PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm, 45? rabbit? butt?

Doug Whitson
10-23-2005, 3:51 PM
25050Hi all, I'm making a kitchen storage cabinet for my sis for her BD/Xmas. It's been a while since I worked with ply and was wondering which way to go, bevel the edges at 45 deg. or do the old rabbit/step fit thing? I think the last time I did this I cut a solid piece, and put between. There will be a piece of granite on the top that overhangs by and inch in front and three inches on the left. Thanks for any input.
Doug in AZ.

Doug Shepard
10-23-2005, 4:12 PM
Jamie Buxton had a really cool joint in a thread a while back that might be worth looking into. It was a really long (and somewhat contentious) thread. Here's the two posts from it that show the how-to
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=190074&postcount=24
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=195538&postcount=42

I haven't personally used it (yet). Just mentally filed it away under "I gotta try that"

Doug Whitson
10-23-2005, 4:19 PM
That is a cool way to make a joint. Seems pretty labor intensive but loked like it worked well. That one was solid wood, think it would be ok in Ply?
Doug in AZ.

Jim Becker
10-23-2005, 5:01 PM
Sheet goods for cabinets is most often joined by glued and screwed butt joints, biscuited and glued butt joints or rabbetted and glued joints. Some folks are also using pocket screws with butt joints, too. Mitered corners are a pain in the butt ;) and really only need to be done if the edge is actually going to be seen. In your case, you'll have a piece of stone covering the cabinet and I certainly wouldn't miter them. The face frames or edging will hide whatever joinery you choose to use on the visible faces. That fancy joint isn't going to be easy to fabricate in plywood...nature of the beast.

Doug Whitson
10-23-2005, 6:57 PM
I thought I was just wimping out. Think I'll do the butt joint with careful drilling and screwing should work fine. I can hide the edge with oak tape and no one will be the wiser.
Doug