PDA

View Full Version : Kundig Uniq Sander Disaster

Anthony Spotorno
06-08-2017, 12:25 AM
About 3 weeks ago I purchased a Kundig Uniq edge sander from Holzher US. This is a very expensive machine, it was purchased NEW not used.

I was told it was in stock and could be delivered asap.

It finally arrived after 3 weeks and countless phone calls and emails, most of which went unanswered, and I am shocked at it's condition.

The machine was just shrink wrapped on a very small pallet, smaller than the machine. So while the shrink wrap was not torn the machine took a beating, bent several of the tables.

The machine was very dusty, dirty in fact.

The cast iron tops, which should have been coated in cosmoline or wax, were dry and had rusty hand prints.

No manual or any paperwork.

The power cord (this is a 3 phase machine) was very dirty like one gets laying on a shop floor, and you could tell someone just pulled off a attached plug and coiled up the cord.

Missing multiple parts, etc.

This machine must have been their floor model or used. I have several European machines and none of them have come this way before. They are usually very well crated.

I've sent them pictures and asked for some resolution.

I'm hoping they make it right, but with their track record so far of not answering calls makes me worried.

Bill Dufour
06-08-2017, 1:10 AM
Call the credit card company and cancel payment. That should get their attention and then let them contact you. There may be a deadline of complain in a certain time or you bought it.
Bill

John Sincerbeaux
06-08-2017, 1:13 AM
Wow!
sorry to hear that. I bought the same sander from Holzher about 5 years ago. Mine came perfectly crated and wrapped. In fact to date it was the best crated machine I have ever received, maybe better than my Martin TS.
Yours does not sound like it came from Kundig?
I just looked a few weeks ago if Holzher was still selling Kundig and I didnt see them listed on their website. In fact I don't think Holzher is listed as a North American dealer for Kundig? I may be wrong? I'll check again.
Holzher has to make that right for you!

John Sincerbeaux
06-08-2017, 1:16 AM
Just thought of something else. If your machine was truly new, it would have NOT had a cord installed at all.

Rick Potter
06-08-2017, 4:13 AM
Agree. Stop payment immediately.

Martin Wasner
06-08-2017, 8:33 AM
Just thought of something else. If your machine was truly new, it would have NOT had a cord installed at all.

Some machines do get tested before going out the door.

Martin Wasner
06-08-2017, 8:40 AM
Btw, that's a pretty sweet edge sander. I'd be cheesed off too if it showed up in anything less than immaculate condition. My guess is it was used as a showroom demo machine since it had been cleaned, powered up, and poorly repackaged

Erik Loza
06-08-2017, 9:05 AM
... My guess is it was used as a showroom demo machine since it had been cleaned, powered up, and poorly repackaged

Mine as well ^^^ Or, a machine that was returned by a previous customer for whatever reason and just deemed "Good to send back out". As much as I would love to say that this sort of thing is a rare occurrence, you would be surprised how many other dealers have tried to get away with it. I am thinking of two that I used to work for. "That machine was practically new. What's his problem with it?", LOL. I recall on any number of occasions having to basically tell management, "No, he paid for a brand new machine. We can't send a demo unit without asking first".

To the OP, I'm sorry to hear about this. If I were in your shoes, I don't know that I would go to the nuclear option of initiating a chargeback just yet but I absolutely would call every day and document every interaction and let them know that this will get escalated to the nuclear option if they don't step up to the plate. I hope you get this fixed as quickly as possible.

Erik

Anthony Spotorno
06-08-2017, 9:09 AM
Unfortunately, they required a wire payment for the machine, so I cannot stop payment...

Regarding the cord, that is what I thought... None of my 3 phase machines have come with a cord attached either.

The machine is without a doubt a floor model / demo unit. I still cannot believe they just wrapped it in plastic, put it on a small pallet and shipped it. Honestly, how did they not think it would be damaged in shipping?

Erik Loza
06-08-2017, 9:26 AM
Unfortunately, they required a wire payment for the machine, so I cannot stop payment...

