PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Free HD TV

Raymond Fries
06-10-2017, 6:45 PM
Cut the cord months ago.

I have sharper picture than with cable but getting some random pixelation on various channels. I am only eight miles from the furthest tower. When there is pixelation, it happens on both TV's at the same time. We got pixelation when we had cable too.

Here is what I have done:
Made my own antenna. I bought one of those flat mat types and mine works just as well so I returned it. My antenna has one of those converters that goes from flat two prong wire to coax.
The antenna is at one end of the attic just inside of the gable vent and a 50' quad shielded cable runs to the other. end of the attic and connects to a splitter.

A cable runs from the splitter to a channel master amplifier.
One TV performs better with the amplifier.
The second TV has a cable connected directly to the splitter. This TV got worse connected to the amplifier.

All connections are tight.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Roger Nair
06-10-2017, 7:09 PM
I live in a fringe area, so what I write maybe incorrect for your situation. My understanding of the topology is antenna directly to balun, short 75 ohm lead to amplifier, long unspliced lead to distribution box or splitter and then to separate appliances. I have two stereo radio receivers and two tvs, all with a direct run from an amplified distribution box. The logic is to get amplification as close to the antenna as possible and feed to distribution that is central to the devices.

Roger Nair
06-10-2017, 7:14 PM
Another point of view could be to run both tvs off the amplifier but turn the gain down on the amp until the problem tv comes in, then check if the other set tunes in.

Todd Willhoit
06-10-2017, 11:35 PM
Keep in mind that you might hace 50% signal loss through your roof. Your antenna, compatible as it may or may not be to a flat mat type, may not be enough. I have a second hand 100 mile range antenna with a broken element or two in my attic. I live 15 miles from the local antenna cluster and have absolutely zero pixelation. Winegard or Channelmaster hace some good products.

Have you confirmed that your antenna is pointed in the proper direction? Antennaweb can help with positioning.

Kev Williams
06-11-2017, 6:39 PM
Echo Todd ^^^

I'm just using the old Radio Shack antenna that's been on the roof since the '70's, brings in DTV like gangbusters...

However, I get pixelation once in awhile. However part II, airplanes on track for the airport fly right between me and the broadcast antenna's on the mountaintop 30 miles away. I'm of the opinion that flocks of birds and certain weather conditions can affect the signal. As for amplifiers, I too have found that some of my TV's don't like them, some do...

Raymond Fries
06-11-2017, 7:57 PM
Thinking about maybe getting a better antenna. The homemade antenna performes as well as the one I bought but I find it hard to believe that it can match all on the market. Any suggestions for a good performer?

Thanks

Roger Nair
06-11-2017, 11:44 PM
In post #4, antennaweb was suggested and I concur. You can plug in your address and you will receive charts that analyze terrain info and tower locations to give very helpful suggestions on the rating system for the various available antennas. Since the OP puts you close in, you maybe able to get away with a simple Omni-directional antenna. I am cursed with two blocking ridge lines and blessed with one mountain gap, so I need amps, tower, rotor and a powered distribution box to get the job done. My antenna is about 35 years old and came from Radio Shack. I would steer clear of miracle antennas advertised on the internet and stick with Channel Master or Winegard. So don't fall for digital antenna marketing hype.

Matt Meiser
06-12-2017, 8:57 AM
Antenna requirements vary heavily by location and aiming definitely matters. Especially if you are mounting in your attic where things can be a bit disorienting, get a compass or a compass app and double check. My guess was off several degrees from optimal and it made a huge difference.

Lee Schierer
06-12-2017, 12:09 PM
The antenna is at one end of the attic just inside of the gable vent and a 50' quad shielded cable runs to the other. end of the attic and connects to a splitter.

A cable runs from the splitter to a channel master amplifier.
One TV performs better with the amplifier.
The second TV has a cable connected directly to the splitter. This TV got worse connected to the amplifier.

All connections are tight.

Any suggestions on what to try next?
Check your splitter, some splitters don't divide the signal equally. One leg may have 60% and the other may have 40% of the original signal strength. If there are more terminals on the splitter that don't have a cable, they should be capped, or better yet change to just a two way splitter.

