PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 333 ROS converting to variable speed

Bill Dufour
06-09-2017, 12:29 PM
I have a Porter Cable 333 random orbit sander that I need to replace the bearings on. As long as I have it apart I was thinking about replacing the on/off switch with the variable speed switch, if the switch is cheap enough. Does anyone know if the switch case is the same dimensions or maybe the housings are different to hold the different switches?
Bill

lowell holmes
06-09-2017, 2:27 PM
Why don't you contact Porter Cable? A google search shows nothing.

Dave Sabo
06-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Ereplacement parts will have the schematics and parts (if available ) for this sander. Some parts are no longer available.

On on top of that, I think you'll find what they're charging for a switch is steep. You'll also need a new housing because the VS one is different.

My advice - look for another sander with VS. it'll be a lot chaper. Bearings, speed control, and a housing will easily run you $75 in parts. And you'll still have a sander that wears out your palm and forearm.

There are several good alternatives in the $100 range.

Davis Young
06-11-2017, 8:05 PM
The housing is different in that the VS housing is elongated and has a slot to accommodate the variable speed control thumb wheel.

lowell holmes
06-11-2017, 10:15 PM
I replaced my worn out Porter Cable sander with one from Home Depot that is a variable speed.
I regard it as being superior to my old one.