PDA

View Full Version : ECE Primus Repair Advice Wanted

John Kananis
06-06-2017, 2:15 PM
I've owned this plane for about 10 years and absolutely love it. I don't have the issues everyone complains of, the rear knob doesn't need to be removed to remove the blade, it handle gnarly grain like a champ, etc...end rant.

Here's the thing, looks like the Lignum Vitae sole has 'chipped' somehow. I have a hunk of L-V (you can see it in the background) to use for the repair but not sure what type of glue to use. I'm thinking epoxy but would like insight from those that have successfully glued this beautiful wood. Thanks in advance.

Pete Taran
06-06-2017, 2:51 PM
I wouldn't even consider doing anything to a chip behind the cutting edge. It doesn't matter one bit to performance. Plus, that chip is very tiny....

John Kananis
06-06-2017, 2:53 PM
Ya, been using it for a while as is...it just bothers me (although I know I should leave it be). Your advice is valued - thanks for your input, Pete.

Edit: Pete, look at the side of the blade, not behind it.

Pete Taran
06-06-2017, 3:07 PM
Unless it's directly in front of the cutting edge, same advise applies. Looks like you can remove that entire sliding section if you ever do get a significant chip and replace it or trim it up. Unless shavings are getting caught in that small area of damage, I wouldn't fool with it.

John Kananis
06-06-2017, 3:17 PM
I occasionally have to clear some dust/shaving from that area - I can tell when it happens on a fine cut because the plane with ever-so-slightly lift from the workpiece. Only takes a second but still...

Allen Jordan
06-06-2017, 4:31 PM
Yeah, it probably won't affect the use. But if you want to glue lignum with PVA glue, you should first wipe all gluing surfaces down with mineral spirits, acetone, or a similar solvent to remove oils in the wood and let it dry completely before gluing. Epoxy might work better (though I would still do the wipe-down). My favorite epoxy is West Systems G/Flex.

Patrick Chase
06-06-2017, 4:51 PM
I wouldn't even consider doing anything to a chip behind the cutting edge. It doesn't matter one bit to performance. Plus, that chip is very tiny....

+1 to not messing with it.

If stuff is catching on it then you might want to clean it up a teeny bit with a needle file, but there's no reason to try to fill it in.

IIRC the "Lignum Vitae" on the ECEs is actually Bulnesia Sarmientoi.

John Kananis
06-09-2017, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Looks like she'll stay the way she is.