PDA

View Full Version : Convert Silhouette Studio files to Corel draw

Brian Cannon
06-10-2017, 1:06 PM
I have recently purchased an Epilog 120w laser. I have been using a Silhouette Cameo for quite some time to do designs that we cut vinyl templates and use them to etch on different materials. I have many designs that I would like to convert from Silhouette studio files to use in Corel draw for cutting and etching on the laser. I prefer not to have to redraw all of the designs in Corel. I cannot find a way to convert them in a simple manner as of yet. I need them in a file type such as dxf to be able to raster them. I was able to print one to PDF and then open it in Corel. It didn't trace very well. I am a new user in the Corel world and the laser world. I've searched on the internet, but haven't found a simple solution. Can anyone offer a solution?

Bert Kemp
06-10-2017, 1:09 PM
what is the file format your using now.

I have recently purchased an Epilog 120w laser. I have been using a Silhouette Cameo for quite some time to do designs that we cut vinyl templates and use them to etch on different materials. I have many designs that I would like to convert from Silhouette studio files to use in Corel draw for cutting and etching on the laser. I prefer not to have to redraw all of the designs in Corel. I cannot find a way to convert them in a simple manner as of yet. I need them in a file type such as dxf to be able to raster them. I was able to print one to PDF and then open it in Corel. It didn't trace very well. I am a new user in the Corel world and the laser world. I've searched on the internet, but haven't found a simple solution. Can anyone offer a solution?

Brian Cannon
06-10-2017, 1:35 PM
Silhouette has it's own file type. They are called .studio3 files.

Bill George
06-10-2017, 1:43 PM
Silhouette has it's own file type. They are called .studio3 files.

It has no Export file settings? Corel will Import a number of files in the correct version, DWG, DWX, AI and a lot more.
My VinylMaster (which is great) software will let me Export to just about any Graphics format.

Ok here is a round about way to get graphic files out and I will try to edit so its not a Hot link

Do a search for www.cuttingforbusiness.com Then look for How to Save as .png, .jpg, or .pdf from Silhouette Studio

Bert Kemp
06-10-2017, 2:07 PM
also this may work
http://www.silhouetteschoolblog.com/2015/02/how-to-convert-studio-files-to-svg.html

Glen Monaghan
06-10-2017, 2:27 PM
I have many designs that I would like to convert from Silhouette studio files to use in Corel draw for cutting and etching on the laser. I prefer not to have to redraw all of the designs in Corel. I cannot find a way to convert them in a simple manner as of yet. I need them in a file type such as dxf to be able to raster them. I was able to print one to PDF and then open it in Corel. It didn't trace very well.

You don't need to trace the design for rastering, you can use the bitmap from the pdf for that. But yes, for cutting, you will want a vector format. You didn't provide an example of the design that didn't trace well for you so not able to address that directly but you may just need to export at higher resolution or tweak your tracing parameters. There are many tutorials on the general process of exporting a bitmap (PDF, JPG, PNG) from Silhouette and then tracing to create vectors. Many of those tutorials employ Inkscape to do the tracing; some tracing routines do better than others so you might try the tracing in Inkscape, AI, or similar if you just can't get it working satisfactorily in CD.

Alternatively, it appears that the older v1.9 of Silhouette actually has SVG (scalable vector graphics) output so you might look for an copy of that.

Tony Lenkic
06-10-2017, 2:44 PM
If you can save your file in a vector format and it looks good and sharp you do not need to trace it in Corel.
Open PDF or SVG format in Corel and select object than go to color pallet and click on black. This will fill your object for raster engraving using Epilog print driver. For cutting shapes with Epilog use non filled image and correct color outline that print driver recognizes.

Kev Williams
06-10-2017, 8:06 PM
Some 'save as PDF' options in graphics programs save screenshots as bitmaps, which is probably how your program is doing it... Phooey on that :D what you need is a separate PDF converter...

I use a print-to-PDF program called CC PDF Converter. It's free, and will convert virtually ANYthing you can print to a printer, to PDF.

When you install it, it simply becomes one of your "printers".

The neat thing about it is, if your program outputs via a print driver, or CAN output to a normal printer, it will (or should) output your vector files as vector files, and you can import them into Corel no problem.

This even works creating PDF's from Gravostyle, which I didn't expect. In some cases (and I'm not sure why) you may have to resize your work area to 8-1/2x11 paper size... I do from Gravostyle, but not from Corel. Regardless, size doesn't matter, just change it after you've imported it!

To show you it works, here's a screenshot of my Gravostyle, with some lettering I vinyl cut for my nephew last night.
The top line is text I created in Corel (didn't have this font on the Gravo computer) and imported into Gravo.
The text below it I added just to make sure this works, it's Gravostyle text NOT changed to curves, highlighted in gray (grouped for text editing)...

Normally to engrave or laser this in Gravo you have a "machining" option. But there's also a print-to-printer option, which I used.
Note the printer chosen is CC PDF Converter. When you hit "print", you will be asked to give the PDF file a name-
I named this file 1.pdf (my default 're-usable' name ;) )
After you've named it, PDF reader will open and the file will appear to make sure it's okay. Then you close it...

This is is the actual file >> 361782 << -- download it, save it, then import it into your Corel. You'll find it's in pure vector form that you can vector, paint & raster, whatever you want, ready to go, no tracing needed :)

Note that there may be a partial page border and "100.00%" printed at the bottom, which is just extraneous stuff Gravostyle adds when you print something. It's part of the vector art, just erase it!

There's other PDF converters, I'm sure they'll work the same way. I've used this one for years with no problems. And it's always worked great for vector transferring...

Lee DeRaud
06-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Some 'save as PDF' options in graphics programs save screenshots as bitmaps, which is probably how your program is doing it... Phooey on that :D what you need is a separate PDF converter...Can't he just print it from the original program with the PDF driver that comes with Corel?

Kev Williams
06-14-2017, 3:25 PM
Can't he just print it from the original program with the PDF driver that comes with Corel?

Yes, but I suspect since Silhouette Cameo charges you to download their vector files, they probably don't want everyone just passing them around for free...which means their 'save to PDF' feature may save only a bitmap version of the files-- suitable for printing to paper or as proofs to show customers but not usable with other plotters. Since the OP mentions he needs them as a dxf, it means Silhouette Cameo won't export to dxf either, just another safeguard against passing around their vector files...

The program I use may or may not save those files as vectors with that program, I just know it works with all mine! :)