PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to burn a line in a platter?

Dave Mcintire
06-10-2017, 1:18 PM
The post title says it. I am familiar with wire burning on a spindle. But haven,t figured out how to burn a line onthe face of a disk or platter? Any help?

since I,m making a post I attached a pic of a bowl from a board project I make from scraps.

William C Rogers
06-10-2017, 1:56 PM
You can get one of those Formica samples and that will burn. I'm sure there are other ways.

Your bowl looks nice. I keep thinking one day I will glue up my scraps.

daryl moses
06-10-2017, 2:00 PM
You can get one of those Formica samples and that will burn.
Yep, that's the way I do it as well, works like a charm!

Dave Fritz
06-10-2017, 2:45 PM
Cut a narrow groove where you want the burn line, then do as suggested above. I've found some thickness of samples work better than others.

Reed Gray
06-10-2017, 3:01 PM
I have been doing it in wet wood as well. Takes a little more pressure and a bit more time, but still works.

robo hippy

terry mccammon
06-11-2017, 10:31 AM
I have a lot of scraps of oak for some reason or other and no Formica, so I sharpen the edge of a oak scrap and use it. Works a treat.

Thomas Canfield
06-11-2017, 9:22 PM
A word of caution. Going back on the rim after the platter is turned can lead to a non uniform cut/burn due to the strength of the rim with pressure. I have seen problems trying to go back on outside of a turned bowl and trying to cut a decorative grove and the depth was not uniform due to the strength of the side wall. You might want to do the decorative work while still having a thick core to support the rim if much pressure is required.

Brice Rogers
06-11-2017, 11:26 PM
Thomas Canfield's advice is good. I use formica samples (free at Lowes and Home Despot) but sometimes the lines vary in width (probably end grain versus side grain or harder/softer areas). I have "faked" the burn line by using a really sharp tool with a v or diamond shape, etc. to make the groove and then used a dark brown sharpie to color it in uniformly.

Bill Jobe
06-12-2017, 9:24 PM
A piece of very fine sandpaper folded 3 or 4 times works. I discovered that by accident......

Jack Lilley
06-15-2017, 5:57 PM
I do basket weave platters and use paper card stock to burn the radial lines. The lathe needs to be turning 2,000 or so rpm's and it will do a nice job.