Pixellation can be caused by lightning, rain, aircraft in the signal path, trees moving, antenna motion, etc.

Jerome Stanek
06-12-2017, 12:16 PM
With digital it either works or doesn't moisture plays a big part in reception.

Raymond Fries
06-12-2017, 9:57 PM
Good ideas guys.

Lee - How would I check the splitter for signal distribution? This is my second splitter. I changed only to see if the other one was bad. This one does work better so maybe it is like you said with the distribution on the signal. They were out of two port splitters so I got a four port. So is a four port splitter with two connections somehow less efficient than a two port splitter with both tv's attached?

Matt - Compass is an excellent. Right now it is pointing southwest but could be off.

I did do the antennaweb. Since all towers are within 1/2 mile. of each other that shouldhelp me.

Would reducing the total length of cable help? The 50' cable goes maybe 20' beyond the drop for one tv. Then the cable from the splitter goes back to thetv. Would removing 40 to 50 feet of cable matter?

Would one of these help me?

https://www.amazon.com/Gigahertz-Low-Loss-Splitters-Satellite-MKII/dp/B000Y97Q86/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1497320528&sr=1-1&keywords=monster+coaxial+splitter

Todd Willhoit
06-12-2017, 11:57 PM
Your best bet is to start here: https://www.antennaweb.org/. You can buy a lot of antenna for $50, or get one for free from someone who doesn't need theirs.

You may believe that your home made antenna is comparable, but unless you have instruments to test it, you can't make that claim.

Splitters are fine, but you need to understand that they are another source of signal loss. Read more here: https://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/articles/200383715-How-Much-Signal-Do-I-Lose-Going-Through-A-Splitter-

You may also need a preamplifier at the antenna or a distribution amplifier elsewhere. Make sure your connectors are high quality and that your crimping tool does a proper job.

Matt Meiser
06-13-2017, 9:06 AM
This is the distribution amp I'm using. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002M1EPL0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a 4 port one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EKCGT8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) we bought then decided we needed a 5th TV (because 4 isn't enough for 3 people) you can have if you want to pay for shipping.

Bruce Wrenn
06-13-2017, 8:44 PM
Have you tried the worlds cheapest HD antenna? It's a short length of co-ax, with connector on one end, and the other end has six inches of center conductor exposed. Try to orient it vertically, and as high as possible. With this set up, I can get most of the local stations, with the exception of two, one of which is still on VHF. Most of the transmitters are over 35 miles away, but over flat terrain. However, we live in a pine forest with 125' tall trees, so wind works both on co-ax antenna, as well as outside antenna.

Raymond Fries
06-13-2017, 9:21 PM
This is the distribution amp I'm using. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002M1EPL0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a 4 port one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EKCGT8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) we bought then decided we needed a 5th TV (because 4 isn't enough for 3 people) you can have if you want to pay for shipping.

Thanks for the offer Matt. I have the two port Channel Master distribution amplifier. I will keep your generous offer in mind should the two of us decide we need three tv's. LOL. We never seem to have enough.

I tried orienting the antenna today with a compass. I was off by 10 degrees. Still got a couple flashes of pixelation during the day. I went to Lowe's today and bought a Clearstream 2V today and replaced the homemade one. It has good reviews and is made for HDTV. Will see how it goes. Still have some opportunities for moving things around and shortening cables.

Raymond Fries
06-13-2017, 9:24 PM
Amazing Bruce. Never heard. of it. Would have tried it had I not just bought one. Maybe someone else can benefit though.

mark r johnson
06-15-2017, 3:10 PM
I would also suggest some of the following.

1) Make sure ALL of your coax is RG-6.
2) Make sure your splitter is rated at 2k+ Mhz.
3) Your distribution amp is of no value if it does not have a strong signal at it's input. A pre-amp located at the antenna could solve that issue, but I would suggest a yagi antenna with a 30 mile range. They are $30 at several sources.

Sorry, not a fan of flat panels.