Regarding the cord, that is what I thought... None of my 3 phase machines have come with a cord attached either.

The machine is without a doubt a floor model / demo unit. I still cannot believe they just wrapped it in plastic, put it on a small pallet and shipped it. Honestly, how did they not think it would be damaged in shipping?

I won't presume to speak for the dealer but two of the companies I used to work, at one point of another, delivered crates where, after the customer sent me pics, asked myself, "How the heck did the warehouse think that was going to arrive in one piece?". In my case, it was probably because the warehouse didn't have or couldn't get the unit you ordered in a reasonable amount of time and didn't want to lose the order or (unfortunately) just thought the customer would not care if they unloaded a demo unit on him. And some shops don't care but as a rep, I would have never knowingly try that without proposing it to the customer first.

I won't tell you what to do but here is what I would do if I were in your shoes. First, do you need this machine for production use? Do you have jobs waiting? Forget your dissatisfaction for a moment. Do you need that machine up and running now? If so, I might let them know that I was unhappy but that I might be willing to keep the machine if they were willing to refund me a portion of the price, send the spare parts on an agreed-upon timeline, and extend the warranty. Or possibly you just have a bad taste in your mouth and want to return it to go another route? If that was the case (and that's 100% your call) I would communicate that I was willing to secure legal counsel unless they worked with me to my satisfaction. This is for sure above small claims court. Again, just how I would handle it. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Erik

John Sincerbeaux
06-08-2017, 10:14 AM
My Kundig had no cord when it arrived. It was on a very stout pallet and enclosed completely with plywood. And when I got inside, the machine was completely enveloped in a silver foil wrap. The machine had that "new machine" smell that lasted for months.

You could email Kundig the serial# and find out when it was manufactured and shipped.

I checked last night and I don't see Kundig on Holzher's website and I don't see any U.S. dealers on the Kundig website?

Joe Jensen
06-08-2017, 11:13 AM
I have been interacting with Holzer on an inquiry about a Kundig Uniq and was told by the salesman that they are indeed still the US dealer for Kundig and that their website is under redesign.

Thanks so much for this report. This kind of thing really turns me off on dealers. Please post updates on how Holzer handles it. I personally would not accept a discount unless very deep, like 50%,

Steve Demuth
06-08-2017, 1:33 PM
Too late to be of help now, but in my world any vendor of a retail product that insists on wire transfer payments is a vendor I don't do business with absent an ironclad contract or buyer's rights agreements. There is no legitimate reason to insist on wire transfer for retail purchases. Any vendor who does immediately raises a red flag as to their real intent in my mind - why does this outfit want a pure financial transfer without any contractual / buyer's rights language around it? Probably not something that benefits you.

Joe Jensen
06-08-2017, 3:45 PM
Too late to be of help now, but in my world any vendor of a retail product that insists on wire transfer payments is a vendor I don't do business with absent an ironclad contract or buyer's rights agreements. There is no legitimate reason to insist on wire transfer for retail purchases. Any vendor who does immediately raises a red flag as to their real intent in my mind - why does this outfit want a pure financial transfer without any contractual / buyer's rights language around it? Probably not something that benefits you.

Hi Steve, this seems pretty common on the industrial machines. I know that Felder USA, Martin Canada, Houfek Canada all charge a 50% deposit on order (all are custom built) and 50% on shipment from the factory. Apparently this Kundig was not a custom built machine. The Holzer rep did say that they stock the Kundig Uniq but not the Kundig Uniq S, and they stock single and dual head 43" sanders but not 37" sanders....joe

Anthony Spotorno
06-08-2017, 6:24 PM
I have machines from Felder, Martin and SCM (Minimax). All of them wanted payment up front. Felder has been the only one that allowed me to make the deposit via CC and the rest via check or wire transfer. So having Holz-Her/Weinig ask for the balance up front did not seem any different. Contracts were signed.

