those that have not seen it.

I can't believe you missed this article either.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/0612_Marking_Gauge.pdf