PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on moles

BOB OLINGER
06-05-2017, 11:11 AM
We've been battling moles in a portion of our yard. Historically, they've normally appeared in late summer. But this year, they are already there. I've tried a number of things including
insecticide to get rid of the grubs they feed on, treating the lawn with milky spores ( a 3 year application process), trapping, one brand of top dress mole repellent yard application, solar vibrating devices. Obviously, I've not tried everything, but does anyone have a good recommendation?

Keith Outten
06-05-2017, 11:18 AM
Build a mole knocker.

When my Dad moved to Gloucester County years ago his friend gave him two mole knockers that he built. Basically they are a standard yard windmill that you add two opposed wood blocks to the inside of the blades, they hit the main shaft when the blades turn. The noise transfers down the shaft into the ground and drives moles crazy and they will leave. My Dad cleared two acres of mole infestation in a couple months by moving the mole knockers around the yard every few days.

Mel Fulks
06-05-2017, 11:42 AM
Don't have them bothering anything ,but my neighbors do. They apply a commercial product consisting of clay cat litter treated with castor oil. Works well,but needs frequent application. I've offered to help them make their own using agricultural castor oil. Much cheaper

Robert Engel
06-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Jack Russell terrier = mole hunting machine

You'll have to fill in the holes, tho. :-)

Joe Tilson
06-05-2017, 1:11 PM
Peppermint oil on cotton balls down their holes. They can't stand it.It works on mice in the shop as well. Have been using it for five years now, no moles or mice. Tuna cans with cotton balls around the shop, put in a few drops once a month. One must stay with it though. The best peppermint oil is from Japan, more menthol than U. S. products.

Brian Deakin
06-06-2017, 4:29 AM
please see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas&t=69s

regards Brian

Wade Lippman
06-07-2017, 4:35 PM
I found poison bombs (like smoke bombs) worked well. That was 30 years ago; don't know if they still sell them.
I tried an electronic device like the knocker Keith referred to; it did nothing.

Bill McNiel
06-07-2017, 8:22 PM
Gopher Gas - available at your local BORG. I have used it for years and it is the one product/approach that actually gets rid of the moles that attack my yard every year. this is probably the product that Wade was referring to.

Lee Schierer
06-09-2017, 9:48 PM
My neighbor had mole problems and tried the Caddy Shack approach. He poured some gasoline down one of the holes waited a few minutes and the tossed a match on the hole. He had little balls of flame popping up all across his yard. No harm done but it was funny to watch. The moles came back so it didn't work.

Rich Enders
06-16-2017, 9:02 PM
Years ago my dad would flood them out. He shoved a hose into the hole, and wait for them to pop up.

Eric Keller
06-17-2017, 1:23 AM
snakes. Worked in our yard anyway. Snake ate the critters and then left.

phil harold
06-17-2017, 10:10 AM
I have great success on the farm with "Gopher Bait'' with strychnine
After the farmer used one of these in his field http://www.rodentblaster.com/
I had a few migrate to my property, So I did this:
Find tunnel,
excavate,
insert poison,
cover tunnel with small piece of plywood,
pack plywood with dirt to make light proof
find dead mole later by hole

Or they do make adapters to pump your trucks exhaust in to their tunnel too

Rod Sheridan
06-23-2017, 2:44 PM
Jack Russell terrier = mole hunting machine

You'll have to fill in the holes, tho. :-)

LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,That's exactly what our Jack Russell did to our back yard................Rod.