PDA

View Full Version : Harry's shave club

Dave Lehnert
06-07-2017, 12:11 AM
Did not want to dig up an old post on here but was reading that some were getting a month out of a blade from Harry's.
I just received my first pack of blades and like them a lot. I am on week two with the same blade.

How long do you get out of one blade?

Anyone use Dollar Save Club?

FYI Target sells Harry's blades and other branded products in store.

Brian Henderson
06-07-2017, 1:27 AM
Did not want to dig up an old post on here but was reading that some were getting a month out of a blade from Harry's.
I just received my first pack of blades and like them a lot. I am on week two with the same blade.

How long do you get out of one blade?

Anyone use Dollar Save Club?

FYI Target sells Harry's blades and other branded products in store.

I get at least 3-4 weeks out of blades, in fact, I need to cut back and have them send them less frequently because I have so many.

Mike Berrevoets
06-07-2017, 6:21 AM
At least 3 weeks for me. I could probably go longer. I usually delay my shipments or I would have them piling up in the drawer.

Roger Nair
06-07-2017, 11:52 AM
I shave every three or four days whether I need it or not. Joking aside, I go the double edge safety razor route. Last blade purchase was about $13 dollars for a hundred pack of Personna blades. More than a year will pass before I have to order again, very frugal and trouble free.

Jim Koepke
06-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Of course this depends on how often one shaves and the toughness of their beard.

I like my Schick triple blade disposable. My last 5 pack was bought a couple of years ago. But then my beard usually grows without a trim in the colder months.

jtk

Chris Damm
06-08-2017, 6:36 AM
My last blade has lasted almost 47 years. I just found it in the back of a drawer. Of course I haven't shaved since 1970!

Robert LaPlaca
06-08-2017, 2:23 PM
So let me make sure I understand,a single Harry's blade is lasting considerablily longer than a week? And in some cases longer than 14 days? I can hardly get 5-6 days out of a single Gillette Mach III blade.

Bill Dindner
06-08-2017, 3:11 PM
I'm an electric shaver user. Use a Bosch 7 series, replace blades once a year

James Baker SD
06-08-2017, 9:11 PM
So let me make sure I understand,a single Harry's blade is lasting considerablily longer than a week? And in some cases longer than 14 days? I can hardly get 5-6 days out of a single Gillette Mach III blade.

I get close to 4 weeks from a Gullette Mach blade. I run it backwards (not cutting anything) against a towel then store it dry. I think storing it dry helps prolong the life.

Mike Henderson
06-08-2017, 9:29 PM
I buy the Gillette three blade ones in the plastic handles - I get a pack of 20 or more, don't remember how many come in a pack. I get several weeks out of each one. Been very satisfied with them.

Mike

Richard McComas
06-09-2017, 12:51 AM
Clark Howard says.......
https://youtu.be/9VK0fCYMtTc

Justin Ludwig
06-09-2017, 7:33 AM
I use Dollar Shave Club and buy their premium blade (4 for $9). I put a new blade on it April 15th. It's still shaving smooth. I can grow a beard like Grizzly Adams. I usually change mine when the moisture strip wears out.

They say to change blades every week, which is a total gimmick to purchase more blades.

Trick to making blades last? A quick squirt of IPA (not the beer, don't waste it) after you shave to evaporate the water. Oxidation dulls them as much as use.

Matt Meiser
06-10-2017, 6:56 AM
I'm doing Dollar Shave Club. I often only shave every 1.5-2 days depending on my running schedule and if I'm planning to leave the house. I've always used blades until I notice they are getting pretty bad which is usually way past their prime. I don't notice that these are any better or worse than the Gillette ones I used to use. Related, I've always, since I was a teen, used Edge shave gel. DSC sent a sample of their Shave Butter with my first order and I'm hooked on that now. I haven't looked at the economics but if its costing me more over the course of the year, its not much at all and I certainly "waste" a lot more money on even more frivolous things than that.

Justin Ludwig
06-10-2017, 8:41 PM
DSC sent a sample of their Shave Butter with my first order and I'm hooked on that now..I'm a fan of the Dr. Carvers shave butter too. Before that I didn't use anything, just shaved post shower when everything was soft.

Harry Hagan
06-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Some claim a longer life by drying the blades after each use.

I'm trying that with a hairdryer on a Gillette Fusion blade I started using December 31, 2016. (I looked up my purchase history on Amazon)

I don't have a heavy beard and don't shave every day—but that’s still pretty good. Maybe they’ll hire me to do some commercials!

Dimitrios Fradelakis
06-11-2017, 3:13 PM
I shave every three or four days whether I need it or not. Joking aside, I go the double edge safety razor route. Last blade purchase was about $13 dollars for a hundred pack of Personna blades. More than a year will pass before I have to order again, very frugal and trouble free.

Same here. I bought 100 Gillette 7 o' clock super stainless blades for 10 bucks. They will easily last me 2 years plus.