I did hear back from them today:

1. It was their "Demo" machine!!! However, at no time did they state that they were going to sell me their "Demo" unit. I paid for new.
2. The sales person apologized for the inadequate packaging that went on the machine, basically took the machine off of the floor wrapped it plastic and dropped it on a pallet.

Heh, do not see how any manuf could let a machine sit on their "demo" area with rusty full hand prints on the cast iron table surface!

i stated that I wanted a replacement "New" machine, and when I get the new machine they can at the same time pickup the old one.

He stated that he would call me back tomorrow with more information after he discusses it with everyone.

I'm not sure I would purchase from them again. I called and left VM / emails several times with no response. Honestly, I had to threaten them to get a response, poor customer service.

We'll see what they do tomorrow.

Bruce Page
06-08-2017, 6:29 PM
Be sure to take several pictures of all damage, handprints, scrapes, etc.

Dave Sabo
06-08-2017, 9:22 PM
If you "wired" the money into the account , you can wire it back out again. Assuming it wasn't a shell accnt.

Mike Heidrick
06-08-2017, 9:53 PM
Sounds like a great machine to get a deal on. None of what you stated sounded bad except bent tables maybe. Not for new money obviously so i hope you get what you want.

Bill Dufour
06-09-2017, 12:34 AM
Bankers manage to get the money out of your account after the Nigerian scammers check bounces. So I think a wire transfer can be undone within a time frame. Check with the transfer company.
Bill

Rick Fisher
06-09-2017, 1:17 AM
That would really bother me ..

I bet a big shop would be less fussy than an owner operator. Holzher will need to make that right.

Steve Demuth
06-09-2017, 5:37 PM
Could be, but there is absolutely no way I would do a wire transfer without a contract describing terms for redress. The typical terms for a wire transfer at your bank will make it very clear that the transfer is final and cannot be cancelled after execution. It's the equivalent of handing over a wad of cash to a person you've never met. Unlike a credit card transaction, e.g., the channel itself gives you no legal safeguards, so you're at the mercy of the receiver.

Bill Dufour
06-09-2017, 6:01 PM
There is an implied contract that the machine sold by a machine dealer will arrive intact and be usable for the intended purpose. Since they ship these things all the time they are supposed to know how to pack it for shipment. That is one reason why you pay a little more to buy from a dealer instead of a private party. The dealer is supposed to know what they are doing.
Bill

Dan Friedrichs
06-09-2017, 6:37 PM
If you "wired" the money into the account , you can wire it back out again. Assuming it wasn't a shell accnt.

They can wire it back to you (if they choose), but there's no "taking back" a wire.

Anthony Spotorno
06-10-2017, 12:47 AM
I appreciate everyone's comment. The main concern is I purchased a new machine not a floor model. If it was the floor model, I would have been prepared and paid accordingly.

I spoke with Holzher today and was given 4 options:

1. They take back the machine and give me a full refund.
2. They take back the machine refurbish it, and return it to me, no compensation was offered. They stated that it was a floor model and consider it new. They are mostly focused on the poor packaging.

Options 3 and 4 really depend on the machine. They are going to pick it up and evaluate the damage. They have a wood show in July in LV and need a Uniq there. They have a Uniq S model in stock but need to see if they can use the Uniq instead. I have a feeling that the Uniq S is a floor model as well.

3. Pick up the machine evaluate it, if ok, then offer me the Uniq S and pay the diff.
4. If the machine is not ok, then if I wanted to upgrade to the Uniq S I'd have to wait till Aug, but still pay the diff.

I was told that I'd have a quote today for the diff, it never arrived.

They have had my money for 3 weeks so far. I was asked to put the machine back on the pallet and a truck will be here in the next several days to pick it up, they hoped I would package it up better so it was not damaged in shipping...

I'm assuming that I will hear back on Monday. While I would really like a Kundig sander, it is looking more and more that I will be getting a refund.

Joe Jensen
06-10-2017, 2:42 AM
I appreciate everyone's comment. The main concern is I purchased a new machine not a floor model. If it was the floor model, I would have been prepared and paid accordingly.

