PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Helix - Questions

Ed Farina
06-04-2017, 9:13 PM
I just bought a second hand Epilog Helix 18x24 with rotary attachment online and I'm getting ready to pick it up at the seller's house (about a 2-1/2 hour drive from my place).

I have four questions:

I have a Honda Element whose rear hatch is ~39" tall . . . too short for the Helix (which is ~40" tall) and I figure I shouldn't lay it down during transit. Is the Helix base removable from the main "box" -or- Can I remove the wheels so it'll fit it in my Element?
Is there any special test or demo I should have them do to demonstrate proper operation (or expose problems)?
Any special packaging/securing I should do to protect the unit during transport?
Anything special I should know?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Bruce Clumpner
06-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Hey Ed,
I just went through the same issue for my new-to-me 75-watt.

To test, just run one of your jobs that you are familiar with, that includes both cutting and engraving. Know that these machines runs better on 220V that 110, so keep that in mind when you test the unit.

To move the laser, you can unbolt the laser cabinet from the base, just take off the side panels to access the 4 screws holding it together... You WILL NEED 2-PEOPLE to move it once it's apart. Your Element should be able to hold everything with the seats up, once it's apart.

Ed Farina
06-05-2017, 8:41 PM
Hi Bruce,
How do you remove the side panels? Lift off? Screws below?

Thanks for your help!

Ed

Bruce Clumpner
06-06-2017, 10:53 AM
6-screws in each side panel, pretty obvious. Then it opens up to see belts and pulleys, look at the bottom of the frame. 2 screws have threaded nuts attached to the frame so you can un-screw from the bottom. 2 screws have loose nuts, so you'll need a wrench on top and unscrew from the bottom.

Ed Farina
06-06-2017, 8:34 PM
That's easy and will transport and handling a piece of cake :)

Thanks,
Ed

Steve Busey
06-07-2017, 8:24 AM
Is there any special test or demo I should have them do to demonstrate proper operation (or expose problems)?

When I bought a used Helix, I sent the seller a logo image he would not otherwise have, and had him engrave it on the rotary jig and send a photo. He actually sent me a video of it. You could just have him engrave your name on something as well, and send you the pics.

Ask how old the tube is - it may be in need of replacement if it's beyond 3-5 years, so factor that into your purchase. (DAMHIKT...)