Todd Mason-Darnell
06-11-2017, 8:06 PM
Another for Dollar Shave Club. I also get their Executive Razors and use their shaving cream. Unlike others on this thread, I do change my blades every 7-10 days.

Justin Ludwig
06-11-2017, 9:52 PM
I do change my blades every 7-10 days.Just a curious question. Why?

Rod Sheridan
06-12-2017, 8:50 AM
I use a double edge safety razor.

Blades are about $20 for 100 blades, which means 200 shaving edges.

A blade lasts me almost 2 weeks so about 10 cents a week, hard to beat.

I also use Williams shaving soap in a mug, add hot water and you get the lather consistency you want, I tend to like a very wet lather for shaving............Rod.

Andrew Pitonyak
06-12-2017, 11:28 AM
IPA was mentioned as something to spray on the blades to dry them out. I had to look it up. IPA = Isopropyl alcohol, OK, that makes sense.

I use the Gillette Fusion 5 heads. I prefer them to the Gillette Mach 3.

I purchased some Harry's blades from Target to give them a try. I liked the handle.

Before mentioning the blades, let me say that I use the Gillette Fusion shave gel for sensitive skin. I really like it and it works well with the Gillette Fusion 5 heads. My youngest daughter LOVES to smear the shaving cream all over my face and she really rubs it in. I find it works better if I do not rub it in that aggressively I think that it works better.

With Harry's blades, I had trouble with "stuff" being caught between the blades. This was very pronounced when I used the Gillette Fusion shaving cream. They blades were less likely to do this when I used $1 a can cheap shaving cream from Target.

I ultimately chose to not use Harry's because I was so often having stuff between the blades that I could not simply rinse out. I have not had this problem with the Gillette blades. I did not use these often enough to comment on how long I can use a blade.

Rick Moyer
06-12-2017, 5:38 PM
I use a double edge safety razor.

Blades are about $20 for 100 blades, which means 200 shaving edges.

A blade lasts me almost 2 weeks so about 10 cents a week, hard to beat.

I also use Williams shaving soap in a mug, add hot water and you get the lather consistency you want, I tend to like a very wet lather for shaving............Rod.
Me too. Here's a link to my shaving stand post: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?233026-Shaving-Stand&highlight=shaving+stand
I usually don't shave every day so double edge blades are non-issue as far as cost. I also like shaving soap, which you can get into a good lather.

Todd Mason-Darnell
06-12-2017, 6:27 PM
Just a curious question. Why?

That is when I notice a difference in the comfort of the shaving process and the quality of the shave. I shave in the shower and leave the razor in there afterwards. We have very hard water, so it could be a mineral build up on the blades. I also can have a heavy/course, though not dense beard, if that makes sense. Most days, I could shave twice a day with no issues.

Not saying that everyone should be changing their blades every week, that is just what I do. Since I switched to Dollar Shave Club, I do not even hesitate to change the blade.

Brett Luna
06-12-2017, 6:33 PM
If I still used the multi blades, I'd probably give Harry's a try. But I've been shaving with a straight razor for almost 11 years and I just ordered my first safety razor. Not that I shave that much of my face, anyway.

Todd Willhoit
06-13-2017, 12:07 AM
We had an interesting thread a while back:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?218859-Shaving-Schick-Krona

James Baker SD
06-13-2017, 6:59 AM
If I still used the multi blades, I'd probably give Harry's a try. But I've been shaving with a straight razor for almost 11 years and I just ordered my first safety razor. Not that I shave that much of my face, anyway.

never had the courage to use a straight razor on my throat.. I do use a straight razor on my hair (Thinning but no bold spots yest) cutting the front is pretty easy looking in the mirror. doing the back was harder To learn, but I can now tell how long in my back by stretching it the other hand. with practice you can do s pretty decent job. still not perfectly evenly as check in a mirror when I am done

Dan Hulbert
06-13-2017, 8:24 AM
I've been using Dollar Shave for a few years now and love it. The Shave Butter is the best. I typically get a couple of weeks out of a blade and I shave every day. I switched when W**mart started making you go to the counter to get blades. Hated being treated like a criminal. Automatic delivery makes it a no brainer for the wife and me.

Brett Luna
06-13-2017, 12:49 PM
never had the courage to use a straight razor on my throat..

I felt a little trepidation when I first started but got through it in short order. Light pressure is the key along with keeping the stroke straight at first. Save the oblique, "scything" strokes for later when the hand is more sure of itself. I'm not naturally ambidextrous but I learned to handle my straight with both left and right hands, even on my throat.

I forgot to mention my favorite things lather up with. I use a shaving soap most often and I'm fond of D.R. Harris products, such as the Marlborough scent. I use creams, too and since it's available at one store locally, it's usually Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar, sandalwood, or West Indian lime. I buy a tub every once in a while but more often, it's a tube for the travel kit.

Mike Baker 2
06-16-2017, 2:32 PM
I use a straight, a brush and good shaving soap. Won't ever go back to cartridge razors.
But if I were using them, Harry's looks like as good a place as any, and much better moneywise than anything Gillette offer.