I spoke with Holzher today and was given 4 options:

2. They take back the machine refurbish it, and return it to me, no compensation was offered. They stated that it was a floor model and consider it new. They are mostly focused on the poor packaging.

Options 3 and 4 really depend on the machine. They are going to pick it up and evaluate the damage. They have a wood show in July in LV and need a Uniq there. They have a Uniq S model in stock but need to see if they can use the Uniq instead. I have a feeling that the Uniq S is a floor model as well.

3. Pick up the machine evaluate it, if ok, then offer me the Uniq S and pay the diff.
4. If the machine is not ok, then if I wanted to upgrade to the Uniq S I'd have to wait till Aug, but still pay the diff.

I was told that I'd have a quote today for the diff, it never arrived.

They have had my money for 3 weeks so far. I was asked to put the machine back on the pallet and a truck will be here in the next several days to pick it up, they hoped I would package it up better so it was not damaged in shipping...

I'm assuming that I will hear back on Monday. While I would really like a Kundig sander, it is looking more and more that I will be getting a refund.

[Trying to make light of the situation :)] Let them clean and fix it for the show and if it works have a friend buy it off the floor at a discount :)

Rick Fisher
06-10-2017, 4:02 AM
Post some pictures of the machine ..

Frederick Skelly
06-10-2017, 7:10 AM
I know doing business on industrial grade machines is different than hobbyist machinery like I buy.
But if I buy a car that was used for demos, I get a discounted price - it a isnt "considered new". The same is true with any floor model of anything else Ive ever bought.

Personally, Id be done with these folks now.

Andy Giddings
06-10-2017, 8:00 AM
I know doing business on industrial grade machines is different than hobbyist machinery like I buy.
But if I buy a car that was used for demos, I get a discounted price - it a isnt "considered new". The same is true with any floor model of anything else Ive ever bought.

Personally, Id be done with these folks now.
Agreed - HolzHer seem to expect you to accept their screw up without any compensation. I don't know what the relationship is between HolzHer Germany and the US business, but if it is a subsidiary, I'd be punting this up the chain

David Kumm
06-10-2017, 9:46 AM
Must be a high end Euro thing to equate demo with used. I've run into that with Mercedes, Audi, and Land Rover. If never titled, they are considered new even with 500-3000 miles. Now I always ask before negotiating. When dealing out of town, I always get new pictures and details. The pictures taken when the machine first arrives and is cleaned up are what usually stay on the internet. Trust but verify. Dave

Dave Sabo
06-10-2017, 11:19 AM
I'd be done with these guys. It's not likely to get better because they don't think new is the same thing as you do.

Their arrogance in thinking that you would/should repack the machine better then they did is also telling. They can send over some guys from a freight company with materials and instructions if they wanted , but I'd only return it in the same manner as it arrived.

Martin Wasner
06-10-2017, 1:28 PM
It's a crap situation, had they crated it properly you would've likely never known or cared that it was a floor model. I personally wouldn't care. It's got at most an hour of being on, and likely no real use.

Customer service on the whole certainly isn't what we would like it to be. A couple of days ago I delivered two cabinets that were too tall. Ten minutes after I hung up the phone the replacements were in production. By lunch the following day they were on site. I'm incapable of doing better than that when covering my bases on a failure like that. But, I take care of them because I'm going to be dealing with them again next week, and the week after, then the one after that, hopefully until we mutually break the relationship on good terms. Most of these machine companies know you're only going to be buying one or two pieces from them, but they need to adapt to the information age where bad news spreads much faster than the good.

John Sincerbeaux
06-10-2017, 4:42 PM
You guys are way too nice.
I view this as Blatant disrespect!
You have a guy who IN GOOD FAITH purchased a NEW very high-end piece of equipment.
He received a dirty, damaged, rusty machine.
I wouldn't give them a day to "make it right". They already made it wrong weeks earlier.

It's truly sad because the Kundig Uniq sander is a beautiful machine. This company has no business dealing this level of machine and I would certainly let Kundig know.

