PDA

View Full Version : Kikuhiromaru Planes

Patrick Carpenter
06-02-2017, 10:31 PM
Does anyone have any experience with Kikuhiromaru smoothing planes? I've been looking around for a high-enough quality 70mm plane, preferably white steel #1, that is somewhere in the $400-$500 range. I checked with Mr. Iida and asked specifically about this maker because I've heard nothing but good things about their chisels, and I feel like I've seen at least some mention that their planes are just as good. Any thoughts?

Brian Holcombe
06-02-2017, 10:39 PM
I have two or three (?) kikuhiromaru planes and they're all excellent, mine are either in white 1 or blue 1, white 1 for smoothing of course.

That said, there are a few other makers of high quality 70mm smoothing planes, notably Takeo Nakano and Keisaburo.

You might contact Stan Covington and take his advice, I trust Stan's advice without question!

Patrick Carpenter
06-03-2017, 12:57 PM
I'm happy you mentioned those other two makers. The whole reason I'm asking is because I'm kind of trying to gauge whether I should order a something from Keizaburo, (spelling?)Nakano or one of the other well known makers or if Kikuhiromaru is right in there, performance-wise.
Thanks for your advice.

Brian Holcombe
06-03-2017, 2:42 PM
They're going to be pretty comparable, all fairly easy to sharpen and hold a keen edge for a long while. Keizaburo fit and finish might be slightly nicer.

Worth also considering Shogo Tanaka, if you can get one of his in super white (VAR) it's a very nice blade.

Patrick Carpenter
06-04-2017, 10:17 PM
Nice, another one to lust after :)
Do you know if the VAS super white steel is the same as "vacuumed" white #1 used in a couple of the Yamamoto planes? I was very close to taking the considerable backlash from my wife for spending a grand on one of those.
Thanks again for your advice. It's been super helpful.

Brian Holcombe
06-04-2017, 11:05 PM
My pleasure! It likely is the same, White 1 super is VAR or Vacuum Arc Remelted.