PDA

View Full Version : Now here's a really cool gloat.....

Terry Hatfield
06-22-2003, 9:18 PM
Outside temp. today...92 deg. Check the pic for the shop temp.......

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

All that new insulation I put in over the winter works really well in the summer too.

Terry

Ron Jones near Indy
06-22-2003, 9:39 PM
Makes things much easier doesn't it? :D

Terry Hatfield
06-22-2003, 9:50 PM
Makes things much easier doesn't it? :D
Ron,

Yup...I can get more done when I don't spend half the day wiping sweat drops off cast iron.

I scavenged a big window unit out of my Mom's storage, got a HVAC buddy to tune her up and mounted it in the wall. What a difference!!

Terry

Anthony Yakonick
06-22-2003, 10:00 PM
Last year we had central air installed and my shop is in the basement, I can get it to 60deg when its in the 90deg plus range out side. Even if I don't open the vent it's in the 70s.

Bob Wilkerson
06-22-2003, 10:04 PM
All that new insulation I put in over the winter works really well in the summer too.
Terry
Shall I say it? COOL!!!
Can't wait to do something like that to my shop. I've done the insulation routine already but haven't added heat or cooling yet. With a bit of luck I might get both in this summer. My son's working for an HVAC contractor and is looking for a pulled heat pump that we could install. The owner said that a couple of times a year they'll get a request to install a new system with greater capacity than the old one even when the old one is almost new. So I'm waiting around with hope that one shows up before it gets too hot in Richmond.

I'm sure that you're enjoying the comfort that A/C brings......

Bob

Lloyd Brown
06-22-2003, 10:07 PM
My shop was 64 degrees today and it was 85 outside, and I have no A/c. That concret floor and R-39 insalation is good for one thing :D it will be 90 later this week , we will see what happens then???

Keith Outten
06-22-2003, 11:02 PM
I'm with ya on this one Terry. Ten years ago when I built my shop the second floor was a an apartment we setup for my Dad. Since we installed a heat pump and the main hvac trunk ran the length of the shop just above the doors I installed 3 vents for the shop. Most of the time I keep the vents shut and there is enough leakage to keep my shop very comfortable winter and summer. When the dog days of summer arrive I open two vents to keep the shop as comfortable as the house. Several years ago my Dad moved, the apartment is now my shop office with all the comforts.

Life's simple pleasures are the best.

John Lucas
06-22-2003, 11:02 PM
I spent my last uncomfortable summer in the shop last year. Now is is heated and ac'd and I am spoiled silly. I have plenty of pictures with the big temp dial in the background was registering mid-90's and I had lights on for pictures. No more.

David Rose
06-23-2003, 12:06 AM
on mine last week. We couldn't go too high on the R-factor because of all the stuff we store up there, but we got 8" bats in. The temps are MUCH better!

David

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-23-2003, 7:55 AM
Good for you.

When I came in yesterday afternoon at around 5:00 it was 94 degrees in the shop. For the first time in a couple years I went back out at about 8:30 to glue the 'next step' of the nitestands. It was 99 in there. I suppose a due-west exposure and no tree cover has something to do with it...

KC

Robert Goodwin
06-23-2003, 1:07 PM
Have any of you that have the shop in the garage insulated the garage door. It looks like it should be easy to do, but did not know if that would put too much strain on the garage door opener.

It gets pretty hot in the garage in the summer 100-110, and it seems to be coming mostly from the thin sheet metal garage doors.

Rob – Sweating in the desert.

Ron Meadows
06-23-2003, 2:00 PM
I haven't applied insulation to my garage doors, but the doors themselves are insulated. They face directly toward the mid day sun and stay cool to the touch. Something must be working. I have a little window unit that I run and it will cool my 24X30 shop down to 70 in about 10 minutes. With the outside temp running in the low 90's my shop stays around 76 with no help. Good insulation and a room upstairs make a huge difference IMO

Ron

Dave Anderson NH
06-23-2003, 2:54 PM
My basement shop has double windows on each side of the front knee wall and one window on one end wall. I use a dehumidifier to keep the shop at 40% RH during humid times, but a dehumidifier puts out hot air into the shop and can make a summer cellar 80F. I finally installed an AC in the side window which cools and dehumidifies at about the same operating cost as the dehumidifier. AC in hot weather--Dehumidifier when it's cooler. Works for me.