Everyone I knew from dealing w Holzher about 5 years ago are gone.

Jim Andrew
06-10-2017, 7:58 PM
When I was shopping for a new skidsteer in late '04, the dealer had a 40xt with 300 hours they considered "new". I passed, and later was told they had one more machine to be delivered by the first of the year, a new 60xt. I bought the latter one.

Rick Fisher
06-10-2017, 9:30 PM
I think I would just decide what you want and tell them.. if they say no, then ask for your money back .. No fuss.. I would simply want what I paid for, or my money back.

Darcy Warner
06-11-2017, 8:45 AM
yeah, like Randall said in clerks, cap or get off the pot.

Erik Loza
06-11-2017, 9:47 AM
....was given 4 options:
2. They take back the machine refurbish it, and return it to me, no compensation was offered. They stated that it was a floor model and consider it new...

SUCHHHHH a European answer, LOL.

I agree with everyone else: Go with Option #1. There is probably some shop out there that does not care that it was a demo unit but it doesn't sound like you. I am sorry to hear this went down this way. This is not a knock against Holz-her but it was probably the brand I ran into the least when I was in the biz which tells me that they probably don't sell that many sanders. Holz-her was (and I assume still is) focused primarily on 'banders, beam saws, and Weinig moulders.

My advice to folks, especially hobbyists or one-man shops, is to base your buying decision on the brand that has the nearest dealership and support network to you. Brand would be secondary. Any new Euro widebelt ought to do what you need it to. OP, where are you located? Sorry if that got mentioned. SCMi or Stiles would be worth looking at. Just my 2-cents and best of luck with it all.

Erik

Frederick Skelly
06-11-2017, 9:55 AM
[My advice to folks, especially hobbyists or one-man shops, is to base your buying decision on the brand that has the nearest dealership and support network to you. Brand would be secondary. Any new Euro widebelt ought to do what you need it to. OP, where are you located? Sorry if that got mentioned. SCMi or Stiles would be worth looking at. Just my 2-cents and best of luck with it all.

Erik]

For folks who don't already know, Erik spent years selling high end machinery. He knows of what he speaks.

Erik, it's always good to hear from you. Hope the career change is going the way you want.
Fred

rudy de haas
06-11-2017, 12:16 PM
As others have said...

0) document everything - take pictures, write notes about ph conversations, treasure up any paperwork; if others were involved (e.g. in unpacking) get them to write up notes about what they saw or did, etc.

1) tell the seller you are talking to lawyers about it;

2) demand a full refund and return shipping at their expense - do it now and set a close deadline for satisfaction.

3) buy a replacement from someone else.

However.. if they are in financial trouble you'll be near the bottom of their creditor list and so will end up having learned an expensive lesson: never do a wire transfer without strong guarantees like good personal relationships or an escrow account with a third party.

Rick Fisher
06-11-2017, 2:01 PM
SUCHHHHH a European answer, LOL.

I agree with everyone else: Go with Option #1. There is probably some shop out there that does not care that it was a demo unit but it doesn't sound like you. I am sorry to hear this went down this way. This is not a knock against Holz-her but it was probably the brand I ran into the least when I was in the biz which tells me that they probably don't sell that many sanders. Holz-her was (and I assume still is) focused primarily on 'banders, beam saws, and Weinig moulders.

My advice to folks, especially hobbyists or one-man shops, is to base your buying decision on the brand that has the nearest dealership and support network to you. Brand would be secondary. Any new Euro widebelt ought to do what you need it to. OP, where are you located? Sorry if that got mentioned. SCMi or Stiles would be worth looking at. Just my 2-cents and best of luck with it all.

Erik

Its an edge sander, not a wide belt.. I have an ACM / Felder, I think the Kundig is a better machine.. Just a matter of getting one delivered in-tact and he will likely never need Holzer again .. lol ..
What else is there ? Volpato ? Langzauner is probably double ?

