PDA

View Full Version : I just finished this credenza for a friend

Kurt Owens
06-09-2017, 6:18 PM
I'm not sure how it started but I offered to build this for my friend's wife (he provided the material.) The top is ash and the base is poplar. It is 8' long, 2' wide and 35" tall. Everything about it was done using hand tools. Milling, dimensioning, joinery, etc... I kept meticulous notes on time and process; at the end I put 72 hours into it.

I had never worked on anything this large before. My bench is actually only 5' long so I had to be creative sometimes. All rails are tenoned into the legs - 22 individual M&T were cut. The v-groove panels are floating (that X is just cosmetic because the liked the style). This had been consuming every precious moment of shop time I could get, but now that it is finished I almost miss working on it. :confused:

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with you. Hope you enjoy it!

David Eisenhauer
06-09-2017, 7:05 PM
Thanks for sharing. Is the black stuff barn door style rolling rails?

lowell holmes
06-09-2017, 7:22 PM
I'm impressed with the concept, design, and execution. You did good.

Kurt Owens
06-09-2017, 7:32 PM
Yeah. I made it from flat aluminum bar stock and pulley wheels

Jim Koepke
06-09-2017, 8:02 PM
Nice work, thanks for sharing.

jtk

Ron Brese
06-09-2017, 8:03 PM
clean concise work, you should be proud,

Ron

Frederick Skelly
06-09-2017, 8:14 PM
That's a nice credenza. Did you spray it or brush it? Was the barn door hardware easy to work with?
Fred

Kurt Owens
06-09-2017, 10:32 PM
That's a nice credenza. Did you spray it or brush it? Was the barn door hardware easy to work with?
Fred

Thanks! I brushed on 4 coats of white milk paint and then 3 coats of polycrylic. It looks sprayed though. My wife is my toughest critic and can't find a brush mark on it :) The top is stained, shellacked and waxed.

The hardware was fine. I bought aluminum bar stock and just drilled holes in it for mounting. The wheels are plastic pullies. I can't post a close-up if you want one

Bill Houghton
06-09-2017, 10:46 PM
Clever design.

Stew Denton
06-09-2017, 11:02 PM
Kurt,

Very nice work. One more "Ya Did Good!" The lines are extremely clean, one more "Thank you for sharing." The barn door railing and rollers are especially cool, and especially so now that you made them from parts! Very cool!

Stew

Christopher Charles
06-10-2017, 1:18 AM
You are clearly a fine friend! And that's a fun and clever design.

John Kananis
06-10-2017, 1:56 AM
Really cool piece and the finish looks really nice (you're a good friend). Also, I love the barn-style doors. Question: Where is that center shelf supported? Is it at the edge of the door (can't see in pictures)? Thanks for posting.

Kees Heiden
06-10-2017, 3:46 AM
I like it too, wouldn't look too much out of place in my home either.
Good work on the hardware too.

Nicholas Lawrence
06-10-2017, 5:54 AM
Welcome aboard. I like the piece a lot. Simple. Not pretentious. Well executed. Well done.

Kurt Owens
06-10-2017, 8:58 AM
Really cool piece and the finish looks really nice (you're a good friend). Also, I love the barn-style doors. Question: Where is that center shelf supported? Is it at the edge of the door (can't see in pictures)? Thanks for posting.

It is supported on both ends as well as 3 points along the middle.

See the vertical support on the back? It doubles as a shelf support and vertical support for the top. There are two more at the edge of each door in the front, but they are positioned in such a way that the door will always cover them.

Pat Barry
06-10-2017, 12:19 PM
I'm not sure how it started but I offered to build this for my friend's wife (he provided the material.) The top is ash and the base is poplar. It is 8' long, 2' wide and 35" tall. Everything about it was done using hand tools. Milling, dimensioning, joinery, etc... I kept meticulous notes on time and process; at the end I put 72 hours into it.

I had never worked on anything this large before. My bench is actually only 5' long so I had to be creative sometimes. All rails are tenoned into the legs - 22 individual M&T were cut. The v-groove panels are floating (that X is just cosmetic because the liked the style). This had been consuming every precious moment of shop time I could get, but now that it is finished I almost miss working on it. :confused:

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with you. Hope you enjoy it!

Very nicely done. It's clean and we'll executed. Could you post another picture of it with the doors closed. I'm curious as to the panels/doors behind the roller doors. Thanks

glenn bradley
06-10-2017, 3:19 PM
Very nicely done. The barn door thing was wearing on me but, your clean and clever use of it gets a big thumbs up.

Kurt Owens
06-10-2017, 3:30 PM
Very nicely done. It's clean and we'll executed. Could you post another picture of it with the doors closed. I'm curious as to the panels/doors behind the roller doors. Thanks

Sure, but it will be a a few hours. There are no panels behind the doors. It is one long open cabinet and you can't close it off. Side them in the middle and the ends open, make sense?

Pat Barry
06-10-2017, 6:07 PM
Ok, I see. No picture needed then. Again, very nicely done cabinet.

Mike Baker 2
06-12-2017, 1:55 PM
Very nice and clean!

Mike Allen1010
06-13-2017, 4:09 PM
Great job Kurt – thanks for posting! I'm sure your friend will enjoy your credenza and will have a great story to tell when showing off to visitors – "yeah, my friend built this for me".

I look forward to seeing more of your work – thanks again for sharing.

All the best, Mike