PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for a narrow inset cabinet

Dan Hahr
06-09-2017, 10:53 PM
Hi, all. I'm finishing up my kitchen cabinets for my new house and I am in need of some ideas for filling one 12" wide upper cabinet. I was planning on doing a spice rack pull out and probably will, but the design limits its usefulness. In order to make the heights of each cabinet variable, I placed this cabinet between a corner cabinet and a larger 15" deep cabinet. It is 12" deep and wide, with a 1.5" face frame, netting a 9" opening. It is also an inset cabinet. So, to get the rack out even close to the front of the other cabinets, it will need to "overtravel" three inches. The longest I can find that will fit are 10" slides and they only extend 1.5 inches beyond the front.

Is anyone aware of a product that would make this pull out extend to a useful position? Also, I'd like to hide the slides. I've never done it before, but can I reverse the slides and put them on the inside of the base of the pull out? I assume that I need the same ones at the top to keep it stable, but I've seen some with center mounted slides.

It's a terrible photo, but the cabinet I'm referring to is the one to the left of the corner. I am open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks, Dan

Bill Dufour
06-10-2017, 12:16 AM
I might use it to store sheet pans or pot lids on a pull out. How is the cook supposed to reach up there to get spices off the top shelves? Maybe rolls of foil and paper.
B ill

Jared Sankovich
06-10-2017, 6:43 AM
Can't help with the extra overtravel, but yes it's easy to hide the slides.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/jar944/rps20150728_134709_903_zpsc9m0mf1v.jpg

Martin Wasner
06-10-2017, 7:00 AM
Cut a hole in the back of the cabinet/rock. Buy longer slides that go into the stud cavity. Ta-da, and extra 4" of slide travel

Dave Richards
06-10-2017, 7:46 AM
Slightly OT.

Some years ago I built a couple of narrow cabinets (a base and an upper) to match some that a friend installed in his kitchen. We decided the opening in the face frame would be too narrow to make a useful space and if something fell off the slide out rack, it could jam up the works so I attached the door to the face frame and to the slide outs. The bottom one for flat pans and the upper for a spice cabinet. This gave the full interior width for the opening.

Jim Becker
06-10-2017, 9:36 AM
Cut a hole in the back of the cabinet/rock. Buy longer slides that go into the stud cavity. Ta-da, and extra 4" of slide travel

This is a very workable idea in many situations, depending on stud placement in the wall. Additionally, see if you can find slides that are "compound" relative to full extension.

Dan Hahr
06-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Definitely some good ideas. I may just cut the holes in the back and go with it. That would give me plenty of room.

Jared, what kind of slide do you have on the top of those cabinets?

Thanks, Dan

Dave Sabo
06-10-2017, 10:59 AM
I'd make that a RH door cabinet now. I think your fighting too much in order to make it work and I doubt it's usefulness if you do work it out. But then, if it you like it - go for it. It's your kitchen.

Im curious why you only raised the base cabs 3/4" off of the the floor ?

Martin Wasner
06-10-2017, 11:08 AM
This is a very workable idea in many situations, depending on stud placement in the wall. Additionally, see if you can find slides that are "compound" relative to full extension.

If it's not carrying any weight just notch or cut the stud. Interior non-load bearing walls are just holding up pictures, paint and sheet rock anyways.

I mount slides on just once face top and bottom. They seem to run smoother. Bigger pullouts I'll use the 500# KV slides. There's a 200# version I use on smaller units.

Jared Sankovich
06-10-2017, 11:51 AM
Definitely some good ideas. I may just cut the holes in the back and go with it. That would give me plenty of room.

Jared, what kind of slide do you have on the top of those cabinets?

Thanks, Dan

Its just a single matching slide on top mounted flat.

I'd go with Martin's idea and cut into the wall, I'm filing it away for future use myself.