PDA

View Full Version : I would totally trust these guys.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-03-2017, 2:18 AM
They look like nice guys. I think the cops made up this whole story about them eating people in their basement. I mean- just look at them. Upstanding citizens if I ever saw them. It's a conspiracy to prevent their cure for diabetes and depression from getting out.

I'm feeling a little depressed. Who wants to volunteer a few fingers?

http://themiamigazette.com/cannibals-arrested-florida-claim-eating-human-flesh-cures-diabetes-depression/

Bill McNiel
06-03-2017, 1:09 PM
Malcolm,
Put down the umbrella drink, don't go near either the shaping or finishing areas and stay out of the direct sun for a month. This too will pass.

Bruce Page
06-03-2017, 1:31 PM
Interesting that Google Earth can't find Vernal Heights, Florida.

Mel Fulks
06-03-2017, 1:38 PM
Their lawyers will point out their humane practice of "free range" meat sources.

Mike Nolan
06-03-2017, 2:17 PM
Googe maps cannot find Toolson Lane. Toolson Drive is in Utah. So I guess I would trust those guys more than themiamigazette.com.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-03-2017, 2:42 PM
Ya know, I was wondering if it was real, but the other stories on that site seemed like normal stories. Still- someone took those mug shots. They look like good folks.

Jim Koepke
06-03-2017, 3:00 PM
The one in the middle looks like my drivers license photo. I figure if an officer stops me after a night on the town and takes a look at my license and a look at me he would let me go because they gave me a license looking like that. One of the clerks at the Washington Licensing Department made me take a second picture. After the second one he told me they might not issue a license due to the picture. It came in the mail, so what the heck. People who ask to see my license get a kick out of the picture and the story.

jtk

Jim Koepke
06-03-2017, 3:38 PM
Googling the name of the Police Chief finds one of the same name killed in another state.

There is this:

https://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cms/CJSTC/Documents/Agency-Addresses/Police-Department-Directory-5-28-15.aspx

It is a police department directory for the state of Florida and doesn't list an officer Moore.

A Google search on any of the other names or the address finds nothing tying back to the story. Searching on "cannibal arrest" mostly leads back to the same article.

If you want a strange story on cannibals in America look to Alfred Packer. The Colorado University Memorial Center has Restaurant & Grill named in his honor. It seem a lunchroom at a federal building for a short period of time had a plaque honoring him:

A plaque honoring the name of Alfred E. Packer at the U.S. Department of Agriculture's newest cafeteria has been removed from the wall and a bunch of Packer buffs are stewing over it.

The $29 plaque, paid for through private donations, honored the early pioneer and mountain guide who was convicted on five counts of alleged cannibalism in 1874.

Maybe it was a fitting name to honor in a federal building. This was in 1977. There is also a song about the Packer Cafe.

jtk

Tom Stenzel
06-04-2017, 1:29 PM
They look like nice guys. I think the cops made up this whole story about them eating people in their basement. I mean- just look at them. Upstanding citizens if I ever saw them. It's a conspiracy to prevent their cure for diabetes and depression from getting out.

I'm feeling a little depressed. Who wants to volunteer a few fingers?

http://themiamigazette.com/cannibals-arrested-florida-claim-eating-human-flesh-cures-diabetes-depression/

I will! I'm totally into finger food!

For a couple of years now I've told my 17 year old daughter that if she caught any boys not to bring them home as I don't know how to cook them. Right now her boyfriend is one of the football players. I'm going to have to get a big pot.

By the way I think it was Alferd Packer. When the cafeteria in Washington was named after him I remember the dust up in the papers years ago. Over the years I've mentioned it to people and no one remembered anything about it. Lucky thing the 'net didn't forget. One infamous part was when Packer was sentenced the judge supposedly said, "There were 7 Democrats in the county, and you et 5 of them!".

-Tom

Bill Gugel
06-04-2017, 2:24 PM
Idea for new "reality?" show Cannibal Wars.