Larry Edgerton
06-11-2017, 2:27 PM
This is why I prefer to take my flatbed and go pick machines up. I do as small a deposit as possible and take cash. If I am happy, I bring it home. If not, worst case I lose my deposit.

I have not had good luck with shippers, going both ways.

Darcy Warner
06-11-2017, 3:46 PM
never had an issue shipping or having stuff shipped. sent stuff to both coasts and had stuff shipped from both coasts.

Joe Calhoon
06-11-2017, 5:38 PM
I bought my Kundig wide belt from them 15 years ago. At the time Keith Paxton was running that department and customer service was very good. I understand he has been gone for a while. I hope they make it good for you.

Ray Newman
06-11-2017, 6:48 PM
I wonder how this was resolved? this thread is a year old....

Frederick Skelly
06-11-2017, 6:56 PM
I wonder how this was resolved? this thread is a year old....

It was posted 6/7/2017 friend.

Ray Newman
06-11-2017, 11:00 PM
FS: you're right I was recently reading a thread on another site that was a year old with current responses and confused the two. Old age is setting in way too fast!

Rick Fisher
06-11-2017, 11:22 PM
FS: you're right I was recently reading a thread on another site that was a year old with current responses and confused the two. Old age is setting in way too fast!

Starting to notice that myself .. ugh ..

Anthony Spotorno
06-12-2017, 11:13 AM
Just got off of the phone with Holz-Her

1. They offered to refurbish the machine and ship it back to me, no $ compensation.
2. Full refund
3. Or I can purchase the S model. The S model moves my investment to over 21k and I do not do enough production runs to need the power feeder, nor justify the thousands more for an edge sander.

Final status: I'm returning the unit for a full refund.

This machine was almost 17k, a big investment for any shop... I expected a new machine not the floor model, and delivering a floor model with defects was very bold and rash imo. There are other units, while not as nice as the Kundig that I can purchase for thousands less and they will be fine for our shop.

Yes, I could have kept the machine, the damaged parts could have been replaced, the rusty hand prints on the cast iron could have been sanded out, but overall the experience with Holz-Her has been very poor, until I told the sales rep that I was calling my lawyer, they would not return emails or calls, what does that say about the type of service I would have received after the sale...

So now off to research another edgesander. Thanks everyone for your comments, oh and to the person that mentioned they were talking to Holz-Her about a Kundig, they will soon have a "New" unit for sale lol.

Joe Jensen
06-12-2017, 2:11 PM
The $17K is higher than the $13K a Holzer rep told me maybe 3 weeks ago. He had inventory of the Uniq but not the Uniq S. There was a really nice 2009 Uniq that sold at auction a few weeks ago for around $6K US but it looked like I'd spend over $4K getting it to Arizona so I passed.

John Sincerbeaux
06-12-2017, 3:31 PM
I paid 15k for mine (new) about 5 years ago.
Here's my theory.
Holz-her is no longer a "current" dealer of "new" Kundig machines.
Their website no longer lists Kundig.
Kundig no longer lists Holzher.
Why did Holzher not offer to order a new machine?
"website not updated"???? Not buying it!

I should have have a legitimate answer by tomorrow😀

Anthony, why not make a trip to Germany/Austria, visit Kundig in person and order a "new" Uniq (US spec) have them ship it direct? I have visited two separate factories in Germany and seen my actual machines in production. Both trips were a blast and the German factory reps treated me and my wife like gold.

peter gagliardi
06-12-2017, 4:55 PM
You could get a very nice used unit with more capacity in length and height from either Oakley or Wysong and Miles for about 1/3 the cost. Edgesanders are pretty basic machines, and if you were worried you could hire a guy to go thru it for only about $1000-1500.00
The only thing I see the kundig does different is that the belt mechanism tilts instead of the table- probably a headache waiting to happen over time too.
I bought a real clean and well cared for Oakley 648 oscillating unit from a small furniture company when the owner retired. I paid somewhere right around 2k for it.
Ekstrom Carlson is a good name as well, but they are rarer.

