PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy Lesson: The Heavy Duty Spindle Quill Shaft.

Dev Emch
10-23-2005, 10:07 PM
For Bill S. and others. What makes a modern, super duty shaper super duty? Well, that would be its internal spindle quill shaft. These are really quite simple inside. The first photo I am posting shows the shaft I took out of my hofmann shaper when I modified it to run on HSK spindles. This shaft still contains the top bearing and bearing preload plate. It also contains the lid for the quill. This lid holds the outer race for the bearings and bolts to the quill body. The lower bearing did not need to be replaced. The top one did as the HSK system is a bit wider than the MK system which is based on the morse taper.

The second photo shows a shot down the main taper. This is a #5 morse taper socket and it holds the morse taper of the spindle. Thats it.

The third photo shows the jesus nut. This nut has two sets of threads which are different TPI. One thread threads onto the collor of the spindle and the other thread threads onto the male outer threads of the spindle quill shaft. Its a very good system and its bi-directional.

This is the preferred way of doing this and the simple way. There is another way in which the spindle is hollow and a drawnut sits in the socket of the spindle quill shaft. This is the HSK system. Here, I slide a T wrench down the hole and release the drawnut. You can change out a spindle in about 5 seconds. The fourth photo shows a down the bore shot of what the HSK spindle quill shaft socket looks like. The 5th and last photo shows an HSK spindle with an adjustable groover onboard.

Hope this anatomy lesson is of help in understanding how these things work inside.

Dan Oliphant
10-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Um, photos would be nice sir.