PDA

View Full Version : Morning Walk

lowell holmes
06-07-2017, 9:47 AM
The street I live on is 5/16 mile from end to end. It is lined with oak trees and has an intersection at the middle of the street.

I walk four lengths of the street daily. I do it early in the day. I am approaching old age (I'm 81) and I do it because I can and
also because I want to continue doing it. I don't hurt and feel blessed . Today is a bright sunshiny day.

It gives me time to reflect on life, relationships, and family. I do this year round, but the climate is good in Galveston County Texas.

There is an overhanging branch towards the end of the street that I can touch and I touch it daily.

I thought I would share this.

Stan Calow
06-07-2017, 9:52 AM
Keep going Lowell! I think walking makes the difference in people who are happier later in life.

BOB OLINGER
06-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Hi Lowell,

Thanks for sharing. I, too, thank God everyday for good health. Wish you the best.

Prashun Patel
06-07-2017, 12:26 PM
81?! I had no idea. My dad's 76 and both he and I are grateful that he's still so active in spirit, mind, and body.

My dad wouldn't have ANY idea how to jump on an internet forum, though, so you have that on him!

Congrats!

BTW, I spent my college summers in Houston, and frequented Galveston. This was in the 90's though. I thought Austin got nothing on the bar/music scene compared to Galveston.

Jim Koepke
06-07-2017, 12:36 PM
Good for you Lowell.

I am currently attending Cardio Rehab 3 times a week because it makes me exercise. I was trying to get in a walk like yours, but living in a rural hilly area it doesn't feel safe walking on the roadway at times.

One of the rehab leaders mentioned that the folks who discontinue the regular exercise tend to end up back in the Cardio unit.

jtk

Ken Fitzgerald
06-07-2017, 1:30 PM
Lowell....I think staying active is important for longevity in this life and for enjoying it. This past January, my wife and I joined a local health club. We don't attend it at the same time and have totally different workouts. We both try to go, at least, 3 times a week. Exercise coupled with a diet has provided me with a 22 lb. loss of weight and frankly, I am feeling much better!

paul cottingham
06-07-2017, 1:33 PM
Good for you, Lowell. I miss my 4 times weekly swims; I swim a mile of mixed strokes. I still can't drive after my last incident with my noggin, and getting to the pool is tough.

My dad walked incessantly when we had to put him in a home. The first one had a pool, he loved that. When he was managing a local dairy, while his employees were having martini lunches, he would walk to a nearby pool and swim 1/2 a mile!

John K Jordan
06-07-2017, 2:01 PM
The street I live on is 5/16 mile from end to end. It is lined with oak trees and has an intersection at the middle of the street.
I walk four lengths of the street daily. I do it early in the day. I am approaching old age (I'm 81) and I do it because I can and
also because I want to continue doing it. I don't hurt and feel blessed . Today is a bright sunshiny day.
It gives me time to reflect on life, relationships, and family. I do this year round, but the climate is good in Galveston County Texas.
There is an overhanging branch towards the end of the street that I can touch and I touch it daily.
I thought I would share this.

Your note made my day! Your walking philosophy is very much like mine - I reflect on things as I walk around the farm every day, blessed more than I can comprehend. Sometime I sing (no one lives close enough to offend!) I built trails and roads through the woods and on the edges of the fields to the beehives, horse pasture, barn & shop, etc, a real joy with nice weather, like today!

The walk to my mailbox is about the length of your street. I once wore a pedometer for a few days - I found I walked about 6 miles a day, more than I imagined. I'm 67 and my dr says keep it up. I know people 20 years younger who can barely get around, spending most of their time on the couch with snacks. Keeping up with the land and animals eliminates even the temptation to sit on the couch! (new baby llama here this week!)

I'm going to print your note and keep it for inspiration when I feel tired (or lazy!)

JKJ

Bill McNiel
06-07-2017, 8:29 PM
Lowell,
I too walk every day with my dog. We have several different routes (both in degree of difficulty and distance) that we take. They average from 3+ miles with only five hills to 5+ miles up the mountain. I am approaching 69 and strongly believe that exercise is essential as we age. Once we give in it becomes a very slippery downward slope. Keep it up sir!
Regards - Bill

Frederick Skelly
06-07-2017, 8:34 PM
Good for you Lowell! Keep on goin'.
Fred

John Ziebron
06-07-2017, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the inspiring post Lowell; that'll keep me going. I'm in the same predicament as Jim, and it's too far to drive to the nearest city that has sidewalks. I move around a lot during the day but arthritis in my left knee from surgery a year and a half ago started kicking in. So I bought a treadmill and started back lifting weights which they say now is really good for us older folks. I'd rather see the scenery outside while walking but Jeopardy is a good distraction.

John, thanks for sharing the baby llama pic. Too cute.

John K Jordan
06-07-2017, 11:27 PM
John, thanks for sharing the baby llama pic. Too cute.

The little girl was born Sun afternoon, about 5 weeks overdue (12 months, 3 weeks). They are on their feet within 1/2 hr, running the next day. The 1st-time mother wasn't quite sure about all this but caught on fast. Very protective!

JKJ

Mel Fulks
06-07-2017, 11:34 PM
thanks, Lowell. We all rejoice in your good health and happiness. Strangely ....your tree talisman story does not sound SAPPY...just a good way to stay LIMBER!

"There is an overhanging branch towards the end of the street that I can touch and I touch it daily."

Wayne Lomman
06-08-2017, 4:20 AM
Lowell, keeping upright and active this way is great. When walking you are master of your own destiny. Cheers

Prashun Patel
06-08-2017, 8:15 AM
Well played, Mel.

lowell holmes
06-08-2017, 10:05 AM
I did 1.49 miles this morning,3,644 steps, 2.2 mph. I only post this to encourage others to do this.

I often see birds and occasionally a deer might appear at one spot. The dogs don't even bark at me anymore.

If I miss a morning, it upsets my day.

Keith Outten
06-08-2017, 10:08 AM
After I completed Cardio Rehab three years ago I started using a treadmill and a total gym every morning five days a week rain or shine. My normal workload here at home also adds to my daily exercise with acres of grass to cut, a very large garden and maintenance chores on the house, barn, shop and several small storage buildings. I also bush hog my field behind the shop several times per year and my weekly weed trimming is about three hours.

My daily Cardio exercise and a low sodium diet is now a price I have to pay for the mistakes I made over decades of not getting regular checkups and way to much fast food.

Kurt Kintner
06-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Good for you Lowell.... Keep it up.....
l'm "only" 73, and go to the gym at least 3 times a week ....
There's a program called "Silver Sneakers", for people
over 65, that most gyms honor thru your health insurance....
This gets you a free membership... I've used it for several years..

dennis thompson
06-10-2017, 8:09 PM
I'm 73 and am lucky enough to live close to the ocean. I walk four miles a day on the boardwalk right on the Atlantic ocean, can't beat it!