PDA

View Full Version : Help with Masking and Color Fill

Megan Farwell
06-04-2017, 2:03 PM
Hi All! Looking for the least PITA way to do this. I have stained wine boxes in dark walnut color. With just engraving, the engraving is not dark enough to show up against the wood. So I probably need to color fill, which I've never done before. I'm worried a tape mask will bleed which will effectively ruin a very expensive product. I've read about dishsoap too, but won't that mess up my woodgrain when I wash it off? Just trying to see if I am missing a simple solution. Thanks!

Gary Hair
06-04-2017, 2:35 PM
If you spray with clear before you color fill then the grain will be sealed and the color won't wick. Masking - I use Ikonics Laser Tape - not exactly cheap but it lasers clean and you can get great detail with it that you might not get with other types of tape like transfer tape.

Bert Kemp
06-04-2017, 2:35 PM
If you can clear coat before and after engraving that would be a good way. Clear coat then engrave then clear coat the engraving, this keeps the paint from bleeding. Masking would work if you can get a very tight fit over the wood then again clear coat the engrave part to seal the grain.

Hi All! Looking for the least PITA way to do this. I have stained wine boxes in dark walnut color. With just engraving, the engraving is not dark enough to show up against the wood. So I probably need to color fill, which I've never done before. I'm worried a tape mask will bleed which will effectively ruin a very expensive product. I've read about dishsoap too, but won't that mess up my woodgrain when I wash it off? Just trying to see if I am missing a simple solution. Thanks!

Joe Pelonio
06-04-2017, 3:47 PM
I use a high tax transfer tape, first vector cut at low power and remove the tale from the letters, the engrave, the paint fill. It doesn't bleed if you use a nice thick acrylic paint.

Tony Lenkic
06-04-2017, 5:22 PM
Here is another way to possibly achieve great results with simpler approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4qDwAcvaQU

Mike Null
06-05-2017, 8:13 AM
If you had used solid walnut a well-applied mask would serve without risking bleeding from the colorfill. Since you stained the wood, meaning it was likely a light color, it's very probable that the paint will bleed. Use a clear coat after masking and engraving and before colorfill.