Joe Jensen
06-12-2017, 5:30 PM
I paid 15k for mine (new) about 5 years ago.
Here's my theory.
Holz-her is no longer a "current" dealer of "new" Kundig machines.
Their website no longer lists Kundig.
Kundig no longer lists Holzher.
Why did Holzher not offer to order a new machine?
"website not updated"???? Not buying it!

I should have have a legitimate answer by tomorrow

Anthony, why not make a trip to Germany/Austria, visit Kundig in person and order a "new" Uniq (US spec) have them ship it direct? I have visited two separate factories in Germany and seen my actual machines in production. Both trips were a blast and the German factory reps treated me and my wife like gold.

I would bet you are correct, this conclusion fits the data best. We will be able to confirm at AWFS...joe

Anthony Spotorno
06-12-2017, 6:36 PM
I would bet you are correct, this conclusion fits the data best. We will be able to confirm at AWFS...joe

The sales manager stated that they are bringing a Uniq S to the show, and that it was new in the crate still... Not sure why they would bring it to the show if they were not authorized to sell it.

I'm already scheduled to be in Germany in Oct. Dunno how the wife will feel about taking time to go to factory. I'd love to see Martin's factory, a sales rep from one of their dist is supposed to be here tomorrow to discuss a new table saw.

I've checked, and at this point do not see any other dist for Kundig, will have to check Oakley, Wysong or Miles and others have mentioned.

Darcy Warner
06-12-2017, 7:49 PM
Mattison edge sanders were tanks as well. got to love a 3600 pound 8x64 edge sander.

Joe Jensen
06-12-2017, 8:38 PM
The Oakley or Wysong and Miles type edge sanders are very different. The Euro edge sanders have one side like the big cast iron sides and the other side has a veneer sanding unit that can be adjusted to remove a very small amount. You can even use them with a power feeder to sand finishes between coats. They are quite different from the big old iron edge sanders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nowabCJzm5A

Rick Fisher
06-12-2017, 8:48 PM
The Oakley or Wysong and Miles type edge sanders are very different. The Euro edge sanders have one side like the big cast iron sides and the other side has a veneer sanding unit that can be adjusted to remove a very small amount. You can even use them with a power feeder to sand finishes between coats. They are quite different from the big old iron edge sanders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nowabCJzm5A

The veneer sanding side with a feeder is a really nice option. I have it .. and use it more and more .

Rick Fisher
06-12-2017, 8:50 PM
I would ask for a new Uniq .. you may have to wait 3-4 months.. but its life.. Email Kundig.. see if they respond .. Also, there may be a new Uniq in Toronto.

Joe Calhoon
06-12-2017, 9:39 PM
The split fence on those are good for uniform removal of solid wood as well. I had a chance to use one in a shop we installed a CNC machine in. Nice machines and you get a built in OSS all in one compact machine.

Anthony Spotorno
06-15-2017, 3:14 PM
The Uniq was picked up by FedEx today. For future reference, never ship anything via FedEx Freight. The driver put the sander on the lift gate too close to the truck when he raised the lift gate, crunch more damage...

I had told Holz-Her to just refund my money, and they had agreed. However, I did look for alternatives and veneer sanding is the feature I wanted most. Not too many edge sanders have that option. So in the end Holz-Her and I have come to an agreement. I will be receiving the Uniq S model, new in a crate in the next 2 weeks, no freight charge and a very discounted price on the unit.

They are looking on how to get it to me without using FedEx so it is not damaged.

I'll keep this thread up to date with when / how the new unit arrives.

Frederick Skelly
06-15-2017, 9:16 PM
Good for you! Look forward to hearing more.

Darcy Warner
06-16-2017, 12:30 AM
I just shipped two machines via FedEx freight last week, the drivers were great. Of course I have a fork lift so no need for a lift gate. I have pretty much had almost every freight company there is pick up and drop off machinery with no issues ever.

