PDA

View Full Version : Jet JWSS-10LFR

Matthew Honjo
06-06-2017, 7:38 PM
IN the market for a table saw. Found a Jet JWSS-10LFR on CL for $500. Looks in excellent condition. Is it a worthwhile buy?

Randal Blair
06-07-2017, 6:03 AM
I think that is a great saw - I like JET products and their product support.
For $500 you will always be able to get that money back if should you ever decide to sell it.
*disclosure - I own the Model JPS-10TS

Curt Harms
06-07-2017, 6:23 AM
I think whether it's a great buy depends on your area. The same machine might sell for significantly different prices in So. California and Charlotte NC. for instance. One advantage of the Jet is that it doesn't require 240 volt service like 3 H.P. cabinet saws. It would however probably require a circuit with not much else on it and preferably 20 amps. It seems like most people who have the hybrid saws find them perfectly adequate for hobby or small commercial shop use. If you were planning to saw 2"+ thick hardwoods all day long 1.75 H.P. might be a little light, for 3/4" hardwood and sheet goods (what I use mostly) I think it'd run all day long no problem. Take the time to set it up properly and consider a thin kerf blade for ripping thicker stock.

scott spencer
06-07-2017, 3:17 PM
If that's the original Jet Supersaw, (pretty sure it is), I would not buy it. They had a pretty well documented (http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/jet-super-saw-timing-belt-blade-height-adj-issue-40815/) problem with breakage of the blade height belt. It's a poor design that uses a "timing belt" to adjust the blade height, and is known to break the belts pretty regularly. They hard to come by, can be a pain to install, and can get a bit expensive...some folks went as far as to change the belt to a chain. It's just not something I'd want to get into at the $500 mark. Also, the fence is adequate, but not great. I think you can do better in the $500 range for a used saw.

Matthew Honjo
06-08-2017, 5:32 PM
Thank you for the responses. I decided to pass on the saw as I have read quite a bit of reviews of the belt braking and they seem expensive and difficult to come by.