Jerome Stanek
06-04-2017, 2:55 PM
what about these guys

Jim Koepke
06-04-2017, 3:18 PM
By the way I think it was Alferd Packer.

I have seen it listed both ways. Here is the beginning of the Wikipedia page:

Alfred Griner "Alferd" Packer (January 21, 1842 – April 23, 1907) was an American prospector who confessed to cannibalism during the winter of 1874.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
06-05-2017, 6:35 AM
what about these guys

Didn't we that one when they buried John Glenn?
The miami gazette will love this story - Cannibals from Space!
Watch out Malcolm...

Yonak Hawkins
06-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Snopes says the story is false : http://www.snopes.com/cannibals-arrested-florida/

The Miami Gazette web site is not the online operation of a legitimate newspaper but rather a fake news site. The Gazette’s disclaimer notes that the site’s original material is “satirical” in nature and fake news.

Jim Koepke
06-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Snopes says the story is false : http://www.snopes.com/cannibals-arrested-florida/

The Miami Gazette web site is not the online operation of a legitimate newspaper but rather a fake news site. The Gazette’s disclaimer notes that the site’s original material is “satirical” in nature and fake news.

Ahh, good old snopes to clear the air.

Are the guys in the picture staff reporters?

What do you call reporters for fake news companies? "Fakorters?" "Fakournalists?"

jtk

Mel Fulks
06-05-2017, 1:27 PM
Jim,I asked a reporter who was climbing a rope suspended in air to find its origin what he called himself. He said "fakir".

Jim Koepke
06-06-2017, 12:38 PM
What do you call reporters for fake news companies? "Fakorters?" "Fakournalists?"

jtk

CNN-er's

I wasn't aware that CNN is in the habit of doctoring stories like the network that has earned itself the moniker of "FAUX NEWS."

I used to read Huffington Post. With a recent change in management it seems to have gone from somewhat reasonable (with a bit of bias) to a sensationalist outlet to rival the National Enquirer.

With the story mentioned at the beginning of this thread, a Google search was made on > cannibal arrest florida <. There was very little reportage on this in the media. That was my first flag. Then a search was done on the name of the police chief. That led to a Florida State directory of police departments and chiefs. That raised the second flag. When the town nor the street could be found it was looking like a fake story.

This is my treatment for much of the news. If multiple nationally respected media sources have the same basic story from different views then it is less likely to be misinformation or a hoax. I have not found a single source that hasn't made an error at some time or another.

Real news organizations make an actual effort to provide an accurate source of news. A serious news room will not change stories or graphics to fit some editors political or religious beliefs. A serious news room will not ignore a story because it puts a political ally in a bad light. Those that have done these things to spread their owners agenda have fully earned their monikers of FAUX NEWS, fake news or just a load of $#!+.

BTW, there are quite a few organizations like the Onion and others who make up stories just for the fun of it. Most of these have clearly stated statements somewhere in their publications to make people aware of this. Of course many mis these disclaimers if they are not sought out. The Miami Gazette has a disclaimer page:

Disclaimer:

The Miami Gazette is an entertainment and satire web publication.

Much of the content found on The Miami Gazette is listicle or quiz style articles that have been properly sourced and were created for your entertainment.

The Miami Gazette also publishes largely NON-POLITICAL, satirical in nature, fake news articles – also created for your entertainment.

When it comes to fake or satirical news – we attempt stay away from publishing anything of a political nature (unless it’s something really silly) as our intent is not to stir up political outrage or debate. We simply aim to provide an outlet for our writers and contributors to develop creative, outrageous, and 100% fictional, tall-tales that our audience can enjoy reading and sharing with friends.

jtk

Mel Fulks
06-06-2017, 2:27 PM
There is one network that in start-up ANNOUNCED that the truth was "too important" to tell both sides of the story. So they are not biased ...they are just smarter. Too bad there are not enough smart people for them to make any money. But they know Mom and Dad are watching.

Frederick Skelly
06-06-2017, 6:23 PM
There's another Atlanta-based media outlet I trust no more than Faux news. :D