Bart Leetch
06-23-2003, 3:27 PM
[QUOTE=Terry Hatfield]Ron,

"Yup...I can get more done when I don't spend half the day wiping sweat drops off cast iron."

Gee-sh Terry if you head sweats that bad you should take your hat off & let the poor thing cool off..

He He He I just couldn't resist.

Terry Hatfield
06-23-2003, 7:19 PM
Rob,

That was one thing I did last winter along with having 24" blown in the attic. I bought garage door insulation kits from the supplier I got my garage doors from. The kits are made the correct width to fit inside the individual panels very tightly and you only have to cut them to length. They actually squeeze the seams between the panels together very tightly to keep air from passing through.

They are pieces of styrofoam with kerfs on the back side so you can bend them and a laminated paper covering. Very light, easy to keep clean and easy to install. You can cut them with a utility knife. They ran about $90 per door for my 8X9 doors. They simply slide inside the back of the door panels. No gluing or fasteners at all except for a small L shaped plastic piece that keeps them snug in the middle.

Last summer the south facing door would get so hot you could not put your hand on it for more than a few seconds. They are nice and cool now. I believe it was a really good investment. Looks really nice also.

Here is a pic that shows the insulated doors pretty well.

Terry

Dennis Peacock
06-23-2003, 8:28 PM
last year was the last summer I have to DRIVE to and from work in the summer heat!!!! I bought a new car last year that had the following luxuries:

4 windows that would roll down AND up.
1 heater that actually heats the car in the winter without smelling like antifreeze.
1 Air Conditioner that cools the car in the summer heat instead of blow HOT air from the HOT vents.
4 doors that actually OPEN and CLOSE without having to pick up any of the doors to get them closed.
1 new car that the body work looks great and shinny as opposed to the grey "rolling golf ball" I drove before...(car made it through 3 tornado's in Alabama and 4 hail storms...the last hail storm did the damage, baseball size hail did it in.)
A working radio and CD player with REAL speakers
A trunk that doesn't fill with water each time it rains

And the list could go on.....my old car was a Nissan Sentra with 268,000 miles, mechanicals were still very good and used no oil and was bought brand new in August 1986 and drove it until August 2002.....

Now.....gotta get some A/C in the shop......

Steve King
06-23-2003, 10:28 PM
I have been hanging around here and Wood Central and thought I would make my first post.
I saw Terry's post about his new A/C unit and I just could not hold back my new gloat. I just installed my A/C and just love it!
Steve King in Plano TX.

Shop A/C Installed! (http://home.attbi.com/~sekingusa/ShopAc.htm)

Terry Hatfield
06-23-2003, 11:38 PM
I have been hanging around here and Wood Central and thought I would make my first post.
I saw Terry's post about his new A/C unit and I just could not hold back my new gloat. I just installed my A/C and just love it!
Steve King in Plano TX.

Shop A/C Installed! (http://home.attbi.com/~sekingusa/ShopAc.htm)

Steve,

Welcome!!!! Glad to see you post.

Terry

Oh ya....nice A/C :D

David Rose
06-24-2003, 1:27 AM
Have any of you that have the shop in the garage insulated the garage door. It looks like it should be easy to do, but did not know if that would put too much strain on the garage door opener.

It gets pretty hot in the garage in the summer 100-110, and it seems to be coming mostly from the thin sheet metal garage doors.

Rob – Sweating in the desert.

If I had it to do again, I would go Terry's route with the commercial stuff just for ease and better insulation. I cut up sheets where they would slide up then down into the slots and hold. My doors took two sheet thickness for a tight fit. But the airspace above and below each "block" is not filled. It did help a lot.

David