Joe Calhoon
06-16-2017, 6:37 AM
I avoid common carriers when shipping or receiving machines. There are brokers who specialize in arranging one truck shipments with air ride trailers and it is not much more than common carrier especially if you are in a populated area. The shipment stays on one truck from loading till it gets to you. They will have other items they are dropping of and picking up on the way.

Martin ships all their machines this way and HolzHer shipped my wide belt this way. Transit time and pickup can vary depending on location and you do need a forklift to load or unload. With this method machines do not need to be fully crated. On a pallet and shrink wrapped is all.

John Sincerbeaux
06-16-2017, 2:15 PM
I agree with Joe.
My martin was shipped via a brokered air-ride, open sided truck.
My Phase Perfect was shipped on FedEx.

Martin Wasner
07-05-2017, 7:14 PM
Did you get this resolved? I know of a lightly used Felder edge sander that is available. I believe it's listed here in the classifieds. I just bought his planer that he had listed. It's in upstate New York.

Eric Keller
07-05-2017, 9:13 PM
yes, resolved, he posted a few posts back

If someone did this to me, I think I would offer to connect them up with the local company that packages and ships things. They really don't charge much more than the shipping to do the packaging right. Sounds like it would have been worth it for them, since Fedex did more damage to it. I wouldn't be interested in providing any labor for them

Rick Fisher
07-05-2017, 10:05 PM
There is an Italian company called Volpato ? That also makes a good looking edge sander with Veneer sanding .. Langzauner makes an amazing machine but I think its over $25K ..

http://www.volpatolasm.com/pdf/lbk150st1.pdf

I have no idea but would guess the Volpato is more money as well.. its pretty much got everything plus the kitchen sink .. 1640 lbs.. no lightweight ..

David Davies
01-22-2020, 7:32 PM
Bringing back this thread for an update on Holzer and their customer service. I too bought a new Kundig Uniq an I opted for the grooved infeed fence. When it arrived the dust collection shroud for the infeed fence was overlapping the grooved portion of the fence making it unusable as intended. I email Holzer about it and within a week they had a service tech drive over from Ft Worth to Shreveport to modify the shroud to accommodate the grooved fence. No questions asked they just scheduled the appointment the day after I sent them an email about the situation. Speaking with the tech (Mark) I was informed they had hired a new service/customer relations manager (Simon) so perhaps they realized they had a problem and fixed it. No issues buying from them again.
Dave Davies

Anthony Spotorno
01-23-2020, 1:01 AM
Great to hear! I love the Kundig... Only thing I wish they would have used a more standard sleeve for the spindle sanding option...

David Zaret
01-23-2020, 8:40 AM
glad to hear this all worked out. when mine arrived, i was blown away by the quality of the packaging - the pallet was one of the nicest i've ever seen, i think i kept it. the machine was pristine when unpacked, despite a long journey. the kundig certainly is a nice machine, i just wish it used standard belt sizes.

Peter Kelly
01-23-2020, 10:17 AM
Wonder if the original unit had been on display at a trade show, would explain the mismatched pallet and stretch film.

Erik Loza
01-23-2020, 10:38 AM
I know technician Mark. Lives in San Antonio if we're talking about the same person. Was visiting a shop in my area and there was a bright orange Mini Cooper parked in front, which is an unusual vehicle to see at a cabinet shop (99% trucks). My wife has the exact same make and color, so I struck up a conversation and we ended up talking for almost an hour. Super cool guy.

Erik

David Davies
01-23-2020, 10:48 AM
Erik,
In fact, I believe he said he lives in San Antonio. Former cabinet shop worker before being hired by Holzer. Yes, he's a really nice guy and his solution to fix the sander was much better than what I envisioned.
Dave

Bruce Wrenn
01-25-2020, 8:49 PM
glad to hear this all worked out. when mine arrived, i was blown away by the quality of the packaging - the pallet was one of the nicest i've ever seen, i think i kept it. the machine was pristine when unpacked, despite a long journey. the kundig certainly is a nice machine,

i just wish it used standard belt sizes.If you are referring to sanding belts, Klingspor can make them for you. May even stock them.