PDA

View Full Version : Against Malaria? (the charity)

Frederick Skelly
06-11-2017, 3:57 PM
I was listening to a show and the speaker highly recommended a charity called Against Malaria. I went to their website and it sounds like they are doing good things.

Anyone donated to these guys? Anyone know anything good or bad about them?

Fred

roger wiegand
06-12-2017, 7:50 AM
Very reputable, very effective organization. They distribute insecticide treated bed nets to kids in Africa, one of the most effective measures to combat early childhood death from malaria. While the Gates Foundation efforts to combat malaria have been remarkably successful, reducing death rates 4-6 fold over the last couple of decades, hundreds of thousands of kids under five still die from it. Malaria is entirely preventable and treatable, which makes this number all the more shocking to me.

(I spent about 10 years working on malaria drug development and understanding drug resistance, so know most of the players pretty well. A US based group, Nothing but Nets, was also quite good in their approach to funding bed net distribution through involving kids and sports figures.)

Bob Vavricka
06-12-2017, 2:24 PM
I'm not familiar with this organization. I tend to check out charities on charitynavigator.org to evaluate before donating.