PDA

View Full Version : Redbud

John W Johnson
06-03-2017, 11:36 AM
Most of my turning has been chair and table legs, or small Christmas ornaments. Mostly though I've turned legs for Windsor chairs. I did turn a couple of pens and small segmented bowls, but with retirement (hopefully) approaching, I want to try my hand with bowls and vases. My son in law is taking down several redbud trees this weekend. Is that wood worth saving for a total novice?

Reed Gray
06-03-2017, 11:51 AM
Well, for sure, the price is right. It can have some really pretty colors. Only down side is that it is kind of stringy so a bit difficult to cut cleanly.

robo hippy

Roger Chandler
06-03-2017, 1:18 PM
I've made a few turnings out of rebud. While not my favorite wood to turn, it made nice looking goblets and smaller bowls.

Richard Madden
06-03-2017, 4:34 PM
Absolutely, it's worth saving. I've turned just a few pieces of redbud...here's one. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?161900-Red-Bud-HF&highlight=

Thomas Canfield
06-03-2017, 9:07 PM
I had some dropped on me once. It has some unusual color and I found it very subject to checking. I would turn it again if some showed up but am not going in search for it. I think there was some odor to it also. It also seem to darken with time.